When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Replica advice

Guest Bjd1020

Guest Bjd1020

Ive looked at TD here and am having a hard time making a choice on a GMT Rolex. Lol.....the all look the same. Any advice would be helpful....i def want the red/blue dial. Prices and factories vary and there is a ton to pick from. Please help me zero in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've found out the hard way it's best to go ahead and get what you REALLY want, instead of something "good enough".  We all do that, and buy something that's pretty good, but then we buy the next best one, then the next, until we finally buy that one piece that we really wanted at the beginning.  We wind up spending a lot more than if we'd just gotten The One right at the beginning.  Problem is, what is "The One"?

GMTs are notorious for bad crown guards, bad hand stacks, cobbled together movements that really aren't supposed to have a 24h function, and on and on.  That's the reason RWG is here... to share information about watches.  So my advice is to read, read again and read some more.  Look at posts by our inimitable @By-Tor ... the man has forgotten more about GMTs than the rest of us have ever learned.  Over the last 10+ years he's gone into excruciating detail over what's good and what isn't on the GMT offerings.  See what he has to say and learn what to look for.

Armed with that knowledge (no more guessing now) look at what the TDs offer and pick the best one you can find.  Seriously, stretch yourself and go for the BEST.  Don't wuss out.

Then when it arrives it will be more than you hoped for, not less.  If it needs a service (likely) send it to MyManMatt or Misiekped and be gracious.  They are artists and deserve our patience and respect.  Then when you get it back wear it for a month, take lots of pictures, then start a pictorial topic and show us your pride and joy.  Tell us the story and we'll celebrate with you.

Welcome aboard!  :tu:

• Like 2

Guest Bjd1020

I feel like the answer was all code. Lol. I am grateful. Im looking for a replica. You know a knock off. But there are so many and so many fkdifferent factories......im looking to find out who makes the best one.

"Who makes the best BLRO" (blue/red) GMT will always be a subject of debate, so you won't get a single definite answer. That's why Nanuq went to the trouble of recommending that you read and learn, and pointed you to sources to learn from. 

Guest Bjd1020

I am reading through every post on this forum as we speak. One other question is how do I know I am going to get what I pick.....they look so much alike. At the end of the day if I drop 500 on a watch I do want it to function. Ive read that Trusty is the way to go but his email responses to me have been sort if shotty....dodging my questions etc etc.

1 minute ago, Bjd1020 said:

One other question is how do I know I am going to get what I pick.....they look so much alike. At the end of the day if I drop 500 on a watch I do want it to function. Ive read that Trusty is the way to go but his email responses to me have been sort if shotty....dodging my questions etc etc.

TDs have been doing this for years and they're TDs because they can be relied on to sell you what you asked for. But they're not there as advisors and English isn't their first language so at times they can sound unhelpful or rude.

They really need you to tell them exactly what you want and pay for it, and then they go and get it for you.

I've used Andrew (Trusty) for three orders and have been happy with the outcome every time. I've also used a number of other TDs, and apart from different shipping costs they've all been very similar to deal with.

Guest Bjd1020

Ok ok. Looks like I just peeled back another layer if the onion.......geez 10k posts. It appears I have a ton of reading to do. Tha ks fir taking the time to respond.

TDs have been doing this for years and they're TDs because they can be relied on to sell you what you asked for. But they're not there as advisors and English isn't their first language so at times they can sound unhelpful or rude.

They really need you to tell them exactly what you want and pay for it, and then they go and get it for you.

I've used Andrew (Trusty) for three orders and have been happy with the outcome every time. I've also used a number of other TDs, and apart from different shipping costs they've all been very similar to deal with.
Rog....i get it. Makes sense. Thank you.

No problem, and happy hunting. Something that you will find about this hobby is there are no shortcuts to working things out and there are very few "one size fits all" answers. Everyone has the same sort of journey, where spending time doing research pays off in the end. 

• Like 1

Guest Bjd1020

Roger that......crazy I had no idea it went this deep. I spent the last 20 years as an engineer reverse engineering airplane parts for the USCG......including the development of tech drawings, solid models, CNC programs, and first article. We very rarely nailed it in the first go. But we always eventually did. So I do know a bit about the iterative process etc etc. I also rebuild/restore 7750s. So im a little more inclined to see things most would overlook. I just want to make sure im getting what im reading and seeing in an ad. Again I had no idea the rabbit hole went this deep.

As to the rabbit hole: we can still see your tail. Dig deeper and in a week or two when you feel comfortable order from a TD. Patience is always the key to this hobby.