When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swapping a F06111 for a 2xxx automatic

DoMeister

Hi, I’m looking for a little advice. 

I have a Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF1110 which has the eta F06.111 movement.

i want to change this for an automatic movement. I think from research WAF111x series are all quartz and WAF211x series are all automatic, is that correct? 

Are the WAF111x and WAF211x cases the same, will the automatic fit in place of the quartz movement? Straightforward transplant? 

If not are there any suggested automatic movements for the WAF111x series case? Any suggested threads appreciated.

Thanks all

• 2 years later...

The quartz movement is around 4mm thick- you can google the specs. It's a little more tricky to find specs on the WAF2111 BA0806 movement in the Aquaracer Automatic movement. Tag has used the eta 2824 and refers to it as the Calibre 5. ETA has also modified the 2824-2 and come out with a seiries of new movements that are detuned so to speak and run at 21.6K with a longer power reserve. Maybe CO811 or something like that- Tissot uses them and they're referred to as Powermatic. But I can't tell what the WAF2111 movement is- WAN2110 is a Calibre 5/2824-2/SW200. The 2824-2 is 4.6mm tall. So it's a crap shoot! BTW, hand sizes for the Quartz are 70/120/20 so you'll need new hands if you go with the 2824-2.

Good luck! 

This is an old post but I wanted to warn anyone thinking about buying a Tissy Powermatic.   :animal_rooster:

Alligoat hit the bull's eye when he said  "Good luck!"

I thought about going the opposite route...put a quartz movement in an Omega SM with a Miyota clone in it.  The case, dial, and bracelet are fine but the clone movement is not much good.  Never got around to it.

"ETA has also modified the 2824-2 and come out with a series of new movements that are detuned so to speak and run at 21.6K with a longer power reserve.  Maybe CO811 or something like that- Tissot uses them and they're referred to as Powermatic."

Afaik the Powermatic is available only in watches made by Swatch and may not be for sale separately (??).  Besides that, I would beware of the 'Powermatic' movement because it is supposedly not to be repaired/serviced by anyone except ETA 'Factory Service Centers' if it breaks or gains/loses time. 

Imho it is was made for a longer running reserve and low cost.  It reminds me of the movements used in Swatch automatics, they ran fine...for a while. 

From Caliber Corner...

The Powermatic 80 is not equipped with an ETAChron or other type of regulating system. Similar to the Sistem51, the Powermatic 80 laser regulated at the factory. This is what Tissot refers to as their “High-Tech” escapement. This doesn’t necessarily mean that the movement is impossible to adjust or service, but good luck finding parts or a watchmaker who will want to work on it. This is something for hardcore mechanical watch lovers to take into consideration before spending $1,000+ on a two-tone Tissot Luxury.

Tissot Caliber Powermatic 80 Watch Movement | Caliber Corner

The eta F06.111 3 jewel movement is in reality a 'handsome cheapie' as it has some 100% plastic train wheels/pivots and they put jewels on the plastic pivots to make them appear to be expensive when used in higher $$ watches.

Imho the F06 series is not too hot compared to the tried and true 7 jewel, metal plate/wheel train ETA 955.xxx series of quartz movements.

ETA also makes a bottom feeder movement that is used in place of the 955.xxx and F06.111 in many applications...the 805.xxx and you might see one in lower priced watches.

ETA 2824 info...

ETA Caliber 2824-2 Watch Movement | Caliber Corner