When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 36mm Dials

DoMeister

Hi, 

Im new here and hoping to ask a few questions to clarify a few confusing areas and identify some solutions. 

A 1601 had a 1570 cal and the dial feet positioned at 30/57 (y/n?)

A 16014 had a 3035 cal and feet position at 12/37 (y/n?)

Are the cases and cal above the same dimensions? 

In a 1601 case...

A 2824-2 is a smaller dimension and height to the 1570 and therefore needs two spacer rings, 1 between the movement and the casing and one between the movement and the dial? 

A 2824-2 also needs a h4 hour wheel to allow for the correct height needed. 

A 30/57 dial from a 1601 should the screw directly into the base plate of the 2824-2?

A 12/37 will not. It requires its feet to be repositioned? Are there adapters on the market to save the feet being removed fully?

if one was determined to use a 12/37 dial in a 1601 would an alternative ETA be required? 

Lastly, where do I source the parts these days, a lot of the posts I have read are quite old now. The Bay would be easier. 

Thanks all Dom 

"A 1601 had a 1570 cal and the dial feet positioned at 30/57 (y/n?)"

Yes

"A 16014 had a 3035 cal and feet position at 12/37 (y/n?)"

Yes  

Note:  The 16xx dials are dished down at the outer edge and 160xx/162xx dials are flat (same dial foot location on 3035/3135) so this must be taken into consideration when using a 16xx case vs a 160xx or 162xx case.  On top of that, the 3035 movement is thicker than a 3135 movement from the stem center to the dial so the cases are different.  On the same note, an ETA 2836 will not fit properly in a case made for an ETA 2824.  So...the hit or miss rule is a case made to rolex 3035 spec will usually accept an ETA 2836 and a case made to rolex 3135 spec will usually accept an ETA 2824.  The key word being usually.

"A 30/57 dial from a 1601 should the screw directly into the base plate of the 2824-2?"

No.  Any rolex 15xx, 30xx, 31xx dial will not work on an ETA 28xx because the dial feet are in a different location from the ETA.

"A 2824-2 also needs a h4 hour wheel to allow for the correct height needed."

You will need more than that.  You can look at  eBay item number  132956881176  for a list of the parts that are needed.

"A 12/37 will not. (fit an ETA 28xx)  It requires its feet to be repositioned? Are there adapters on the market to save the feet being removed fully?"

I have read that some ETA main plates can be drilled to accept some rolex dials but I have never tried it and do I know which dials/movements might work.

"if one was determined to use a 12/37 dial in a 1601 would an alternative ETA be required?"

A '12/37' dial for a rolex 3035/3135 will fit into a 16xx case but you have to take into account that you are using a flat dial in place of a dished dial so the movement thickness will come into play.  This all consists of complicated procedures (believe it or not), and just a few hundredths of a millimeter can make a big difference.

A smart man once said  "The only substitute for knowledge is money."  He was right. 

Read and learn.  :pimp:

Btw, buying a watch from BK etc might be the way to go starting out because any mistakes made on a project are part of the overall cost of the resulting watch and this often adds up to more than a ready made watch would cost.

Good luck!

Building a DJ using a 1600 case, a 2824-2 with a DWO and a 16000 flat dial (or a 16200 dial- they're pretty close to the same) should be pretty simple. I did something similar when I built a 1016 with a 1601 DJ case.

Z1kp0t.jpg

You can get the #2 spacer ring from raffles and you might need to pick up a 600 DJ 6mm crown, but it was a pretty simple build. Oh, you can get the hands from Clark's.

@automatico thanks for taking the time to walk through those questions. I needed some straightening out on a few things! 

@alligoat thanks, I want to keep it simple alright, too many mistakes could spoil an enjoyable new hobby! I picked up a #600 crown I just bought 2x spacers from raffles I bought a crystal from Clark, are their crystals good? Nostalgia-2000 on the bay - is that correct? Then with your build, do I still need the h4 3 piece kit? 

Thx Dom