When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintages from thevintagepower

lillo

I ahve seen a sub - site of TS named thevintagepower

The watches, as Sub red or DRSD in phoro appears nice, but the watch in photo is frequently not similat that in youe hands

Have you experience of these reps ? Has a guy buyed it ? Impressions ?

No experience with them at all but keep in mind almost all of the mid grade replicas sold as complete watches on the internet come from the same 'holes in the ground' in China. 

Higher grade replica components needed to assemble a 'close to genuine' watch (cases, dials, bracelets) may come from China, VN Thailand etc and they will be much closer to genuine in appearance but also much more expensive. 

The average unmodified cartel vintage type 5512/13/1680/GMT etc sells for about $180 to $250 USD.

The average lightly detailed cartel replica will cost around $300 to $1000 to put together depending on who does it and the parts used...lug hole drilling, aging bezel/dial, or buying better dial etc. 

The average high grade replica with a fresh swiss ETA may run from $1500 to $2500 or more.  This basically eliminates  thevintagepower watches from being 'one off' high grade creations.

My guess is these watches are basic China cartel type watches with 'aged' lume on the dials/hands. 

Notice the 'GMT' has the same submariner type crown guards as used on basic cartel GMTs and I can not tell if the lug holes have been bored out for oem spring bars or not...a 'gotta have it' modification.  It looks like the printing/lume on the dial is the main difference along with the hands.  Imho the explorer dial and hands are overcooked.

Here are examples of what you can get on a basic cartel submariner/GMT from a trusted dealer (except for the deep fried dial and hands):

http://www.trustytime01.cc/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_11

Maybe someone who knows about the thevintagepower watches will chime in.

Thanks

I have some doubt about the writing on the dial. In the pohotos of gen vintage the writing in the dial as Rolex Oyster ecc...ecc... are compact, not ruined consumed

In these Vintagepower these writings seem muddled, written by a hand that trembles Will it be a photo effect?

And then I've never seen a 6200 or 6538 gen whit gold ring, but does it exist?

The vintage power reps aren't that good- you can tell by looking at the pictures- the dials are overcooked, the lume is receding, the dial print isn't very good and some of the bezel inserts are faded to brown which is very very rare. Like auto says, you'd be better off getting a cartel rep and making a few mods and aging it- it would be much more convincing- especially if your wear it for a few years and beat it up that way- naturally.

11 hours ago, alligoat said:

The vintage power reps aren't that good- you can tell by looking at the pictures- the dials are overcooked, the lume is receding, the dial print isn't very good and some of the bezel inserts are faded to brown which is very very rare. Like auto says, you'd be better off getting a cartel rep and making a few mods and aging it- it would be much more convincing- especially if your wear it for a few years and beat it up that way- naturally.

Could these vintagepower watches be used as basic watch for modding , whit Viet or Thai dials, inserts ecc.….?

The vintagepower cases, crown ecc... seem to me better than those on the bad cartel vintages. What do you think about it ?

5 hours ago, lillo said:

Could these vintagepower watches be used as basic watch for modding , whit Viet or Thai dials, inserts ecc.….?

The vintagepower cases, crown ecc... seem to me better than those on the bad cartel vintages. What do you think about it ?

When you get time to have a search on the forum, there are a lot of Vintage sub builds at varying degrees of investment. If your considering this level of investment then a simple start list for you would be -

Cartel vintage submariner(5513 or 1680) these are actually very good bases. Modded to enlarge the lug holes 

replace movement for a eta 2846 or other slow beat movement. 

Perhaps a nice Gen insert or fade the cartel one. This can be done very well. Also have a look for Big Daz as he sells faded aftermarket ones including the plastic pips

Sternkreuz plexi that fits the cartel case.

Yuki dial and hands, might want to have them re lumed again Big Daz is worth contacting.

You have to remember that most vintage Rolex have had different lives, usage etc so they will all vary a bit in terms of ageing. That's the advantage with them!

Having build a few of these, my advise would be try and find a nicely one already done on the sales forum, trust me its worth it.

Good luck

DH

"Cartel vintage submariner (5513 or 1680) these are actually very good bases.  Modded to enlarge the lug holes, replace movement for a eta 2846 or other slow beat movement."

Good advice.   :thumbs:

I put one together and the only thing that bothered me about it is the lug holes were a hair too high in the lugs after drilling them out to 1.3mm.  It is not that bad and the holes are still out of the bevels so it's really Ok.  Other than that it turned out just fine.