When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The curious case of my peculiar Subby

karlfranz

"Didn't MBW do that on a batch of GMT Master dials way back in the day?"

Have a '1675' from around 2005 with a swisseta 2836 that has  'OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE'  on the dial.  The word  'DATE'  should not be there.

Since it has a 28800 bph movement maybe it can pose as a '16750' with  'DATE'  on the dial by mistake.  Printed marker dials did not have the word  'DATE'  (afaik, never say never), but the 16750 with applied markers did have the word  'DATE'  on the dial.

It also has a 6.0mm crown, might be a submariner case of some sort.  It looks pretty good from about 15 feet away.

Also have a clasp from the same period with  'RBGFRKED' over  'SNSAWABE'  on the left side and  'STEBLHOX'  on the right.  They must have been Shitinerand when they made them.  :animal_rooster:

Here is a similar clasp:

https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/topic/51294-rolex-datejust-rbgsfrked-snsawabe-steblhox/

When I first got the watch, it would stop every few days whilst wearing it. Looking at the Asian movement, it turns out it really was a “DATE” but with a window-less DATE dial. I noticed that the date jumper spring was dislodged and causing the movement to get stuck. I removed it, along with the datewheel and gears and it has been running fine since. 

On 8/21/2019 at 1:51 PM, automatico said:

Have a '1675' from around 2005 with a swisseta 2836 that has  'OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE'  on the dial.  The word  'DATE'  should not be there.

I may have one or two of them in the box, I'll have to check.  They worth anything as a collectors item? :crazy:

"I may have one or two of them in the box, I'll have to check.  They worth anything as a collectors item?"

They may be worth digging out because mine has a new (nos now!) swiss Eta 2836 with China 24 hour kit and the case is not too bad.  Better than one with an etaclone by a long shot imho and the non adjustable China 24 hour kits used back then were trouble free.  I went through my repjunk last week and found some watches I had forgotten about including two swisseta 2836 '1655' and a pair of 36mm swisseta sapphire 'explorers' from Abay.