When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Loose movement decorated plate JHF /OMF Speedmaster

MayDay

I recently purchased what the dealer described as a JH/OM Factory Omega SpeedMaster Chronograph with an Asia 7750 Valjoux Automatic Movement 28800bph with Decorated Rotor & Bridges/Plates like genuine Omega Calibre 9300.

Great looking watch.  But, after several weeks of wear, I found last night that the watch had stopped while I was wearing it.  I took it off and immediately heard a noise from the rotor I had not heard before.  Looking through the display caseback I could see the rotor looked like it was getting stuck on the decorated plate that sits overtop the movement.  I could also see the balance wheel was stuck with what looked to be a small screw under it.

Thankfully I have a little bit of watch repair knowledge.  So, I removed the case back.  Sure enough the decorated plate just under the rotor was completely loose.  The rotor itself was the only thing holding it on.  I removed the rotor and then the plate and found both of the dislodged plate screws underneath.  One of which was stuck under the balance wheel.  Luckily I was able to shake it loose.  

I put the plate back on and secured the screws and then reinstalled the rotor.  I’m happy to report everything works as good as new.  But clearly I’d gotten a Friday afternoon constructed watch.  See pics below for the screws you’ll want to make sure are secure so this doesn’t happen to you.

82F931C7-FD09-4D51-989B-7FC47E10D4A0.png

452D7FAB-6BD2-432E-9DFE-C070284BBBC3.png

Edited by MayDay
Misspells
  • Like 1

Could you review the watch, I'm Interested in the new  JHF/OMF  Speedmasters or Dark side of the moon speedys. I was out of the rep game for years, back then the speedy reps used to be terrible. How are they today, compared to the quality of a Noob Submariner v7/8.

Edited by fischyyy

I’ve got the 57. Very good appearance wise.  I don’t think I’ll buy another of these Omega reps with the decorated movements though.  It’s pretty cheesy how they design it.  It’s like a Fiero someone added a body kit to to make it look like a Ferrari.  When you open the hood you see what’s really going on.  So, at least with the Sub reps with the clone movements, they’ve actually gone and built a movement and not put faux plates on it.