When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A thought.........................

Mike on a bike

Great clip, MOAB.

I had a bunch of friends in the early 80s, they had a group (I'll mercifully withhold their name) and they were getting hot, and they were touring with Van Halen and opening for them.  They were playing a side gig one night out on the road and doing pretty good, and this group of guys sitting at a table seemed to really be enjoying the show.  So at intermission they bought beers for the band and the band played on.  

This went on for a couple more sets, so the guys in the group thought they'd go out and mingle with the audience, and sat with the guys buying beers.  They talked music for awhile and went to play another set.

Next break, they came back out to sit with the guys in the audience some more, and were really laying it on thick... "yeah we're touring opening for VH, things are looking good, we'll probably score a recording contract out of this... blah blah blah."

The guys buying beers seemed to understand the whole scene with managers and contracts and recording, so my buddies asked them "you guys seem to know a lot about our industry.  Do you do music too?"  and of course the guys in the audience said "yeah... we've had some experience"

So my friends stepped right in it.  "What's your group?"

"Chicago"

They were bragging all night to Peter Cetera, Terry Kath and the Chicago band.      :bangin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/17/2019 at 3:59 AM, Nanuq said:

Great clip, MOAB.

I had a bunch of friends in the early 80s, they had a group (I'll mercifully withhold their name) and they were getting hot, and they were touring with Van Halen and opening for them.  They were playing a side gig one night out on the road and doing pretty good, and this group of guys sitting at a table seemed to really be enjoying the show.  So at intermission they bought beers for the band and the band played on.  

This went on for a couple more sets, so the guys in the group thought they'd go out and mingle with the audience, and sat with the guys buying beers.  They talked music for awhile and went to play another set.

Next break, they came back out to sit with the guys in the audience some more, and were really laying it on thick... "yeah we're touring opening for VH, things are looking good, we'll probably score a recording contract out of this... blah blah blah."

The guys buying beers seemed to understand the whole scene with managers and contracts and recording, so my buddies asked them "you guys seem to know a lot about our industry.  Do you do music too?"  and of course the guys in the audience said "yeah... we've had some experience"

So my friends stepped right in it.  "What's your group?"

"Chicago"

They were bragging all night to Peter Cetera, Terry Kath and the Chicago band.      :bangin:

Cool story bro.. hahah I could not resist that.

I actually did like the story thou. 

My Mother drove me nuts in the 70's as I was growing up, I am 47 now. She used to play Chicago and Blood, Sweat and Tears all the time. I did not understand why they had a horn section in a "Rock Band.' 

Fast Forward to last Summer. Chicago was touring so I had to bring my 15yr old Daughter with me to see the act. She is an old soul and loves the music. Needless to say, I shed a tear for my long gone Mom, hugged my Daughter and Wife, and enjoyed every note. Great show and incredible band. 

Thanks for the memories MOAB. Got me a bit moist around my Eye holes for some reason.

• Like 3

New Jersey badass meets country bumpkin?  Talk about a fist in a velvet glove, MoaB you're the best!

This is the stuff that speaks to my soul.  Luckily my daughter inherited the Hendrix gene and we try to outdo each other with "the best ever version" of all his songs.  I've found the best Red House and she's found the best Wind Cries Mary.  So far....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...