When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How much is this dial worth?

automatico

bed089587e11ce2459d737b33541d598.jpg

Around $20,000 evidently.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vintagerolexforum/fs-rolex-explorer-5500-double-swiss-gilt-dial-t254416.html

I bought an AK like this, rivet oyster and all  except with a regular AK dial  for under $1000 a couple years ago so that makes the dial around $20k from my perspective.

I also have a box from that era that was given to me but no papers for the AK.

Seems like a lot for a dial.  

I take it all back.  The price was reduced to $19,750 this morning, making it 'affordable'.   :animal_rooster:

But I'll still have to pass on it because I am saving up for my next 409...

"Well I saved my pennies and I saved my dimes. (giddy up giddy up 409)

For I knew there would be a time. (giddy up giddy up 409)

When I would buy a brand new 409."

I finally got a used 1962 Chevrolet 'Bubble Top' with a 409 when I was out of high school...409, two Carter AFB, four speed, 411 Posi.  Before that (senior in HS) I had a red '61 Impala with 348, three deuces, 4 speed, 370 Posi etc.  Paid for them myself working every chance I got.

They are long gone but I still have an aluminum 409 intake manifold (for a single Carter AFB) that I use in the garage for a doorstop on windy days.

1962-Chevrolet-Bel%20Air-american-classics--Car-101114655-78f966f0ef8db42ea1e487d16ba23c89.jpg?w=735&h=551&r=pad&c=%23f5f5f5

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1962/chevrolet/bel_air/101114655

The `62 bubble top Bel-Air was a very rare car even back then. In the days of premium ethyl gasoline at under 30¢/gallon the way to more power was to pour more gas in it. 3 deuces and dual quads were all the rage. Unfortunately the 409 had it's limits in RPMs and blew up a bunch. But that was the year my favorite engine came out, the 327 cubic inch with the small journal forged crank. The modifications available over the years is astounding. It even ran at Indy. 

"It is a 62 double swiss dial ....it is rare ..but is it worth 20 grand....to the person who is willing to pay it , I suppose."

The catch (with overpriced items like this) usually is the buyer who pays $19000.00+/- for it may have nowhere to go when he gets tired of it in a few months and ends up taking a big loss.  I have seen this many times.  If someone pays this much for the watch they are probably one of maybe 10 buyers in the world who would pay this much for this watch...imho.  Goofy lunatics at auctions are exceptions of course.

Or...the buyer keeps it and 20 years down the road he goes toes up and his grandkid sells it to a pawn shop for $200 to get a buzz on.  I have seen this too.

Since it is not my $$ I get a kick out of it...but what do I know?

(1962)  "But that was the year my favorite engine came out, the 327 cubic inch with the small journal forged crank."

Yep, I went through quite a few 'skinny crank' 327s.  Had one in a 'Street Racer' '55 Chevrolet with a CSC 3/8 stroker crank (364 ci), roller cam/rev kit, Vertex magneto, Edelbrock 'Tarantula', Holley 850 'Center Squirter', 'Angle Plug' heads,  M22 Rock Crusher, 4:88 Posi etc...and a straight front axle.  It was a ground stomper back then but now an average stock high HP late model Mustang, Camaro, Challenger with the A/C on will leave it in the dust.

I parted it out in the summer of 1970, put a 300HP 327 with M21, 3:70 in it and sold it for $1100 with four 8 1/2 x 15 American 200S wheels on it.  (!!)

Put the 3/8 engine and all in a rusted out '56 2 door sedan and raced it for a while.  Guy down the street bought a new 429 Boss Mustang and I beat him like a drum.  I had already beat him with the '55 but the '56 looked like a junkyard reject and he thought he could run away from it.  Nope. 

He always had an excuse, that time it was:  "I missed a gear". 

I said:  "I can't drive 'em both."   :prop:

I broke a rod in the 3/8 motor and sold it to a friend in Atlanta to fix and put in his drag racer Corvette.  He won a lot of races with it.

Now he has a small block engine in a motorcycle and does exhibition runs...smokes the tire for 1/8 or 1/4 mile depending on the track.  Iirc it is 3 runs for $300.  One tire is good for four or five 1/4 mile trips.

Q...Why a Chev powered MC?

A...We used to see 'The Michigan Mad Man' at the local drag strip and got to know him.  He traveled around making exhibition runs and we got to see him 4 or 5 times.

1...He pushed the MC to the start line and put the MC on a stand that folded down and lifted the back wheel off the ground. 

2...He started the engine with a battery on a roll-around stand. 

3...He got on, revved it up, watched the tree countdown, rolled it off the stand, and awaaay he went.

Our job was to hang around the starting line and make sure he got turned around at the end of the strip and rode back.  He traveled by himself and we were drafted to help if he stalled at the end of the strip (no clutch).  He always turned it around and rode back without killing the engine.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/05/22/ej-potter-the-michigan-madman

Last time we heard from him was a few years ago when my wife talked to him on the phone.

RIP 4-30-2012

Image result for ej potter the michigan madman

Since we now know how much a dial may be worth, here is what a set of hands and bez insert might go for:

1) New Old Stock GMT 1675 ALL RED set of hands with a crazy patina .
€ 4500,- ( sold extra forum )
 2) Early 70 AWESOME  GMT 1675 Super FF Insert . A really time capsule .
€ 3950
Add shipping cost

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vintagerolexforum/fs-some-rolex-vintage-parts-t254468.html