When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any Feedback on WSO Two-Tone Jubilee???

bobandshawn

Thanks, I know there's been a lot of talk lately about microns and coating differences. Just wondering if there's a big difference between $60/$100/$200 before jumping to $600 for a 14k gold rep.

Here is that link https://www.ebay.com/itm/20MM-14K-GOLD-TWO-TONE-JUBILEE-WATCH-BAND-FOR-ROLEX-DATEJUST-16233-16013-16014/171802160552

Bob

I'm not a fan of WSO for anything other than end links. I would contact riyi002 and ask him about his available options (he doesn't post everything).

And when you order, just ask him for the "branded" band and your will get the Rolex version. If you search his name here (or on other forums) you will get plenty of info on his stuff.

Here is a little info on tutone and goldtone watches/bracelets:

1...Gold plating may be 'flash gold plating' that will last for a few weeks (or days) up to 20 micron (or more) plating that will last for years.  Items with 10, 20 or more microns of plating may be marked somewhere.  Many vintage watches were marked between the lugs on the case.  Many 'goldtone items today are PVD plated with no gold at all...the average modern Citizen watch for example.

A micron is one thousandth of a millimeter.

2...'Gold filled' is a thin layer of gold applied to the base metal (SS, brass etc) under heat and pressure, some with solder applied between the two.  The thickness or amount of gold  is often stated in a roundabout manner such as 1/20 and that means the part is one twentieth (5%) gold by weight.  The more the part is worn, the less the gold content.

3...'Gold capped' basically means heavy gold fill.  It can be as thick as 40 to 80 microns, sometimes more. 

4...'Solid gold' is 'solid' gold although many items are a lower karat weight than specified.  This is not legal but it is more or less common in many off brand items.  There is a lot of it on the internet no doubt.

Most jewelry/watch pieces are 18k or 14k gold and there is still a lot of 10k gold items in the USA.

The USA requires 'solid gold' to be at least 10k and Hallmarked.  Anything lower than 8k is considered scrap gold although I have seen some 8k center links in tutone watch bracelets.

The UK accepts 9k as their lower standard.

5...'Gold wrapped' should be the same as gold filled but it is usually just gold plating, especially on replicas.  'Gold wrapped' sounds better and a few years ago there was quite a bit of it around but not now with $1500 troz gold.

6...Most of the 'Italian Made' gold and tutone items are very high quality...if that is what it really is.  ST sells it as do many other reputable supply houses etc but it is expensive. 

7...If a 'solid gold' item is priced 25% or more below scrap value from a knowledgeable seller...it may not be what it is supposed to be.  Otoh, sometimes the item was purchased when gold was $500 or $1000 troz and the seller just wants to sell it and make a little bit of $$.

Heavy gold plated bracelets can be a LOT less $$ but the plating may be thin.  Heavy PVD may be less $$ than actual gold plating if you can find it.

I took a worn out 13 link SS/18k oyster bracelet apart a few years ago but I can not find the note that stated the gold weight in grams.  Assuming it was 15 grams the gold would be worth $542 USD today ($1500 troz gold) and an honest gold buyer would pay about $500 for it.  Fifteen grams of 14k gold is $422 USD today.

So...a new high quality tutone jubilee style bracelet with 14k 'solid gold' center links will be very hard to find today for $399. 

$699 maybe...    :pimp: