When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My vintage sea dweller

Dan71

Hello guy

I show you my last build spec:

-JKF complete watch. by myself I mod the CG, is the first attempt so it’s not perfect, maybe are too thin..I create little bevel on the lug the jkf was too sharp)

-eta 2879 low beat (remove the data quick set, so now is like the 1570)

-Viet dial (the dial fit perfectly without any mod to the rehaut)

-grey data disc

-clark plexi

-retain washer cousinsuk

-wso 580 endlink

-raffle hand deep yellow

-phong blue tudor insert faded(I’m going to change it with a chocolate insert if i will be able to faded the black Slay insert over a oven)

-2mm spring bar (the hole of the jkf was already for 2mm)

-athaya crown and tube

825d168f15addbcc801b534156d49492.jpg&key=2e3b465566cff5f9c90cb849ab1a49052a3cc07a980a7fe38c5527feefa1f79e

2a3faa1e7b487a511d1bad5e32dd5bea.jpg&key=47b18385c4672e5d48080bde36a9ae770270033c55b38cffd230281f9c72e751

• Like 3

Respect for your build,....I love the dial but in combo with the blue insert to me it is less attractive

Yes you are right , but the black insert is worst ..

I try to make insert brown I have try several (cousinsuk, woresaleoutlet , Cartel) on the oven but they turn reddish not chocolate ..the next week when will arrive the Slay insert kiss four I try again over the oven..but I have not hope in the result

• Like 1

Hello guy
I show you my last build spec:
-JKF complete watch. by myself I mod the CG, is the first attempt so it’s not perfect, maybe are too thin..I create little bevel on the lug the jkf was too sharp)
-eta 2879 low beat (remove the data quick set, so now is like the 1570)
-Viet dial (the dial fit perfectly without any mod to the rehaut)
-grey data disc
-clark plexi
-retain washer cousinsuk
-wso 580 endlink
-raffle hand deep yellow
-phong blue tudor insert faded(I’m going to change it with a chocolate insert if i will be able to faded the black Slay insert over a oven)
-2mm spring bar (the hole of the jkf was already for 2mm)
-athaya crown and tube
825d168f15addbcc801b534156d49492.jpg&key=2e3b465566cff5f9c90cb849ab1a49052a3cc07a980a7fe38c5527feefa1f79e

2a3faa1e7b487a511d1bad5e32dd5bea.jpg&key=47b18385c4672e5d48080bde36a9ae770270033c55b38cffd230281f9c72e751

Beautiful! That lead off pic is stunning! I actually like the contrast with the blue. Reminds me of my favorite variation of the 1675 with Blueberry insert!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In Italy we have an adage that says :

“blu e marrone perfetto cafone”

That we can translate

“blue & brown perfect oafish”

Haha

That mean that the blue and brown don’t match each other ..

But despite this adage I saw many example of this match color in fashion outfit..

"remove the data quick set, so now is like the 1570"

You can use a two position (no date) set bridge and still have quick set but have only two crown positions if you ever want to go that route.  You will have to find the date set position by feel but it will still be there.

The 2879 base no date movement is an ETA 2850/2851 (manual wind) and 2870/2871 (automatic)...probably the same setting parts. 

On an ETA 2824/36 you can use the part made for an ETA 2801.   

I have tried to file the date set position 'bumps' off a 2824/36 set bridge but it did not come out very good because there is not much room to work on the bumps.

@Automatico if I understand (my English sometime is not so good)
You want suggest me the part or entire movement for have no data quick set like the 1570/75..

I have bought the eta 2879 because I have read that have the same hight of the 2813 (that was inside the jkf )

Than I have asked to my watchsmith to remove the quick data set, he found a solution: by file the tooth on a part of the movement (I don’t remember the name of this part that have two tooth) The first tooth is the position for the quick data set the second tooth is the position for set the hands..
So now when I pull out crown, The stem go directly to the second tooth for set the hands..

I do not know how to say it, but....... . I like it!!!

somehow that touch of blue just highlights it? That is just my opinion and I may be in the minority here. If it were a little more faded being more Cielo celeste, then it is very attractive!!

On two occasions I have seen two vintage submariners where one had a tropical dial which had  turned blue and it was awesome!!

another time I saw one  with a faded insert almost bright celeste and it was real eye candy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Dan71 said:

Below another my project 1680 with phong insert..

da487d015f701d840ed4e06ad86f3eee.jpg&key=bb33a12d18fbed1f6f6914a7c12aaea6890687e42f79e1c9f9cc09861f656fae

e13895223bc08c8f47c5cf23d7e30cc5.jpg

Now that is "un grand opera d'arte"!  That combines both features which I saw in two separate genuine submariner s that sold  for phenomenal prices!  Imagine finding a genuine like this??!!  On the other hand who cares about the genuine when something like this is close to unique and perhaps has had more work and attention than the genuine for one tenth of the price.  It is the same tiramisu made from the same ingredients but by different chefs from the same cooking school!  Thank you for sharing this photo!  Enjoy in buona salute!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Dan71 said:

Below another my project 1680 with phong insert..

da487d015f701d840ed4e06ad86f3eee.jpg&key=bb33a12d18fbed1f6f6914a7c12aaea6890687e42f79e1c9f9cc09861f656fae

e13895223bc08c8f47c5cf23d7e30cc5.jpg

Now that is poetry, art and science all in the one package!!

I never knew why rolex never issued a blue dial and insert for their submariner lines apart from the two tones and the yellow gold version!  A white gold version in blue also was never released until the ceramic model which looks bulky & unattractive to me.  A 16619 model would have been a treat especially when gold prices were a lot more affordable & reasonable.  My first replica was a blue dial stainless steel with the blue anodised bezel.  It got far more attention and comments than my genuine rolex ever did!  Enjoy to good health!

• Like 1

There has been a lot of discussion relating to the subject of a blue dial submariner in stainless steel on various  forums in the last 20 years. As  it turns out the  current available evidence  trends to converge to "officially NO". In the days when the market was a little more open where companies such as Cartier, Serpico and  Laino, the British defence force ( with their Milsub), Comex etc  were licensed by Rolex to create and have variations of the mainstream models, to suit their purpose, it is highly likely that some limited number of blue dialed versions were created for the Asian market as discussed in 

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost.php?p=7453782&postcount=10

there is also a more modern company  Branford?  (If I stand to be corrected) that is making variations of the current model but possibly as customised versions!  

Edited by Timelord
Grammatic error
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Dan71 said:

I found this 1680 cartier pic , but I can’t found the article that explain if it was legit or not.

3176dadff7cece08d4b45d15cf0708a1.jpg&key=e4677921263975e6ca764ec47263e498effa57d47028f65678d11bd9b07f1f26

Now that is  also nice!  Somehow in my opinion, when rolex issued the 50th anniversary  green bezel insert edition, it didn't really appeal to me!  Perhaps something about the green and black combination blending like mixing wine and  beer in one glass! Whereas  something like this  seems to push all the right musical notes to sing a number one hit on the charts!  I am of the belief that it is legit as a licensed product  from Rolex to Cartier to identify it as a rolex model exclusive to the cartier line!

as for;

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost.php?p=7453782&postcount=10

I am inclined to believe the same analogy as with the cartier model,  agreeable  with Timelord.  Notice that the dial is in gold gilt print as seen in the yellow gold & 2 tone versions and not in white as would have been expected  for a purely designed  one for a stainless steel blue dial version. So i am also inclined with the "NO" that a pure blue stainless steel model was never truly issued by Geneve themselves

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jasonbaylee said:

The 369 blue gilt dial is sexy in www.rolexforums.com/showpost.php?p=7453782&postcount=10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is actually a nipple dial when you look into it closely.  I am not sure if we are going beyond the scope of what is to be discussed in the replica forums as these are topics that are more likely to be discussed in the genuine forums , but I always welcome any information that can educate us in both fields.

When I first saw that image around 1993, I sighed a breathe of relief, but something just did not mesh!

If you look closely, it appears to be assembled from two genuine  watches where the dial and hands could have come from a yellow gold 1680/8 and the bezel from a Tudor snowflake   In those days parts and spares were available like new tyres for a car.  .Even today, you could probably do it where you would be short of a Tudor insert I have seen genuine original pre owned nipple dials advertised on ebay for high premiums but when added to an ordinary stainless steel submariner to create something more unique, you are going to easily double your returns.  Yes genuine! But is it exclusive for a particular line, I am not entirely convinced!

Edited by Timelord
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...