When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

18238 Build

RH1

Been researching but have seen a few conflicting answers. I would like to go as gen as possible, however, I know the movement will be a limitation. 

With a Swiss 2834 and a gen dial, am I able to use a gen date and day wheel along with hands? It seems like most builds are using aftermarket. Besides that the gen crown seems hard to source but the crystal is pretty easy to come across. Bracelet I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for color matching to a white gold case?

You can use a gen dial with a 2834 movement but you can't use gen day and date wheels- you have to use overlays. You'll also have to use hands that fit the 2834- i.e. "Tudor" hands- 150/90/25. Gen hands could possibly be broached to fit but it's not worth it. I don't know about finding a gen crown, but I would think it would run $200-300 used maybe and then it's got to fit on the rep tube. Rafflesdials.com used to sell a gold plated 18238 case and mymanmatt can put something like this together for you.

The 18239 is essentially the same only the case is SS, but no one will be able to tell the difference except for the weight of the case and bracelet- it will be lighter than a white gold case and bracelet.

https://rwg.cc/topic/194776-sold-rolex-classic-wg-daydate-18239/

He's currently working on mine!  I bought this one here from Rolojack recently.

It's stunning on the wrist, the color treatment makes it absolutely perfect.

Matt is doing the following:

- Gen Swiss ETA movement 2834-2
- Gen white gold bezel
- Gen Crown and Tube

- Gen Sapphire

Then i'm going to weigh it, and have a friend machine an ingot of lead or something that'll make it weigh-in correctly. 

Or get spring-bars made from unobtanium or something haha

:) Cheers!! 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 8:36 PM, 508-Fanatic said:

- Gen white gold bezel
- Gen Crown and Tube

- Gen Sapphire

Then i'm going to weigh it, and have a friend machine an ingot of lead or something that'll make it weigh-in correctly. 

any advice on crown and sapphire? Is Matt sourcing them for you? I was able to get them sourced new from factory but $300+ for each. 

Matt is sourcing it all - there's a great write-up on the crowns here:

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/rolex-tudor-replicas/319855-do-you-know-your-6mm-rolex-crowns

6 hours ago, RH1 said:

any advice on crown and sapphire? Is Matt sourcing them for you? I was able to get them sourced new from factory but $300+ for each. 

I have always wanted to understand why people obsess over the weight.  I like a lighter watch and have debated with myself whether it would be worth my time to build an aluminum case.  If somebody could enlighten me I would appreciate it!

10 hours ago, jmb said:

I have always wanted to understand why people obsess over the weight.  I like a lighter watch and have debated with myself whether it would be worth my time to build an aluminum case.  If somebody could enlighten me I would appreciate it!

I think it's just part of getting the details down, you know? Like when everyone freaks out about how a 4 or 5 looks on a vintage sub bezel, fat 5 long 4 whatever... same thing with a "precious metal" rep. For someone really exacting on the details having some heft to it adds to the feel of authenticity in a franken/genenstein build.  :)

On 9/27/2019 at 3:36 AM, 508-Fanatic said:

- Gen white gold bezel
- Gen Crown and Tube

- Gen Sapphire

Daaaamn take my Money 😮

- Gen white gold bezel
- Gen Crown and Tube

- Gen Sapphire

I was so sad to miss on that watch. I was able to get one of RoloJacks cases. The bracelet that came with it, was it color matched as well or is it just stainless steel? I'm trying to figure out what direction to go for the bracelet. 

4 hours ago, RH1 said:

I was so sad to miss on that watch. I was able to get one of RoloJacks cases. The bracelet that came with it, was it color matched as well or is it just stainless steel? I'm trying to figure out what direction to go for the bracelet. 

The bracelet matches. I was able to snag a gen two dot crown with good threads and a gen bezel on the bay.