When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

If the crystal is just too big... (1680/5513)

e30m3

I've been talked down from this on an earlier build, but here we are again: I'm just too cheap to drop $900 on a fake case. So, I've got a cartel 1680/5513 case here for my budget 1680 project and I've tried both the Sternkruz and Clark's 25-127 crystals. Both are too loose, but the Clark's is closer - it moves JUUUUUST BARELY around the case neck (I'm not sure you could get a hair in between the two). I know I can glue the crap out of it and get it to stay on there, but what if I want something that pressure tests? There has to be some solution, doesn't there?

"Both are too loose, but the Clark's is closer - it moves JUUUUUST BARELY around the case neck."

If this is without the crystal retainer ring...

It will be Ok because the crystal should not be a tight fit over the case neck.  What matters is how it works with an oem spec crystal retainer ring. 

If the retainer ring feels too tight (like it might crack the crystal) when pressing it on, the OD is too big.  It should feel a little bit tight at first then press on down without stopping.  If the ring  goes all at once with little effort, it is too loose.

"...it moves JUUUUUST BARELY around the case neck."

If this is after the crystal retainer ring has been pressed on and you can turn it by hand...it's too loose.  You should not be able to turn it with your fingers. 

GS makes three or four different 5512/13 (T19) crystals.  I used one on a DW case that has a 28.1mm crystal neck (should be 28.2mm).  The oem spec crystal retainer ring squeezed it down tight enough to work.  I do not remember which GS p/n it was.

http://www.ofrei.com/page419.html

GS crystals are precision made and all are very close to the same but many no name generic crystals may vary quite a bit so I gathered up a small collection of them and use the closest fit.

"I'm just too cheap to drop $900 on a fake case."

If you pay $900 for a case, it is a Reproduction case, not a fake case.  Ha!  

Automatico is correct. If the crystal is tight after you install the crystal retainer, you're good to go. Be sure you remove the movement before you pressure test. If it passes your test, you can be confident it will pass the same test after assembly is complete. Good luck.

Don't think that genuine parts will *always* work either.  I had my A.D. install a new, never-opened Superdome Tropic 39 on a gen Sea Dweller and it failed the pressure test.

:snorkel:

• Like 1

" I'll pressure test after I finish thinning the case a bit and report back..."

I pressure test some of my project watches and rigged a Bergeon 5555/98 so it can be pressurized with an air tank (posted this before).  Usually start out around 20 or 30 psi and go to 100 psi (about 7 atm) if the watch will make it that far.  I have had quite a few crystals blow off the case when plunged under water and the pressure released quickly...a good reason to test them without a movement.  Do not know how much pressure the tester will stand but the 555/98 is supposed to be an improvement over the 5555 that was famous for cracked pressure domes.

I have also made cases leak slightly so the case will pressurize and blow the crystal off to remove a crystal without prying on the bezel...gold bezel DJ etc. 

I find about as many leaks around the case tube where it is screwed into the case as crystal leaks, especially if the case tube to case gasket is not a good fit.  If you look in a watch and rust is crawling up the stem, it is usually the case tube or crown leaking.  The rust will travel and start eating on other bits in the movement before long.

eBay has China made 5555 type testers for around $125.

The 'swiss made' Bergeon is $700 or so.  Ream.  Apply lube.  Gouge.   :shock: