When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crystal in my sub keeps falling out

horologist

Greetings

I have a submariner replica which I purchased many moons ago which has had little use after having forgotten about it when moving places.  I cannot recall if it was from silix or from Paul .  

But all I can say is that I have has difficulties keeping the sapphire coated crystal in the case as no matter how many times I have replaced the crystal gasket nothing seems to help.  The crystal is a simple straight edge without any steps measuring 30.47mm and somehow none of the gaskets seem to hold it in.  I even tried the UV glass to metal product with no luck! 

Anyone ever experienced a stubborn fickle crystal staying put in the case and solved the issue apart from putting it under your car tyre for good, I would appreciate your  input with thanks!

I recently fixed a watch with the same kind of issue. 

It was an aftermarket crystal and gasket did not seem to want to hold it for long. 

However, I used UV glue to set the crystal and after the necessary curing it fits perfectly well now without any dislodge.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3 July 2019 at 4:15 PM, Legend said:

I recently fixed a watch with the same kind of issue. 

It was an aftermarket crystal and gasket did not seem to want to hold it for long. 

However, I used UV glue to set the crystal and after the necessary curing it fits perfectly well now without any dislodge.

Thanks and sorry for my late acknowledgement !  Been away for surgery!

did you still use the crystal gasket as my understanding is that most of the UV glues bond glass to metal ?