When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

116520 - Another GenRepenstein with some modern tweaks

hologramet

Currently the watch box has a surplus of "Super"-frankens. I wanted to show off a couple of them.

SPECS & BUILD COST:

Case:

Midcase: Noob 116520 lathed crystal area, slightly lower rehaut height, removed rehaut engravings // Custom work by my friend. Let's say 200€ for midcase

Caseback: Preik crystal caseback (http://www.customwatchconcepts.com/product_info.php?products_id=22&MODsid=75b2f7f5e03adea50fe2fd679792efe1) 190€ (also have a gen caseback, not currently used)

Crown/Tube: Gen 704-Crown + Gen 7030 tube // 180€

Pushers: Gen 24-P302-0 // 350€

Crystal: 25-295 // 250€

Bezel: Gen 116520 // 500

Internals:

Movement: Gen NOS 4130 // 2800€ incl. service

Dial: Gen 116509 Panda dial // 1500€

Hands: Gen 116509 Panda hands // 250€

Bracelet:

Links & Clasp: ARF 116500-bracelet, refinished by me // 120€

Total: 6350€ (6750€ incl. gen caseback)

Pictures coming this afternoon...

Guest keeper

Super-frankens are...just rep watches.  They're a trope in the rep world...designed to lure in the unwary.

So, be careful what you spend your money on folks.

:)

Super-frankens are...just rep watches.  They're a trope in the rep world...designed to lure in the unwary.

The feeling of having Swiss 904L steel in the midcase and bracelet is definitely worth 12000€. So, be careful what you spend your money on folks.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Guest keeper
On 5/15/2019 at 4:18 AM, hologramet said:

The feeling of having Swiss 904L steel in the midcase and bracelet is definitely worth 12000€. So, be careful what you spend your money on folks.

You'll have a metallurgist report of course?

As a plain old engineer I can tell you straight out...Rolex don't have a bespoke SS...whatever you believe.

Guest keeper
On 5/17/2019 at 5:46 AM, hologramet said:

Exactly... You just stated some of the reasons for going franken and not gen.

I saved 12000€ by going with Chinese steel in the midcase and bracelet. That's 60% off.

Sarcasm over the internet is hard.

i agree 😎

Edited by keeper

Guest keeper

12000 times

A company I worked for went down the Chinese steel route.

Result was 450,000 of castings sent back, 90,000 on ruined tooling.  2 million in total including laughs.

4 hours ago, keeper said:

12000 times

A company I worked for went down the Chinese steel route.

Result was 450,000 of castings sent back, 90,000 on ruined tooling.  2 million in total including laughs.

I don't think compressed toe nail clippings = steel.

Guest keeper

On 5/21/2019 at 6:13 AM, hologramet said:

I don't think compressed toe nail clippings = steel.

giphy.gif

Edited by keeper

How was the movement fit up in the case?

Fitup issues would be the kind of thing that would worry me with a non-gen case.

I’m glad it all worked out. It really looks nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How was the movement fit up in the case?

Fitup issues would be the kind of thing that would worry me with a non-gen case.

I’m glad it all worked out. It really looks nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It actually fit without any problems. Stem height right. Pushers right etc.

Much much much better than Phongs 2000 USD 116520-midcase.

On 5/14/2019 at 7:05 PM, keeper said:

This is a thought provoking thread folks.  A few days ago I criticized a well respected member of this community for his rude comments on watch whose pics I posted on the Wrist Shot section of the forum. These comments were about the poor quaility of my rep, that he rated as a Cannal Street watch.  Now the topic is not about spending too little on a rep - which wasn not exactly my case - but spendind too much. In my humble opinion, everyone has the right to decide which way to go when purchasing or creating a rep. The most important thing is to bear in mind though, is being aware of the fact that we are talking about replica watches.  No matter how much or little they cost, they are just copies of a gen watch that in no way  are intended to assume its "identity."

On 5/14/2019 at 7:05 PM, keeper said:

I am surprised to see a comment taking a dig at super frankens like these. 

I spent more than OP while building a super franken 6538. It's one of my most treasured possessions. 

Seems silly to say that a super-franken is just a rep and not worth spending $,$$$ on when we are, at the end of the day, collecting tools that are obsolete - replica or otherwise.

• Like 2

Hologramet that is a fine build my friend !! Stunning ! 

As for comments about spending too much ? Hmm that’s really subjective. Many fellas on these forums like myself can easily go but a genuine version of the watches we build ..  lol but it’s just not that fun 😁  

where did you track down the dial and hands ? I really really love these dials on a Daytona and want to build one 😁

• Like 1

17 hours ago, alterego said:

This is a thought provoking thread folks.  A few days ago I criticized a well respected member of this community for his rude comments on watch whose pics I posted on the Wrist Shot section of the forum. These comments were about the poor quaility of my rep, that he rated as a Cannal Street watch.  Now the topic is not about spending too little on a rep - which wasn not exactly my case - but spendind too much. In my humble opinion, everyone has the right to decide which way to go when purchasing or creating a rep. The most important thing is to bear in mind though, is being aware of the fact that we are talking about replica watches.  No matter how much or little they cost, they are just copies of a gen watch that in no way  are intended to assume its "identity."

And the well respected member of this community is hereby telling you that this comment has no place on this thread. Cease and desist immediately or take a time out. If you have a problem, feel free to PM me directly. Else, do not air your grievance on every thread, especially when you have no real reason to feel aggrieved in the first place. 

Stop here and now. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...