When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to improve Helenarou 5513 dial lume color

RickFlorida

Hello everyone.  It's been a long time and now that I'm finally going to finish my project the way I really always wanted it....I wanted to give back and offer some information on how I fixed the green/modern color lume of the Helenarou 5513 dial.   I received so much help and support here so it's time I help someone else.

The Helenarou 5513 dial is a great dial but it comes with greenish, modern lume color.  Someone on another thread said water color marker might be a good way to add vintage color to lume.   I gave it a shot and purchased Artist's Loft branded water color markers.  The color is "Golden Ochre" and you need a "Colorless Blender" which helps you lighten the color if it goes too dark.  You simply start with the golden ochre, and if it's too dark, use the colorless blender.  When you are happy and all of the indicators look good, you use a light coating of matte lacquer spray.  Best yet, the lume still glows brightly which I guess it shouldn't if it's supposed to be very old lume but who cares.

Artist Loft water color markers are found in Michael's Art stores in the U.S.  The yellow color don't work, only the golden ochre works correctly for this.  If you want less brown and more yellow, just use the colorless blender more and it will look more yellow.

IMG_0853.JPEG

Edited by RickFlorida
  • Like 2