When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why Oris is Garbage. Do not Buy one.

Guest Bjd1020

Guest Bjd1020

So I decided about a decade ago to get into the exclusive watch club. Not knowing a ton it came down to The Oris TT1 Chronograph or the Tag Aquaracer.....both utilizing the 7750....however the Aquaracer uses a Elabore grade where the Oris uses a standard. I chose the Oris because of its smaller size.....and a savings of about $200........thats where the nightmare began. After about 4 years of wear the threads between the case and crown began to strip until one day the crown would no longer seat. As you may be aware this basically renders the watch useless. The failure of the crown seating happened durring a time when I was getting ready for work. When I got to work I looked at my watch and noticed a ton of moisture inside of it and the crown out......this happened going outside on a humid day. The movement became toasted. Oris was willing to do absolutely nothing and their only North American service center Boston Watch was willing to charge me a cool $2800 to fix the watch......a mere $300 more than I paid for it. I took on the task of learning to rebuild the movement myself which after a year I have become a 7750 amateur tech and can strip and rebuild it at will. Now.....I needed a new crown....which most of you know takes about 10 mins to install......the MONOPOLY set up by Oris, Boston Watch compnay offered to take my watch and "inspect" and install a new crown for $300. I cannot get this part anywhere else. Unless you want to become handcuffed to this Monopoly at some point and their willingness to gauge you to be able to wear your watch do not buy an Oris. Spend the extra few bucks and get a real watch like a Tag.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So I decided about a decade ago to get into the exclusive watch club. Not knowing a ton it came down to The Oris TT1 Chronograph or the Tag Aquaracer.....both utilizing the 7750....however the Aquaracer uses a Elabore grade where the Oris uses a standard. I chose the Oris because of its smaller size.....and a savings of about $200........thats where the nightmare began. After about 4 years of wear the threads between the case and crown began to strip until one day the crown would no longer seat. As you may be aware this basically renders the watch useless. The failure of the crown seating happened durring a time when I was getting ready for work. When I got to work I looked at my watch and noticed a ton of moisture inside of it and the crown out......this happened going outside on a humid day. The movement became toasted. Oris was willing to do absolutely nothing and their only North American service center Boston Watch was willing to charge me a cool $2800 to fix the watch......a mere $300 more than I paid for it. I took on the task of learning to rebuild the movement myself which after a year I have become a 7750 amateur tech and can strip and rebuild it at will. Now.....I needed a new crown....which most of you know takes about 10 mins to install......the MONOPOLY set up by Oris, Boston Watch compnay offered to take my watch and "inspect" and install a new crown for $300. I cannot get this part anywhere else. Unless you want to become handcuffed to this Monopoly at some point and their willingness to gauge you to be able to wear your watch do not buy an Oris. Spend the extra few bucks and get a real watch like a Tag.

Hmmmm may have changed my mind about grabbing an Oris 65 ...
sorry about your issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest Bjd1020

Hmmmm may have changed my mind about grabbing an Oris 65 ...
sorry about your issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Im a member of 3 forums......watchuseek, watch repair talk, and rwg. I posted the same issue on each one and the responses are astonishingly different. Lol. Over on watchuseek they are douche bags. They berated me several years ago when i first posted about this. Those guys over there are the "im a watchmaker, show me your papers" guys elitest. Im telling you do not buy an oris. You will regret it. Theres a reason why you probaly never heard of them til you started looking for a watch. One service center here in NA....1......and they will gauge the [censored] out of you should anyhappen to that watch.

Guest Bjd1020
If you can't find an Oris crown, you can always buy a generic here and fit it yourself.  As long as the stem threads work you should be able to find something pretty close to the original.  

http://www.ofrei.com/page_156.html

Thanks. I totally understand that but its beside the point. I paid a lot of money for that watch. I shouldnt have to use generuc parts. You really dont understand the history behind it. They know there is only one repair place in NA and so they treat you like [censored]. Come to find out that repair shop frequents the watchuseek forums and all the rest of the assholes on that forum. I was warned by others in watch repair talk. Oris is really a [censored] show.

Guest Bjd1020
I bought a brand new oris TT for my 40th birthday (8 yrs ago) I had the watch and straight away noticed the markers on the dial looked corroded, so I took the watch back to crouch, where they agreed there was a fault, so they ordered me another one in, this was just as bad if not worse than the first one, so I had a third watch, which was ok, not perfect as had a few specs of dust under dial, so I quite agree about oris watches, I would not by a gen again, I would by a rep though, as they are probably built better than the gens from what I’ve seen.
Markers also are corroded on mine. As well as the luminescent paint in the hands falling out. It amazes me if you read the responses to my post in watchuseek. Those goons went nuts over my post.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/why-oris-garbage-do-not-buy-one-4951113.html

(Oris)  "They know there is only one repair place in NA and so they treat you like [censored]."

Sounds like they follow the TAG/Heuer model.  Same type of arrogance.  The TAG/Heuer repair shop (Pro Time back then) 'lady' told me I was 'not qualified to work on their fine swiss watches'.  I told her I just needed the part (crown) so I could use their 'fine swiss watch' for boot in a push lawnmower trade at the local flea market.  The old batt slammed the phone down.  No crown for me.

Now Tag/Heuer genuine crowns etc are all over the internet for sale for less than their USA repair outfit tried to charge.  Not much demand for Oris parts so they probably will not show up for sale on the 'net.

Many watches are really not worth much out in the real world.  Oris is one brand that comes to mind.  I have owned a few nos that I bought in closeouts for a few cents on the retail dollar...their true worth imho.

Besides that, I never liked brand names that begin with the letter 'O'.  Omega has a good following but the name begins with 'O' and I just do not like them very much for that reason...plus their fragile 5xx/7xx movements, and the worst of the worst...their 10xx movements.  They are high priced Swatches now anyway, might as well call them Swat-O-Megas. 

Never owned an Oldsmobile either.  Ha!

Never cared for Seiko very much and never 'liked' rolex but at least they are made by companies with their brand name on the front door.  Rolex watches have always been easy to sell and repair (until they cut parts off) so I bought/sold a lot of them over the years.  Never liked to wear one though, probably wore more replica/Frankenstein 'rolex' watches than genuine and not very many of either compared to other brands.

Always liked Bulova and Citizen, now Bulova is owned by Citizen and that's Ok with me.  Can't understand why they did not put the Miyota 9015 in the new Devil Diver though.  The  Archive Series DD came with a Sellita SW 220 and the regular DD came with a Miyota 821D. 

https://gearpatrol.com/2018/01/11/bulova-devil-diver-reissue/

https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/tag-heuer/springfield-new-jersey-07081/tag-heuer-pro-time-lmvh-tag-repair-tag-heuer-creating-profits-from-unneeded-repairs-spr-1172290

Guest Bjd1020
(Oris)  "They know there is only one repair place in NA and so they treat you like [censored]."

Sounds like they follow the TAG/Heuer model.  Same type of arrogance.  The TAG/Heuer repair shop (Pro Time back then) 'lady' told me I was 'not qualified to work on their fine swiss watches'.  I told her I just needed the part (crown) so I could use their 'fine swiss watch' for boot in a push lawnmower trade at the local flea market.  The old batt slammed the phone down.  No crown for me.
Now Tag/Heuer genuine crowns etc are all over the internet for sale for less than their USA repair outfit tried to charge.  Not much demand for Oris parts so they probably will not show up for sale on the 'net.

Many watches are really not worth much out in the real world.  Oris is one brand that comes to mind.  I have owned a few nos that I bought in closeouts for a few cents on the retail dollar...their true worth imho.
Besides that, I never liked brand names that begin with the letter 'O'.  Omega has a good following but the name begins with 'O' and I just do not like them very much for that reason...plus their fragile 5xx/7xx movements, and the worst of the worst...their 10xx movements.  They are high priced Swatches now anyway, might as well call them Swat-O-Megas. 
Never owned an Oldsmobile either.  Ha!

Never cared for Seiko very much and never 'liked' rolex but at least they are made by companies with their brand name on the front door.  Rolex watches have always been easy to sell and repair (until they cut parts off) so I bought/sold a lot of them over the years.  Never liked to wear one though, probably wore more replica/Frankenstein 'rolex' watches than genuine and not very many of either compared to other brands.
Always liked Bulova and Citizen, now Bulova is owned by Citizen and that's Ok with me.  Can't understand why they did not put the Miyota 9015 in the new Devil Diver though.  The  Archive Series DD came with a Sellita SW 220 and the regular DD came with a Miyota 821D. 

https://gearpatrol.com/2018/01/11/bulova-devil-diver-reissue/

https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/tag-heuer/springfield-new-jersey-07081/tag-heuer-pro-time-lmvh-tag-repair-tag-heuer-creating-profits-from-unneeded-repairs-spr-1172290

A lot of good info and could t agree more. Im a huge fan of citizen myself. My first watch was a citizen aqualand...ive purchased 3 since. My latest is pictured below. Like ive said. You should pop over to the watchuseek firum and see the gangbang the certified watch repair guys put on my post. They just cant stand the fact that their craft is no longer a special trade.....so they will pounce on anyone with a time grapher and a set of tweezers. 112891d9a08e1be97604c3bc3a49e528.jpg

Always liked the earlier 'oversize' Aqualand models.  The only Citizen diver I have now is a mid 1970s reference 62-6198, original except for a sapphire crystal conversion. 

https://sweep-hand.org/citizens-vintage-divers-1962-to-1980/

https://vintagecitizenwatches.com/tag/62-6198/

https://usa.crystaltimes.net/product-category/products/brands/citizen-sapphire-crystals-watch-parts/

On 10 May 2019 at 9:01 PM, Bjd1020 said:

It amazes me if you read the responses to my post in watchuseek. Those goons went nuts over my post.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/why-oris-garbage-do-not-buy-one-4951113.html

Watchuseek was the very first forum I joined  and  after a couple of weeks I never logged on again!  it looks like it is a club where morons like to  meet up and dribble from both their top and bottom mouths at the same time!  At first I thought that I was the problem until I read many more posts like yours over the decades!  I find similar attitude from most TAG Whorer  ( let me correct that -Heuer) owners

Guest Bjd1020
So where is the watch now?
On my bench. I have two actually.....one was purchased at the beginning of this ordeal for parts that I used.......both crowns were stripped. As I have stated the crowns on this watch were not designed properly or not finished properly. They wear out prematurely. After much bashing on my post in watchuseek I told a dude id send it to him so Ive packed up the second case, dial hands, strap and buckle and will send it to him. I think ill use the case for another build. Basically the only thing left of the original watch that has survived is the case. The luminescent paint in the hands has chipped out, the markers on the dial have corroded, the crown stripped, the movement.....well has been rebuilt, most of which has been replaced.

Watchuseek was the very first forum I joined  and  after a couple of weeks I never logged on again!  it looks like it is a club where morons like to  meet up and dribble from both their top and bottom mouths at the same time!  At first I thought that I was the problem until I read many more posts like yours over the decades!  I find similar attitude from most TAG Whorer  ( let me correct that -Heuer) owners
Yeah. I learned early on what they were about. When my issue first began and I posted there I received nothing but lambasting and belittlement. I also learned that the guys at boston watch, Oriss only NA repair facility are some how in cahoots with the admins over there....through the help on watch repair talk I have been able to learn how to strip down and rebuild a 7750. Like I said before these watch repair nazis over think their craft is something special......maybe 100 years ago when 3/4s of the worlds population was illiterate.....Mark and Old Hippy and the guys over at watch repair talk get it. They understand the need to share information to protect the craft not hord it.

Guest keeper

Watchmakers...eh?

You'd think they know more than us? Crowns..always a problem....no0bs always find difficulty with them.

Still, the unshiny bits are a worry.

Guest Bjd1020
Watchmakers...eh?
You'd think they know more than us? Crowns..always a problem....no0bs always find difficulty with them.
Still, the unshiny bits are a worry.
Not sure what to make of your post......no doubt im a noob. Its the reluctance to share information and belittling that I cant stand. As if there is some superior human race that exits the vaginas of their mothers knowing how to properly oil a balance or how to straighten a hairspring.

Guest keeper
On 5/15/2019 at 2:22 AM, Bjd1020 said:

Not sure what to make of your post......no doubt im a noob. Its the reluctance to share information and belittling that I cant stand. As if there is some superior human race that exits the vaginas of their mothers knowing how to properly oil a balance or how to straighten a hairspring.

That'll be you and me then.