When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Marlon brando 1675 Bezel ???

Zigoto

Hi guys,

I've got the project to make the GMT 1675 of Marlon Brando in Apocalypse now.

Small budget so i'll start with a Chronotac GMT but i need to find the metallic bezel and a dial to look like the same.

Or if someone have an other idea ???

Thanks for the help

"I also find it interesting that everyone accepts this is how MB wore his watch. I assume he pulled the bezel off for the film. Makes you wonder if it was pulled off again for the sale."

From Robb Report:

Brando was said to have been told to remove his Rolex, but refused, saying:  "If they’re looking at my watch, then I’m not doing my job as an actor."  though he did remove the watch’s bezel.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/long-lost-marlon-brando-rolex-tour-5-cities-hit-auction-block-1225070

https://robbreport.com/style/watch-collector/marlon-brandos-apocalypse-now-rolex-gmt-master-2857936/

From 'UNIQUE WATCH':

Trade Marks:  Method Acting. Mumbling. Difficult to work with.

During the filming of ‘Apocalypse Now’ Brando detested Dennis Hopper so much he refused to shoot any of his scenes with him.

Delays in production led some to nickname the film ‘Apocalypse Later’.

Image result for marlon brando wearing two watchesImage result for marlon brando wearing two watchesImage result for marlon brando wearing two watches

See the source image

See the source image

Brando's Godfather DJ...

https://robbreport.com/style/watch-collector/the-godfathers-watch-marlon-brandos-rolex-datejust-heads-to-auction-2849758/

Pics from HODINKEE

H17905-L171044239.JPG?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&

brando_01.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&auto=for

• Like 1

My guess is Brando simply pried the rotating bezel off with his fingers and left the watch alone.  You can push the rotating bezel to one side and pull up on the other side to remove the rotating bezel by hand on most of these watches.  This is why posters on genuine rlx forums complain about losing rotating bezels on submariners etc.  A small smack on a door frame and off they go.  Sporty watch gold rotating bezels can just 'fall on the floor' because the soft gold wears away where it snaps over the crystal retainer bezel, especially if the owner turns the bezel a lot.  Sometimes they pop off when shoving a hand in a tight pocket etc.

Older models had spring wire retainer bezels and they hardly ever fell off.  Spring wire bezels are a better way to go imho but snap on bezels are easier to r/r...and they can $ell more bezels.

As for putting a smooth bezel on the watch in place of the crystal retaining bezel...it would probably look better but you may have to get one made. 

I have a couple submariner type 'lug hole' cases and ordered a few different dials from Raffles Time to put a project watch together with a smooth bezel, 'California' dial, acrylic crystal, and unsigned 7mm crown but never finished it because I can buy a similar watch on eBay for $100 or less now. 

From 'My watch of the day' blog':

Image result for watches with california dials                                                                                                                                                                                          

"Do you know who could do the smooth plain bezel..."

Just about anyone who can make small precision parts on a lathe.  I use 316 seamless tubing to make bezels.  Also have some 904 but use 316 most of the time...very little (if any) real difference.  A machine shop friend got the tubing and cut it into slightly oversize bezel blanks that I cut to the finished size.

(I no longer take in outside work because I have been down that rabbit hole too many times.  Anyone who has done this type of work will understand.)

"...and where I could find the GMT vintage dial with hands?"

You need to know:

The movement brand/type.

Dial seat outer diameter so the dial will fit in the case.

Then look for a dial/hand set that will work with your movement and case combo.  Good vintage 1675 type dials are harder to find and usually more $$ than modern GMT dials.  Many modern GMT cartel dials are pretty good but most cartel replica 1675 dials are not very good.  It is also a good idea to use case clamps and screws to secure the movement in the case rather than a plastic spacer.  Many cases do not have a groove (or notches) cut inside them to accommodate case clamps so the groove will need to be machine cut.

You can cut notches inside the case by hand using a Dremel tool with a small, thin cut-off wheel but you may need to practice on a scrap case first.  If you do not remove the crystal...put a couple layers of masking tape on the crystal inside the case to protect it.

Cut-off wheel example:  eBay item number  362461547044

• 2 weeks later...