When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SeaGull 2130 (2824 clone) Are there different grades?

RickFlorida

Hello everyone,

I was thinking of buying a SeaGull 2130 for a build which is a 2824-2 clone.   Does anyone know if there are two different grades or versions?  The reason I ask is because on Ebay, I noticed that out of all of the many listings for them, they are all either 90 dollars or they are 61 dollars.    Why the 30 dollar difference on so many listings?  Are there 2 different grades of the SeaGull 2130 or do you guys think the 61 dollar listings might be fake SeaGull and actually a cheaper copy?

Thanks for any input.

Edited by RickFlorida

• 2 weeks later...
On 10 April 2019 at 10:24 PM, RickFlorida said:

Does anyone know if there are two different grades or versions?  The reason I ask is because on Ebay, I noticed that out of all of the many listings for them, they are all either 90 dollars or they are 61 dollars.    Why the 30 dollar difference on so many listings?  Are there 2 different grades of the SeaGull 2130 or do you guys think the 61 dollar listings might be fake SeaGull and actually a cheaper copy?

Good question!

i can only share with you my experiences  I had with the 2836-2 which is  basically the  one which has the day wheel in addition to  the date wheel with some small other differences. 

Let me say that I have purchased from three different sellers where  they ranged  between 60 and 100 dollars US.  I did not find any difference in terms of quality .  In fact, one seller that sold between the 2 different high and low price ranges happened to be the same seller (with different identities) as I received the same quality movement from the same name and address but at different prices!

In my opinion, all I can say is that if you are able to service your own movement, then buy a pre owned  one for circa US60 and you should  be ok.  With the clones I had  all sorts of problems especially with the keyless works  not working well and upon setting the yoke, then positioning the parts, they just kept falling out of place where I even had the cover plate and yoke snapping when trying to set them into place.  Upon replacing them from a genuine, they did not mesh and there was so much stretch.  On the 100 dollar movement, when I removed the screw for the  cover plate spring , the head of the screw broke in half.  On my cheaper clone, the automatic assembly seemed to be welded  onto the main part of the watch as the screws just would not unscrew!!  I wanted to service it myself but instead I stripped the heads of the the screws and believe me I have pulled apart well over a dozen of them without problems.

The other clone, just stopped every 3 hours and  when  I  messaged the seller about it, his reply was that I should oil the movement.  In other words, it needed a service which was not mentioned in his description!  In the end,  it use have costed me the same as getting a genuine new one without tags.. Two of the three were almost dry without lubrication. This is just my opinion according to my experiences.  As the Americans say, "Strike 3 and your out"!!.  Hope this helps you have a better experience with your clones!

Edited by Timelord