When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

if money was no option, would you buy a genuine Milsub

Timelord

I know this subject has been raised countless times; both on this forum, the VRF forum and other areas of discussion!!

I recently got into a discussion when I was asked by my bank manager if my milsub replica was real or not and obviously with the type of car I drive and house I live in, anyone that knows more about these rare pieces would know it isn't, regardless if it was real or not ( as one could have inherited it from the original owner for example)

My reply was  that I had better things to do with my money.  He went on to say that if he won the lottery it would be the first item he would buy!!!  But if money was not an option and you had the possibility to buy one,  would you at the 5 digit premiums they ask on today's market?

Silly question - maybe?  but what are your thoughts!!  Just curious!! 

I guess for me, if money was truly no question, then I wouldn't do it, because it wouldn't mean anything.  It's like taking your next breath, you have an unlimited supply of air to draw from, so the next breath isn't worth anything.  But if you're 300' down and your hose got cut, your next breath is incredibly valuable.

My pieces all mean something because they represent someone or something bigger than life.  They evoke good times past, they're not just watches.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Nanuq said:

My pieces all mean something because they represent someone or something bigger than life.  They evoke good times past, they're not just watches.

The same can be said of most items if not all items that once belonged to someone important!  Houses belonging to important people usually have blue plaques outside the-front door in the UK, the Parker pen Einstein wrote the Theory of relativity or even a handkerchief used in the top pocket of a suit of a famous person etc all tell some story  or more accurately ; History.  This is where I see an astronomical difference between having material items and relics ( which are also material items).  I do not always agree with those that always bash at materialistic people, as in this case there is a difference!

i guess the OP wqs trying to ask is; where does one draw a line between what is a sane and appropriate premium to pay for such items and if the money justifies the satisfaction it could bring without overriding  the spending on more practical priorities!  I love the mil sub purely because it is basic and less busy than the mainstream one of its vintage, as the bezel and sword hands truly do it for me.  If I could have ordered a bespoke one from Rolex themselves, it would be exactly that configuration!

8 hours ago, jackflash said:

If money was no object, then no, I wouldn’t buy one. I would be tempted to build a pretty good rep though. Until then this will have to do.

d752a1a7a9248a2cd6a388b78bbfb11e.jpg&key=f5e3835a8ed6f5aa291f61dafb2db7f4236b4af5ecdd7fd65ca5ea7f376af350

82f0b25c2ccae1a7d6d7edcfbce7209e.jpg

That is it for me  and I would not ask for any better!  Enjoy to good health!!  BTW can you build me one? (Yeah in my dreams!  Ha!)

Edited by horologist
  • Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 5:12 PM, horologist said:

i guess the OP wqs trying to ask is; where does one draw a line between what is a sane and appropriate premium to pay for such items and if the money justifies the satisfaction it could bring without overriding  the spending on more practical priorities!

Yes, that is exactly what I meant!!!!.  Yet, I would  still be hesitant of departing with the 4-5 digit asking prices that not just milsubs demand but most vintage rolex models in general.  I believe Automatico (correct me if I am wrong!  ) hit the nail right on the head regarding this topic many moons ago!!!

My main concern is; with all the state of the art evolving technology and with how cloning is becoming a closely perfected science, so too is cloning of most technological pieces!!!.  I wonder how much of these collectible items which come with high prices are truly what they claim to be and how much of it's content is truly original ( if any) and how much is not? 

Just yesterday, I was lurking on the http://www.vintagerolexforum.com sales section and was quite shocked with how an honest seller was skinned on a White gold day date which sent me in a tail spin!!!!!.  check this out ;

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vintagerolexforum/fs-rolex-1803-white-gold-with-long-story-still-ava-t251327.html?sid=faa7f728084cd687de8f02865933f22a

In the days when I owned genuine rolex models, I had a few of these 1803 Day dates myself and makes me wonder if any of mine were in this category.  Only because I regret selling all of mine to make way for health expenses I would still like to own just one genuine one for old times sake, if the opportunity was feasible !! I would never have been able to tell what was the giveaway in the above white gold model referenced in the sales section.  Yet with all the time I have been here and learnt a lot from you guys ( most grateful to say the least !!!)  I would still be burnt if I went along with that transaction unless the seller had not been transparent in his declaration.  Until wiser, I stick to replicas regardless of how much the purists see me as a fake!!

Edited by Timelord

Money can improve your life and buy you lots of 'nice' things, and having been very fortunate over the years to have owned some lovely 4 and 5 digit Rolex's, i would now not own one. Why? When i owned them back in the 80's and 90's they were tough practical watches that you could buy for 500 quid, based on inflation that should mean that you can buy a Submariner today for £1127.06. As we know its more like £9,000.00, worth the marketing budget? 

I wonder if i had an £85k watch on my wrist would i be constantly worrying about loosing a bezel or another unobtainable part?  Funnily enough my mate has recently sold his 1978 1675 GMT because he isn't rich, and if anything went wrong with it then he probably wouldn't be able to cover the extortionate Rolex cost of the repairs. 

So i now sport a nice Rare Seiko SKX 033, which is in my eyes, is a modern day version of my old 5513 or 16610.  An everyday modestly priced Divers watch that i can wear everyday.

I think often then not its the chase of the item that creates the mental excitement rather than the actual ownership. 

I worn the gen for a few days and I will definitely buy it. Given the hype with Paul Newman Daytonas or four digits Daytonas,these pieces are simply "limited" compared to say normal Paul Newman Daytonas. A sub is one of the first watch I like (along with a Zenith white dual 16520 Daytona) and a 5517 would definitely by one of my grails. Compared to a 6538 or a PCG explorer dial 5513, to me this model trumps both of them. The hands and bezel are so unique and when worn it really "pops" on your line of sign comparing to a normal 4 digit Subs.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I have a pretty high-spec rep and I've owned several gen bezel inserts.

Nothing special about it. My 5512 PCG Tulip dial is so much more and in no way does the 3-4 times higher price on the 5517 justify it.

30fac667954553e39c283cbe2089e54b.jpg

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

• Like 1

If money was no object, then the opportunity to own a piece of history would be my main motivation for owning a real one over a really good rep. That goes for all of the vintage Rolex tool range, regardless of relative market values.

The milsub wouldn’t be my first choice - but with a bottomless pit of money it would definitely be one I’d want in the gen Rolex collection.

Of course I’d be so rich, I could ensure I was getting the real thing, with a water-tight provenance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest keeper

My optician once questioned me regarding a watch I was wearing. 

'beat it bud' was my immediate thought.

I realised in time he wasn't wearing his glasses.

Repreality-Enlarged.png

A Milsub? 

Watch out you don't end up buying a Super-Franken. It could be you, in 20 years time.

It could be you gag courtesy of the national lottery. 😎

1 hour ago, keeper said:

A Milsub? 

. It could be you, in 20 years time.

It could be you gag courtesy of the national lottery. 😎

Ehhhh?... What language are you used to talking in?   What is this 20 years time bull€+^&.?  Are you reading the right post?? 

Guest keeper
5 minutes ago, Timelord said:

Ehhhh?... What language are you used to talking in?   What is this 20 years time bull€+^&.?  Are you reading the right post?? 

Wow. It seems you're a bit frantic mate...Is everything okay?

He's in an induced hypomania since you made him realize he can puchase 200+ Timex watches for his funds. Thank you for spreading your altruistic wisdom. You are a true resource to RWG.cc. Godsent.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

9 hours ago, keeper said:

Yes All good!  For a moment I thought I was reading a typical reply one would normally see on the. watchuseek forum 

4 hours ago, hologramet said:

You are a true resource to RWG.cc. Godsent.

Yep, more like a miracle maker!  Thank goodness! 

Guest keeper
On 5/17/2019 at 6:24 AM, hologramet said:

He's in an induced hypomania since you made him realize he can puchase 200+ Timex watches for his funds. Thank you for spreading your altruistic wisdom. You are a true resource to RWG.cc. Godsent.

I'm not a resource. You are....