When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who makes the best Submariner Rep for the price?

Justasgood

"On a related topic, would you get the ETA or the Clone movement?"

I like swiss ETA because they are reliable, relatively cheap, and parts are available. 

Etaclones...not a fan. 

The 'good' 3135 look-alike is Ok from what I have read. 

The other 3135 clone...not so good.

Afaik the 'good' 3135 clone is easy to spot because the reversers are all red like genuine and the 'bad clone' reversers have red tops and silver colored teeth.

"Hah, none of my vintage Rolex are less than 37 years old!"

My oldest rlx is a 1956 model and the newest has a cal 3130, probably about 10 years old.  Never have worn either one, never will...the '56 because it has a 'npfu' 1065 mvt and the AK because I am allergic to rlx with sapphire crystals.  I wear an Accutron II most of the time anyway.

"I am old and  reps are getting too expensive for my tastes."

You and me both.  :wheelchair:

Not sure why there would be a suggention to buy the VRF subc, and not the 904L ARF w/yuki or "sh3135v2" from Puretime. Mine is pretty close to perfect. I went ahead and dropped a gen 3135 (w/blue parachrome HS, and free float balance wheel) and Dial.  Local AD did full inspection 20190330_091615.thumb.jpg.78d3790b7610dc911b942f12e0e213ba.jpg and never even suggested or hinted of suspicion that there wasor may be a problem? Total investment $2650. Throw in a additional $140 for box and custom papers and you're set. Just maintain your scruples and dont succumb to the urge to see what you can get on eBay - at some point you would get caught, especially if it became a habit after making 5K a pop profit 😉

Edited by chrstphr
  • Like 2

Not sure why there would be a suggention to buy the VRF subc, and not the 904L ARF w/yuki or "sh3135v2" from Puretime. Mine is pretty close to perfect. I went ahead and dropped a gen 3135 (w/blue parachrome HS, and free float balance wheel) and Dial.  Local AD did full inspection 20190330_091615.thumb.jpg.78d3790b7610dc911b942f12e0e213ba.jpg and never even suggested or hinted of suspicion that there wasor may be a problem? Total investment $2650. Throw in a additional $140 for box and custom papers and you're set. Just maintain your scruples and dont succumb to the urge to see what you can get on eBay - at some point you would get caught, especially if it became a habit after making 5K a pop profit
Amazingly awesome!! What crystal does yours have? The stock crystal or did you install a gen or Prof? Do you have gen hands?

So literally the only mods you have done are swap the movement and dial?? How difficult was it to find the movement and dial?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Movement and dial I found on eBay. Hands and crystal are stock. Also replaced with gen seals to waterproof to 100m. That's really it. I shower, surf, etc. With it on. I'm in the process of building a Franken GMT BLNR  too (same general process though a little costlier). GMT will be about 5K total.

• Like 1

Do your stock hands match the dial for lume color? That's one thing that would drive me nuts if they were off. I wonder how much a set of gen hands would be?

The ARF hands look so good. Best rep hands in the ceramic reps, nice curve like Gen. On my 2824 the hour hand clearance off the dial is good too, some of the non 3135 reps have flat hands too close to the dial I think.

The ARF Dial has nice 12 /6 / 9 hour markers too not flat or too pointy

I do find the ARF Lume is like brilliant white to look at in natural day light when Gen is more off white. But the insert and pearl shape is really nice

Here’s mine with a prof xtal and a Gen DW modded as overlay

e5f585a95f90197433489e858eb2595e.jpg&key=6d63b72dcee36a72141c2347efe494b1c049083420299f96a7ec0066767d0f2a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 3/30/2019 at 12:00 PM, Mendota Explorer said:

Amazingly awesome!! What crystal does yours have? The stock crystal or did you install a gen or Prof? Do you have gen hands?

So literally the only mods you have done are swap the movement and dial?? How difficult was it to find the movement and dial?

Yeah, the hands were perfect IMHO (lume is slower to charge, but same color), the only thing I'm considering at this point is dropping a gen movement +  gen crown and casetube, and of course a water resistance test/tuning. I've hear you can get this case (with gen seals) to 300M.

OK, so if I am reading correctly, here's the recipe for success:

1) Buy the 904L ARF from Puretime with the V2 SH3135 movement.  Remove the movement and use in another project.

2) Find a gen 3135 - you get the added bonus of the gen datewheel, so 2 mods in one.

3) Gen dial and if you really want to go nuts, gen hands but these are not needed.

4) Gen crown & tube.

5) Prof black hole crystal. Is this the 2xAR version or just the Black Hole crystal?

6) Gen seals.

7) Lastly, send the insert to one of the modders for gen platinum puff coating!😎

Throw it on a gen Rubber B and you have an absolutely killer genken, or send the bracelet to one of the modders in the EU who does gen process bracelet refinishing.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2019 at 12:48 PM, chrstphr said:

Not sure why there would be a suggention to buy the VRF subc, and not the 904L ARF w/yuki or "sh3135v2" from Puretime. Mine is pretty close to perfect. I went ahead and dropped a gen 3135 (w/blue parachrome HS, and free float balance wheel) and Dial.  Local AD did full inspection 20190330_091615.thumb.jpg.78d3790b7610dc911b942f12e0e213ba.jpg and never even suggested or hinted of suspicion that there wasor may be a problem? Total investment $2650. Throw in a additional $140 for box and custom papers and you're set. Just maintain your scruples and dont succumb to the urge to see what you can get on eBay - at some point you would get caught, especially if it became a habit after making 5K a pop profit 😉

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just to confirm - you saved the ARF hands and are using them with your gen dial.  I think I would go gen hands just to keep everything consistent.  Are you using the ARF bracelet, too?

Sounds like Angus from Puretime will sell the ARF case set for less than $200.  You can buy the bracelet separately, too, otherwise I think a gen Rubber B would be pretty cool with this, and just pick up a clasp.  In fact, I have a spare GMTIIc clasp and bracelet still wrapped in plastic, unworn from a TD warranty replacement. I might just use that clasp for it since I like the EZ Link adjustment better than the Glidelock.  That's if I go ahead and take on this project!  😎

• 4 weeks later...

I say Amen to JoeyB.  I am 73 years old and drive two late-model Volvos.  My favorite rep is a watch that has never been repped.  It is a 16013 with everything gen, even the bracelet (except for two links and the clasp) except the movement, hands and dwo.  What's to call out.  Even my Sub is a TC V7 but has lug holes, a gen dial and hands with just a hint of patina.  I put a flat 4 bezel insert on it  and voila, a sub that has never been repped.  When I say "never been repped" I mean, by a rep manufacturer.  

• 1 month later...