When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this a MBW Rolex

mansun

Offhand, I'd think not. Bezel insert is aftermarket with a bad pearl, dial looks bad, bracelet is ok but end pieces are incorrect- should be 580s or 585s.

Pull the bracelet off and look at the SN- MBWs should be like 5,79x,xxx but a DRSD would have an earlier SN.

I would think it's a cartel model.

You need to check the HE valve- the old cartel watches had a working HE valve- it was an accurate copy of the original valve. Open the case and remove the movement and dial and take a look. You might be able to see the valve w/o removing the movement, but it seems like there's a spacer ring in there also that might obstruct the view of the valve. The cartel watches weren't that bad- with a better dial and bezel insert it would be an ok watch.

Don't feel too bad.  There's nothing magical about an MBW other than the fact gen parts fit.  You can make gen parts fit a Cartel watch too.  And that dial is IMHO better than the one that came on the MBW DRSDs.  I like its bezel better too.

You've got a great starting point.  You're surrounded by enthusiastic modders ... what's not to love?

• Like 1