When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2019 Noob Rolex Pepsi

PatekPiguet

• 4 weeks later...

Well, there are a couple of great threads on RWI regarding this piece and the movement.    Consensus is the the cosmetics  of this Noob release is as good or better than anything before.    As to the movement, there is a great sticky thread with detailed instructions on how to set the time/date, without damaging the movement.

2 hours ago, pcardoza said:

Well, there are a couple of great threads on RWI regarding this piece and the movement.    Consensus is the the cosmetics  of this Noob release is as good or better than anything before.    As to the movement, there is a great sticky thread with detailed instructions on how to set the time/date, without damaging the movement.

I have research it, but have not seen, have you the link ?

Well, I received mine yesterday.   Cosmetically it looks terrific.    I set the time/date per the instructions found on RWI and everything looked great until this morning.

When I woke up the hour hand was stuck @ 10pm.    🤬

I re-set it and it's running fine for the moment.   Let's see if I get a repeat problem tonight.    I'm assuming it's something getting hung up when the date starts to change?

Pretty damned disappointing for such an overpriced piece.......... 

• Sad 1

Time will tell if this movement holds up. It may be OK if you stick to the directions, or it may be a “time bomb” like a few others.
Being a noob, I wonder if a modified yuki 3135 would work? Only problem with this one is it’s so expensive (668.00) plus the cost of the modified movement results in a really expensive rep with no gen parts such as dial, bezel/insert, crystal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FYI, my movement imploded despite following instructions.  In order to change the date you have to spin the jumping hour hand.  I let mine run-down for about a week so I had to advance 5 date changes.  I got to the right date, then proceeded to set the time. Bam! Hour hand is no longer tracking/setting normally. 

I am sending it back to the factory with the help of Andrew.  Fingers crossed it makes it back and forth.  At $700+ after shipping this is a downer and hell of a gamble.

Going forward, my advice with this movement is as follows:

1.  Just set it, and leave it on a winder if you can.

2.  If the date is more than day a two off, maybe let it sit for a month, and put a reminder on your calendar to put into your wearing rotation at that time.  (I actually do this with my GEN Non-Quick-Set Rolex 1575's, if the date is significantly off my more than a week, I just set a reminder and wait a month) 

3.  Avoid using the jumping hours, and for changing the date within a couple of days, just go old school, non-quick-set, and slowly/gently spin ALL hands until you get to the correct date/time.

For those who have been here long enough, remember when Ziggy did an expose on the CHS movement?  Same basic issues.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried searching the forum for Ziggy CHS, Zigmeister, etc... He did the original analysis, and these 3135 clones are basically the same, ETA mods.   IIRC, is is a major kludge to what would have been a "DAY"/DATE mechanism.  Those gears are simply not meant for the stress.  They were meant for the "slow" process that is a date change via the date change CAM, and not the modification to the movement.

Mods:  Anyone know where/how to pull up Rob's old posts?  I don't see him as searchable in the member list either. 😞