When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

16610 R series 1988 build

dutchguy2

Hi every one.

I am in the proces building a 16610 R series from arround 1988.

First why this series, because of Tritium on dial and hands for that nice ivory vintage look. Second, I love drilled lugholes. Third, availability of SH/Yuki 3135 which can be modded with gen parts. And last but not least the availability of gen and aftermarket parts.

So, what do I want to use and here you come in to play, every comment or suggestion is highly appriciated.

- latest ST 16610 case or JF 16610 no rehaut. I have both incoming and would like to know which will be best.

- SH/Yuki 3135 with all neccesary gen parts, I opted for the Hologramet package in the for sales part.

- Gen bezel, retaining ring and inser with Tritium pearl. I have this all incoming but the insert has a pointy 4.

- Gen crystal, no LEC no A/R, incoming

- Gen crown and tube, incoming

- Gen dial and hands, Tritium, still looking for

- Gen date wheel 16200, incoming. But should I not get one whith open 6 and 9? What part number does it have?

- First JF clasp and bracelet, later a change with Gen parts (but wich?)

So, what do you think?

Edited by dutchguy2
  • Like 1

Hi Dutch

I'm in the process of putting together a 16800 matte dial submariner, which would date it too 1980- 84. I have done numerous 4 digit builds but wanted the reliability of the saphire glass and click functioning bezel. While still having that matte dial vintage feel.

I used the JF16610 as a base, Ado123 kindly drilled the case for me

SH3135 serviced with Gen date disc, and complete Gen auto wind module

Mq 16800 matte dial on Gen Beyeler plate

gen tube and crown

Gen tritium insert

Franken 93150

WSO 580 endlinks

Hopefully complete by next week

I wish i had gone with the Startime case, because Ado had to follow the internal holes on the JF case and they are always a bit off (you maybe a bit luckier)  In other words when you look at the side profile one hole is always a bit higher than the other. Only issue with the startime case is that there is no champher on the case edges.

• Like 1

Thanks Denimhead. Please let us enjoy your finished 16800 when it is ready.

So, if I understand correct the ST case may be the better choise if I manage to get campher on the case edges?

I was thinking of doing a 16800 myself but none of the available cases do have the shorter 3035 movement rehauts. Thats why I went for the 16610.

Any suggestion on who can work my case in the EU?

13 hours ago, dutchguy2 said:

Thanks Denimhead. Please let us enjoy your finished 16800 when it is ready.

So, if I understand correct the ST case may be the better choise if I manage to get campher on the case edges?

I was thinking of doing a 16800 myself but none of the available cases do have the shorter 3035 movement rehauts. Thats why I went for the 16610.

Any suggestion on who can work my case in the EU?

Morning Dutch,

The ST case takes the SH movement no problem, not sure about the rehaut depth on it though, as its a 16610 replacement. Yes you'd have to add chamfers.

The JF 16610LN(not the LV) has a shorter rehaut, thats why i used it for my 16800 build.

In terms of putting it all together then I'd suggest you contact Ado(Adrian) directly, he has his own modding section on here. He's based here in the UK. He is also known very well over on rwi. for his lug holes16600 builds. He can do verything down to serving the movement, build it. Case work etc 

The bloke in my eyes is a bloody genius

Hope that helps 

The new ST case will work with the clone 3135 but like you guys said, the rehaut is deeper. If you find an older ST case for the 3035, it will have the shallower rehaut but the 3135 stem won’t line up. A good case if you can find one is the old “Noobmariner” 16610 as they have a nice shallow rehaut. For my 16800 I used a JF v1 and shaved off the rehaut engraving and it’s a bit shallow like you want and still takes the 3135. You need to upgrade the bezel assembly though becasuse it’s junk. I don’t have an old noobmariner anymore but from what I remember it would be perfect for a 16800.  

Thanks guys.

I am making good progress.

Case is there and will most likely go to France for some spa.

As soon I paid off the movement with parts it will go to Domi.

Still looking for a flat 4 insert with tritium pearl. Maybe some one will trade one for a nice pointy 4 insert with tritium pearl?

I have a bunch of gen crowns and crystals to choose from. 

Gen bezel, retaining ring and tube are there.

Tritium dial and hands are free availabe on that action site but for a premium price. Still looking for cheaper stuff.

It is very slow on response here! How come?

Anyhow. 

Hand set is ordered.

Dial is ordered.

Both Tritium.

Click sping ordered.

Complete seal set is on its way.

Movement is payed off and as soon I get it will go to Domi.

That means all parts are here and the assembly can start as soon the movement is finished.

Can't wait to see the end result mate, cousins UK sell a gen spec click spring. Not sure on the endlinks. One thing to remember if your using the JF case. The drilled holes have to follow the inside holes as a guide, so you may have to slightly alter any endlink to fit the case. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Did anyone advise on your click spring?  If not I think you should go with the gen. The aftermarket click springs seem to loose tension. The material the gen is made from is stronger than the aftermarket. At least that's what I think. I've done a couple this year and after a couple of months, the bezels with the aftermarket have lost their snap when rotating.  The gen continues to work properly. 

Roger, will search for a gen one.

Thanks for the feedback.

The 593 endlinks fit the ST case perfect.

Decided to do the camfer on the ST case myself. They don't need to be that big for a 16610. And I want to give the case a worn but well cared for look. So a polish can be assumed making the camfer more like a bevel.

Any thoughts on this?

10 minutes ago, hologramet said:

Need a tritium insert?

bc46181bffcc32a51252e6b289017fcd.plist0f8254bbc7e23771bedf4c72f5ba2798.plist

Good luck with the build... it all looks quite impression.

P.S.

NOS 93150 with NOs 501B endlinks for about 200€. Basically free...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153595587794

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Wow, are they GEN? I can't see the pics correct!