When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM960 is out and ordered

StormTooper4

• 2 weeks later...

It is an excellent choice and visually a super rep. But the movement used in this is wrong, the P.9010 clone (used in the 47mm subs) instead of the OPXXXIV (quick date set). They should have used the 7750 movement in here lol, the function would have been identical.

Firstly a big thanks to Trusty time for a speedy delivery.  Just over a week to sunny Australia so top notch service.

hkBSjuH.jpg

First impressions are very positive. its a quality item feels very well made. The strap is soft and comfortable and that dial really pops with that unique blue.

But I found the case material to be a surprise I was expecting the plastic feel of Carbon fiber similar to my old AP Carbon Diver. The material is much more ceramicic like. Similar in feel and sound to an old  IWC TopGun  a had a while back

I haven't held a genuine so I cannot know if this is how they feel.  Do any of the RWG community have any other Carbotech models that they can share their thoughts on the material composition.

The case is also the first Panerai I have seen with Spring bars - This is sacrilege IMHO and i wasnt expecting that . I 

Movement. Well at first I thought it was buggered and didn't work properly. As mentioned by Legend it is not a OPXXXIV.  When you pull the crown to what would normally be the date position all that happens is that it moves the Hour hand and the date changes at the top of the hour . You can go forwards or backwards with the date change . Its a bit of a rubbish design but I asked trusty and he said it works  like the genuine  P.9010 

Do have a look at this video of a 1616 with a P.9010 to get an idea of how this bizarre movement works 

Overall I am really impressed worn it to the gym and shower and no issues.

Though I think  most people think its a G- shock rather than a $15k watch 

Cheers

ST4

• Like 1

21 hours ago, swdivad said:

Nice watch mate!

How do you feel about the build quality (bezel/crown lever tightness, line-up of features, etc), and does the jumping hour work as in the video?

The bezel seems solid enough I guess time will tell. The sound is similar to the gen in the video.

The movement works like the gen in the video . I’ve not had an opportunity to get the back off and have a sticky beak at the movement.  TBH I’m not too impressed by that function though and I think I’d prefer a normal date change.  

The lever is pretty solid with a decent snap. But doesn’t inspire the Complete confidence that a metal one does. 

55 minutes ago, swdivad said:

Sounds good, but can't you change the date independently? 

Not that I have worked out yet . When you pull the crown into a typical date change position it just moves the hour hand. The good thing is you can move the date backawards and forwards but you still have to rotate it through 24 hours 

I have handled the gen at a Panerai TD in Bond Street and can tell that this is a stunning rep and compares directly with the gen in all visual ways, actually coming out on top of the blackness of the carbotech finish. Put a Swiss movement in her if desired and you've got a hell of a watch for less than 5% of the gen!

Carbotech1.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So, I just received mine last week. I will say that it’s pretty damn nice. I’ve tried on the real 47mm in Las Vegas. This is of course a rep and all that and it has its shortcomings, but overall it’s quite stunning. It’s very cool.

My movement is a bit loud and the lume is surprisingly weak, but hey...it’s a rep. I’ll eventually send mine for mvmt service and re-Lume. At that point I’ll have less than $500 into it. I couldn’t ever see spending $17k on the real deal. But hey, to each his own! 6f9681755194e4976a35e2879749d17e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 11:34 AM, astonjenks said:

I have handled the gen at a Panerai TD in Bond Street and can tell that this is a stunning rep and compares directly with the gen in all visual ways, actually coming out on top of the blackness of the carbotech finish. Put a Swiss movement in her if desired and you've got a hell of a watch for less than 5% of the gen!

Carbotech1.jpg

How you install a Swiss movement  ?

I Think that is no possible,  becouse the hole of hands and dial are different of P9010.

I would like that this watch like other sub of Pam comes with 7750 is more reliable movement. 

• 1 month later...

Ordered one too... Couldn't resist.. (Also threw in a 984 & 441).

Also ordered 2 custom canvas straps for 984 & 960 from Matt @ https://handmade99.wordpress.com/ The 960 one is..

Type: Rolled edges, padded OEM style
Holes: Oval, but glued/waxed on the inside to avoid fraying
Size: 22/22mm
Length: 140/90
Main color: Grey canvas
Stitching: Light grey/off-white U-shaped
Keepers: 2 floating keepers in light grey canvas

Inside: Black leather

Inspiration:

1568731467144.jpg.fe3e94d2a803e9de122e8ccff7bf01df.jpg1568809742811.jpg.535173c6d3de0877b75f98edcd673520.jpg1568722507290.jpg.2f1511c528f7cfe40d2370c8c0c102de.jpg1568742516423.jpg.854a626f6a324bde8afee0ef6b082043.jpg

I've been trying to ease off reps and hadn't ordered one in a year. In that time Iiterally put a Pam616 into my cart 3 times and then took it out again because of the 47mm caseset being just too big, and the fact that I am enjoying smaller watches at 39/40mm these days.

I saw the Pam960 and boy am I glad I waited. Ordered from Josh on 12/12 and it arrived on Christmas Eve morning. It has not been off my wrist since then!

I agree the caseset material feels 'ceramic like', but to me this is a plus as it is not plasticky like a G-Shock. The lume could have been a little brighter but it's not bad, and it is in keeping with the whole 'blackout' look (same reason I like the black OP logo on the rep strap over the blue logo of the gen strap).

On 12/27/2019 at 3:47 AM, ninjagaiden said:

I saw the Pam960 and boy am I glad I waited. Ordered from Josh on 12/12 and it arrived on Christmas Eve morning. It has not been off my wrist since then!

I agree the caseset material feels 'ceramic like', but to me this is a plus as it is not plasticky like a G-Shock. The lume could have been a little brighter but it's not bad, and it is in keeping with the whole 'blackout' look (same reason I like the black OP logo on the rep strap over the blue logo of the gen strap).

Yeah it’s pretty stealthy for sure. I was actually thinking of brightening it up with a blue strap at some stage. 

You’re right about the material it’s a unique feel indeed. How you finding the weird [censored] movement date?