When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is it Live, or is it Memorex?

automatico

"Wow! and the auction house still sold it, unbelievable!"

For 78,000 Euros!!  Shazam!!  Gone in a Flash!!   :animal_rooster:

Wonder how much the next guy pays for it?

"I wonder what forum the watch was originally born on" 

Me too.  Someone probably made a lot of $$ on it.

The V72A, V72B, V72BC, 722, 722-1 Daytonas all have Breguet hairspring balance assemblies (p/n 722).  Seems like that would be very hard to find today.

Here is a complete V72 on eBay at $3000 with three days to go:

eBay item number  333269329354

I do not know if it is Live or Memorex, I'm not boned up on them.

Note...it went for $6099.00 plus $35 shipping on 7-21-2019.

Here is another one with the (722) balance assembly and the other high $$ parts missing for 'only' $6500. 

eBay item number  223468877851

What is sad is that I missed one for $1600 in 1995.  A friend who worked in a rolex AD sold it to a traveling circus... "Sell us your old rolll-ex! your ole paaa-tek philll-ippe! etc."  They staked out in a motel room and advertised on the radio for a few days, then moved on to another town.

I used to talk to Burley Bullock at watch shows, he was one of the first guys advertising to buy watches on the radio.  He went on to form the IWJG.  (BLB RIP May 2008)

"This guy is the Sherlock Holmes for Vintage Rolex and Panerai."

If someone can make up a Daytona this close to genuine, imagine how easy it is to make passable 55xx, 1680, 1016 etc watches with so many rlx 15xx movements around.  I have said for years that there are probably lots of Frankenstein 55xx etc being passed around as genuine.  Genuine dials have been a problem but now some reproductions are close enough for the average common sense aficionado. 

I will always wonder about rolex freaks who fully accept service dials then starts shaking and peeing down their leg when they see a first class reproduction dial...assuming they can tell the difference.

None of my replica 'vintage' watches would fool anyone except maybe a greenhorn yard sale buyer and this is on purpose so the watches do not end up being sold as genuine.  I stick them together to wear now and then because I like the 1960/1970 style rlx watches.

Q...Why replicas?

A1...Because I would feel like a fool paying today's prices for a 'genuine' example that might not even be 80% genuine.

A2...Can't afford much more than a 4 digit DJ or AK anyway.

A3...No parts/high part prices.

"I believe he was the guy that helped expose "Orchi" of TRF fame."

I remember 'Orchi'.  He sure had a lot to say about his watches.  Now I know why. 

I'm with you.  I love my Franken & Genenstein's (Swap Job's).  I have also reached the station in life where I don't give a $hit about being nit-picked/called out.  Especially because I tend to use Gen Service Dial's.  I have been away from RWG for a bit, but after going mostly legit, I no longer see the value, and am back here to build and roost. 

Edited by Ronin
  • Like 3

"I have also reached the station in life where I don't give a $hit about being nit-picked/called out."

Me too, a long time ago.

I used to have to decide between an MBK '5512' Frankenstein with a 1570 and an MBK '5513' F-stein with a 1520 until I swapped the 1570 for an ETA 2879 and took the '5513' apart.

Then I had to decide between the MBK/ETA '5512' and a $150 cartel '5512' with a Seagull ST16 that I stuck together.  The cartel/Seagull usually wins because the whole watch is worth about 20% of the MBK and killing it would not hurt much.

The MBK/ETA '5512' is put away with the '5513' parts for now.

I mostly wear an Accutron II 'Moonview' so I removed the automatic winding guts from the cartel ST16 and manually wind it (about 30 cranks) every morning even if I do not wear it for days at a time.  Thirty cranks in 30 seconds = about 30 hours running.

A manually operated watch winder...that's a new concept!   :prop:   Alert the media!  It will put quartz watches out of business!

• Like 1