When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first franken 1675 build

projectologist

Hats off to Yodog for this wonderful build...

- Vietnam 1675 case

- Gen 25-116 Plexi
- Yodog's custom deep scalloped bezel assembly (gen insert snapped right in, no need for shaving or glue)
- Gen FF blue-back Pepsi insert
- Vietnam MK5 variant Matte Dial
- Startime hour, minute hands, RT seconds and large GMT hand
- Swiss 2636 w/Asian GMT module movement
- Cartel sub DWO with flat 3 and open 6 and 9
- Helenarou movement spacer
- Gen Rolex 503 GMT crown
- Gen Rolex Jubilee Bracelet, 21 links, Gen Rolex springbars

1675ddd.thumb.jpg.c4a95100f86a5b78a1c4eed48ea37124.jpg

IMG_3381.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

IMG_3378.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

IMG_3387.jpg

1675cc.jpg

Edited by projectologist
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, alligoat said:

very nice! A little yellow on the hands would help and then wear that bezel to break it in. 

As you can see in the last pic, the hands patina is closer to the plots patina compared to the first pic.  Because the lume in the hands has a smooth semi-gloss finish, they tend to be a little reflective , so can look lighter depending on the angle of bright light on the surface.  This doesn't happen with the plots as that lume is a flat textured finish.

As for the bezel I agree, it's still new and was never polished.  I may remove it at some point and finish it.  At the moment I'm focused on a 1675 PCG build, so refinement of the OP watch is on hold.

With these Vietnam cases that accept the gen crown, the level of 1675 builds have stepped up a fair few notches.

This is an excellent build...well done!

Did you have any work done to the case, bevels cut etc?

I just might have to swap out my cartel case build for one of these cases!

41 minutes ago, ceejay said:

With these Vietnam cases that accept the gen crown, the level of 1675 builds have stepped up a fair few notches.

This is an excellent build...well done!

Did you have any work done to the case, bevels cut etc?

I just might have to swap out my cartel case build for one of these cases!

Here's a great thread explaining what the differences are between the Cartel vs Vietnam 1675 case sets...

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/vintage-watches/312368-cartel-1675-cases-vs-vietnam-gen-spec-cases-a-photo-comparison

• Like 2

Swapped out the Pepsi insert for the black FF service insert (with the more correct font for this mk 5 dial build).  The Pepsi insert will go into the Type C gilt dial/PCG build and is more correct for that watch.
1675bbb.jpg&key=bc772a997d3ce189ea7f47a19169d50c73e4526df2ee3be9c3c8dacfcd0885d4

Now that looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the past i bought a cartel (bp maybe) watch and gen crown,insert and gen plexi fits perfect but the problem are the wrong crownguards. they are to short and i sold the watch . But your gmt master with vietnam case and your dial is the nicest gmt master rep i ever see!!
Gratulation for this beautiful vintage piece.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Best thing is to be here regularly looking for new posts since your last visit. A good build takes a lot of effort to get right so the good ones don’t come up for sale very often. But if you keep checking you’ll eventually be in the right place at the right time.

Another option is to sign up for VIP so you can post a WTB topic.

Good luck, a 1675 done right is a thing of beauty.

• Like 1

Best thing is to be here regularly looking for new posts since your last visit. A good build takes a lot of effort to get right so the good ones don’t come up for sale very often. But if you keep checking you’ll eventually be in the right place at the right time.

Another option is to sign up for VIP so you can post a WTB topic.

Good luck, a 1675 done right is a thing of beauty.

Thank you very much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Did someone convert the 2846 to a GMT for you, or did you buy it that way?"

"Yodog converted it for me"

I converted a couple swiss 2836 to GMT using the 24H parts from an eBay etaclone GMT movement and they have worked fine...this was the older type with non adjustable 24H hand.  I read that some of the etaclones with adjustable 24H hands might not be too hot.  The 1675/1655 needs the non adjustable 24H hand anyway. 

Seems to me the 'jump out at you' flaws with most cartel 1675 are the crown guards being too short and the space between them being too wide.  Maybe they used submariner cases.

All the swiss ETA 2836 GMT conversions I have seen in replicas used Asian 24H conversions. 

ETA 2824 movements do not have day of the week works to run the 24H conversion parts and the hour wheel, CP, SS pinion are too short for GMT conversions. 

A Swiss ETA 2893-2 GMT movement would be good in modern watch projects but they usually go for $300 to $400.  If you had a first class modern GMT/Ex II case/dial/bracelet it might be worth it.

I have a few sapphire Exp II and GMT II replicas from 15 years ago that use swiss ETA 2836 with Asian conversions and they have been trouble free.  Wrong hand stack but trouble free...a pretty good tradeoff imho.

Also have a few sapphire Exp II and GMT with DG 3804B and adjustable 24 hour hand (wrong HS) and they have been trouble free too but I needed to c/o a couple when new to get them in good running condition.  The 3804B is a good choice for a budget build and the 21600 beat rate looks good on vintage projects.

• DG 3804B
  • Ligne size:                    11 ½ L
  • Diameter:                     26mm
  • Plate Height:                5.97mm
  • Overall Height:            7.97mm
  • Hand Hole Sizes:         150/90/17/200
  • Stem:                            401/DG 3804-B
  • Tap Size:                      10
  • Jewels:                          22

ETA 2893-2

Manufacturer: ETA Switzerland
Size (Ligne): 11-1/2 Round
Hands: 150/90/25/180
Jewels: 21

"Good luck, a 1675 done right is a thing of beauty."

+1

Hi Pezzie,  I just set your account to VIP.  The forum software usually handles that automatically but I get the sense you're pretty keen for a 1675.  You're set to post a WTB ad now.  Good luck!