When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Q: What is the difference...

automatico

...between an MBK 55xx/1680 watch with a genuine rlx 15xx movement and one with a fresh 21600 bph swiss ETA?

A:  In my experience, not much at all except the $$.

Imho the MBK 'submariner' cases are fine for ETA projects but not for rlx 15xx projects mainly because of the ratty laser engraving and the fact that they all are 1680 spec inside and 55xx spec for dials.

I have been wearing an MBK '5512' for a month or two with a nos ETA 2879 after wearing the same watch on and off for a couple years with a rlx 1570 in it.  The only two differences that I have noticed are that it needs setting about once a week instead of every two weeks (or when about one minute off) and the ETA does not recover full reserve as quickly as the rlx 15xx during daily wear.

That's it.

For an knock around everyday watch, the MBK/ETA combo is hard to beat.  I've tried quite a few combinations with rlx 15xx movements including a '1016' using a 16220 case going back to mid 1997 and none of them were noticeably better than watches with ETA movements.

That being said, I would be Ok with using a rlx 15xx with a high grade case/dial/bracelet combo...except for spending the extra $$ of course.

What this all boils down to is it seems to me that using an ETA movement in an MBK or modified cartel case is a better alternative for an everyday watch than an MBK or similar priced case with a rlx 15xx movement.

Imho, use the rlx 15xx movements with the best cases/dials.