When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA cutting off movements to non Swatch Group brands...

automatico

ETA is cutting off movements to non Swatch Group brands at the end of December 2019. 
Non Swatch Group brands = any brand not made under the Swatch umbrella. 
Do not know about parts.
Time will tell.

Do I care?
Not much. 

Swiss/USA movement:

https://www.hoursandminutes.co/atelier-launches-the-caliber-1-movement/

This has been the situation  in my part of the world for over a couple of years!!  You could still buy complete movements at the cost of possibly a complete new watch, but parts have been unavailable for longer than a couple of years already!!! 

This was consistent with when Rolex Tudor introduced their new in-house mechanism which I kept wondering how they were going to deal with the situation.  As we all know Tudor housed eta mechanisms in all their lines until their recent new movement. 

Makes sense as Rolex/Tudor is not part of the Swatch umbrella!!!!!  

I also do not care much as it has totally destroyed my hobby to the point I am just a lurker and occasionally take on a limited time only special, as with when McDonalds do with their two for one deals which my cardiologist has pre-warmed me not to fall for!!!

:nono:

"I also do not care much as it has totally destroyed my hobby to the point I am just a lurker and occasionally take on a limited time only special..."

Me too.  RWC cutting off parts is what brought me to the replica hobby/obsession.  

Learning to work on mechanical watches turned out to be a waste of time because of the parts problem. 

Was that a pun?  :animal_rooster:

My first 'good' watch was a 214 Accutron and now I mostly wear an Accutron II. 

They have done this a couple of times over the past 15 years. A few years ago, I called the factory to see If I could buy movements and parts direct from them. Of course the answer was, NO!  She was somewhat helpful though because she gave me the phone number of a distributor close by.  I called and was quoted $275 each and needed to buy 100 movements. That did not work out.  lol   In the mid 80's there was a supply house in dallas that sold swiss eta movements. The 2836-2 and 2834-2 were $27.50 each. If I bought 3 or more they cost $25 each. The 2824-2 was $22.  My how times change.

The only bright spot to this is since Swatch announced this several years ago, other manufacturers such as Sellita have somewhat filled the need. I’m seeing lots of small boutique watches in the 500-1500 dollar range with Seiko movements, so lack f ETA’s isn’t slowing them down at all.Remember economics abhors a vacuum. ETA has created this vacuum and others will fill it. The biggest problem as I see it will be the lack of parts rather than movements. It may end up forcing folks to replace a movement because parts aren’t available, however this is probably pretty far down the road.
Matt, you have a good point, my how times have changed! If I had a crystal ball back in the 70’s, my safe would be stuffed with DRSD’s, Daytona’s and 1680 Red subs. All of which could be purchased at less than 500.00 each back then. Alas,I didn’t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"The biggest problem as I see it will be the lack of parts rather than movements."

Yes, just like rlx has done along with many other greedy swiss watch/movement companies.

Well guess what?

I stopped buying their swissjunk when they stopped selling parts.

Anyone wants to know how many rlx watches I bought before I stopped...send a PM and I'll tell them.

Now my best rlx has an ETA 2879 and my rlx beater has a Seagull ST16. 

Having second thoughts about the 2879 now...Image result for A Big hammer

On 15 October 2019 at 10:07 AM, automatico said:

Learning to work on mechanical watches turned out to be a waste of time because of the parts problem. 

Not true!!  No acquisition of skills & knowledge is ever a waste of time!  To have and not to use is better than "not to have and not use"!

Rolex cut their parts supply to independents and the small guy many years ago, but that has not stopped these skilled people from servicing or repairing a rolex watch.  Some parts can still be turned on a lathe and although not all parts can be made, that is still light years ahead of a layman like me that is still learning or worse still those that have no idea on how to even change a watch battery!

you can use this same reasoning with eta and as Panerai153  has stated, others will fit this void with other generics, so it is not the end of he road!  It is not the best solution but better than having no loop to fall through at all! True we did not need this blow on the head, but it is still not a lost war!  Keep your chin up as you are a great asset to the watch world and especially to our forum!

"Keep your chin up as you are a great asset to the watch world and especially to our forum!"

Thanks!

It's the principle of it all...I just can not abide by the swiss watch companies cutting off parts.  They are guests in the USA, they are not native to the country, and their first claim to fame was making fake American style pocket watches that they cranked out by the thousands without shame.  Besides all that, they are horrible to deal with. 

If I was King of the Watch World I would put wheels under them and send them packing.  Otoh there is probably no need for that because my guess is the last two generations will just about finish them off anyway because they are not interested in watches much at all...Apple watches maybe but not high $$ swiss watches needing $700 tune ups every few years.

I read on various forums how much rwc 'authorized service' is costing now and it is pretty bad.  First they charge $8k or $10k for a $3k watch and then they stick the sword in and twist it when service is due because they have cut off the parts necessary to repair the watches.  Imho cutting off parts is far worse than their retail prices because buyers can buy something else if they do not like the price, but when you own a high $$ rlx and it needs service and parts you are basically forced to send it to them now unless an independent can/will do it...and there are less of them every year.  Our town has one left.

I know many watch mechanics have a stash of parts but sooner or later they will run out.  One hope is the aftermarket and they can make anything that is not signed or under patent.  There are already lots of parts available but reversers, MS barrels, most date works etc are not yet available.  I did see where MS arbors, lower center wheel bushings, set bridges etc for 15xx movements have become available though.

"Not true!!  No acquisition of skills & knowledge is ever a waste of time!"

You are right of course. 

I still work on watches, just not many rlx.  I'll fix one now and then and sell it but I mostly work on vintage Bulova, Zodiac, Benrus, Elgin, Hamilton etc. 

But not today...today I put a crystal in a quartz Bulova and looked at a quartz Adidas (!) that will not run.  I saved a quartz pocket watch for tomorrow with an ISA 1198 that needs cleaning...or I may rake leaves.  Earlier in the week I worked on a DG Miyota clone with most of the guts under one plate.  You put it together by moving the pivots around about 10 times to get them lined up.  I'll always wonder how they do it on a production line. 

It's really not too bad when the pallet fork and balance are removed but I usually try a few times with them in place after resetting the 'keyless works'.

Automatico, I don't think you should have second thoughts about your 2879. I have a couple in stock and have used a lot of them over the years.  I agree it's a very old movement, but the ones I have and the ones I've used seem to be very reliable. I have some that have been out for years and are still running great. But like you, I scratch my head and say , " how can that be".  The movement world is, and always has been craaaazy!   My guess would be that withholding movements is the beginning of another price increase. I'm sure in a few months they will become available for considerably more money.

"Automatico, I don't think you should have second thoughts about your 2879."

The hammer gesture was meant for ETA in general because if they cut parts off, the older movements will starve to death too taking a lot of vintage watches out of circulation.  One thing in favor of older ETA movements is there are a lot of them floating around in $35 watches so in reality they should be Ok. 

The 2879 was nos and I c/o it because the oil had gummed up.  It is running within 7 or 8 seconds a day now and that's fine with me.  What I have trouble believing is how good my beater '5513' is running with a Seagull ST16 in it.  I set it two days ago and as of now it is about 5 or 6 seconds fast.  It was new and I c/o it and removed the date and autowind works and wind it 28 to 30 turns every morning.  Besides this one being accurate, 'A21' movements in general are rugged and I like the ST16 better than the regular A21 models with the reverser buried under the plate.  The ST16 has a 'magic lever' type winding setup. 

The ST16 is also the base for the 'famous' swiss Claro Semag CL-888...

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/claro-semag-cl-888-versus-sea-gull-st16-tear-down-312588.html

• 1 year later...

Currently repairing a ETA 2824-2 with extensive 'drop' damage. Parts required for repair, Hour Wheel, Centre Seconds Pinion, Mainplate Centre Post & Escape Wheel.

All purchased from my supplier with no drama.

As you were...

Edited by ceejay