When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crystal + band shininess

MuffinFlavored

Bands: Is it common knowledge that it is near impossible to rep gold and I'm just late/not informed?

Is it that my watches are dirty/not shined with a certain special spray? I feel like it is very obvious from 5 feet away that my reps are fake because they do not shine/glisten like genuine watches do.

Is this true or is this in my head?

• 2 weeks later...

Bands: Is it common knowledge that it is near impossible to rep gold and I'm just late/not informed?

Is it that my watches are dirty/not shined with a certain special spray? I feel like it is very obvious from 5 feet away that my reps are fake because they do not shine/glisten like genuine watches do.

Is this true or is this in my head?

1...Yepp...it's still not possible to rep Gold...Gold is Gold...the old alchemists weren't able to rep it and the modern chemists aren't either. Only physicians are with a proton gun (or so...) but that Gold is way more expensive than real Gold.

2...both...the gens that shine/glisten are most likely better machined/polished. Reps are way cheaper as you know and the factories usually don't spend much on that. Once built they're sometimes not even cleaned not to speak from a proper finish.
The only two factories I know that actually deliver nice finished and cleaned watches (movement as well as the rest of the watch) are Noob and ARF. And those shine as their gen counterpart (at least my Noob Daytona and ARF DSSD).

But...most people tend say that a gen is always shinier than a rep no matter what...I think that's only because their mind isn't willing to accept that gen companies only "cook with water" too (as we Germans say) but still are able to sell their watches at ridiculous prices :D

...sent with wooden drums via Tupperware.

• Like 1

I use a paste I mix from liquid hand soap and baking soda to clean and shine gold plated reps. Use a soft tooth brush with warm water and clean the watch good top and bottom. I think you will be pleased with the results. Good luck.

I have a genuine goldwatch and some goldreps and regular soap doesnt work very good with them and actually makes them a bit dull. Cleaning gold is very different to cleaning steel.

I got a ultrasonic cleaner now and some jewlery cloth (which is basically a super fine polishing compound) and achieve much better results with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"Cleaning gold is very different to cleaning steel."

I use a double sided 'Fabulustre' cloth to remove tarnish and polish the surface if needed.  It has a very mild polishing compound applied to the (red) cloth and the other side is a soft (light yellow) polishing cloth.  When using polishing compound on a soft cloth (I use mostly Wenol Ultra Soft), it is a good idea to apply the compound to the polishing cloth and rub it in the cloth and not apply it directly to the watch.  When you apply the paste directly to the object it can sling into spaces between bezels etc.  I do not use powered buffers on solid gold, especially 18k, hand polish only.  Besides removing too much material, powered polishing wheels can catch an object and send it into orbit.

A few of my friends are in the gold and diamond buying/trading/selling business and they can usually spot solid gold watches right off.  I can tell sometimes but do not have an exact explanation why but it may be because solid gold has a warm, subdued appearance and plating is usually shiny and harsh. 

• Thanks 1