When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New To The Forums.... Lookin For Advice

golf36

Hey im new here, but I was interested in spending around $1000 building a perfect rolex. Although I know nothing about the art of horology whatsoever, im not sure where I should start. Can anyone suggest any dealers to start with, or any places or modders that will do stuff for you. Once again, I have no experience in horology so I'm not sure what im gonna be getting into, all im interested in is getting a perfect rolex (still deciding between submariner, sea-dweller, daytona, or yachtmaster), and obviously adding on authentic parts (if i can find them on ebay that is.... but once again, i wouldnt be sure how to put them in)

Any comments would be appreciated thanks.

*tip* I spent almost 3 full days reading every thread of interest from the past year+ and making extensive use of the search function before I made my first post.

You're at a point where you don't even know enough to ask the right questions. The short answer is that you probably cannot build a "perfect" rep for $1000, especially if you're expecting to pay for the labor for someone else to do all the work.

Save another $200-500 and buy a used Rolex for $1200-1500. Or spend $200 on a modern rep, some elbow grease and get something you'll likely be happy wearing. Or be prepared to spend $2000 on gen parts and labor.

Finally, if you want a "perfect" Rolex... drive down to your nearest Authorized dealer and write them a check for $5000 or so.

In fact that was a very good answer by cortopar, it shows what a little reading will do for you :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ken

I concur. I didn't come here initially looking for a Submariner as lots of newbies do, but I still spent about a week searching a reading up before beginning to post.

Research is your friend. If you really want a good Sub and you're willing to spend a grand US for it, you might as well just wait and save a bit more to pick up a used genuine, they can be had for $1500-$2500 which is actually around what my gen Tags have cost me.

If you want a really good rep but not perfect they are out there, just spend some time reading.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.