RWG
Timelord

Silver plastic sealed eta mvt packets?

How many of you ever came across to a sealed eta packet containing a new 2836-2 but no other information whether it is the 17 jewel or the 25 jewel version of it ?  Is there a code on the packet that  would give his information?   The best would be to open them but then it is too late if it is the wrong one!  

Would the 17 jewel version be less inferior to the 25 jewel one due to less jewel count?

The 25 jewel model might have a little less friction in the autowind assembly making the winding a little bit more efficient.  I have seen a lot of 17 jewel Eta automatics and they seem to hold up fine as long as the auto assembly is c/o every few years so the bushings do not go dry.  Most of the Eta 28xx autowind trouble is with the reverser itself and bushing wear is not much of a problem as far as I know.  I would rather have the 25 jewel model if I had a choice though.

I have put china etaclone a/w assemblies on a few older 17 jewel Eta 2846 movements and they seem to work Ok.  I clean the a/w assembly and soak the reversers in a mix of fast evaporating solvent/watch oil mix for a few minutes and it seems to help a little. 

WUS Purist types ain't gonna like this...  :cry:  ...the truth is I usually run the (Eta) a/w assembly complete (not disassembled) in cleaner minus the ball bearing rotor in an ultrasonic cleaning machine, rinse twice, soak the whole thing in the Witch's Brew, warm air dry it, then go back and oil the pivots with D5.  Many Purists use some kind of high priced '2 cycle mix' for the reversers but the home brew seems to work Ok for me. 

Btw...you might be surprised at the number of bonafide 'main line' watch mechanics that take similar shortcuts while charging nose bleed prices.

I will admit to not being much of an Eta Purist.   :animal_rooster:

18 hours ago, automatico said:

The 25 jewel model might have a little less friction in the autowind assembly making the winding a little bit more efficient.  I have seen a lot of 17 jewel Eta automatics and they seem to hold up fine as long as the auto assembly is c/o every few years so the bushings do not go dry.  Most of the Eta 28xx autowind trouble is with the reverser itself and bushing wear is not much of a problem as far as I know.  I would rather have the 25 jewel model if I had a choice though.

I have put china etaclone a/w assemblies on a few older 17 jewel Eta 2846 movements and they seem to work Ok.  I clean the a/w assembly and soak the reversers in a mix of fast evaporating solvent/watch oil mix for a few minutes and it seems to help a little. 

WUS Purist types ain't gonna like this...  :cry:  ...the truth is I usually run the (Eta) a/w assembly complete (not disassembled) in cleaner minus the ball bearing rotor in an ultrasonic cleaning machine, rinse twice, soak the whole thing in the Witch's Brew, warm air dry it, then go back and oil the pivots with D5.  Many Purists use some kind of high priced '2 cycle mix' for the reversers but the home brew seems to work Ok for me. 

Btw...you might be surprised at the number of bonafide 'main line' watch mechanics that take similar shortcuts while charging nose bleed prices.

I will admit to not being much of an Eta Purist.   :animal_rooster:

Great information !  Thanks !

The 8 less jewels in the 17 jewel mechanism would mean that there are less jewels in the auto wind assembly!  I never really noticed.

I too prefer the 25 J over the 17 J version, but if buying new sealed from the packet it is usually impossible to tell as they never say how many jewels are in the mechanisms!   

6 hours ago, SSTEEL said:

Mine usually come like this in batches.

15306273856_07dbf83668_k.jpgUntitled by S STEEL, on Flickr

Yes exactly  what I was referring to!  What do those codes mean on the white label?  How do you know it is a 25 J or 17 J  without opening the packet?  A local here has the following codes RO3648852 on some of his 2836-2 followed by 8.11 and 1P! How can one tell what type of movement is in it without opening it? I cant make him an offer as I don't know what is inside it