When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

3 watches worth $700,000

mymanmatt

Okey no worries but go and compare high res pictures of this particular dial and you will see that it‘s not gen. Maybe he doesn‘t know, it‘s quite comon to replace dials to significantly raise prices! Most 4 digit tonas out there are butchered pieces. One of the most difficult watches to buy and not be screwed by shady dealers (not implying your guy is but probably he doesn‘t know either).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t even know what you mean when you say  “killy”. I know nothing about these watches. I went over there last week to pick up a couple of crowns and he had one of his trays out of the safe. These were in the tray with another 7 or 8 watches.  I thought they were interesting, and took some pictures. He said they were gen and that’s what I go by. Maybe he said they are worth $70,000 not $700,000. He is hard to understand sometimes. Either way they are out of my price range. These are not for sale. Just thought I would put the pics up. If you think they are fake, look away. If you’ve never seen watches like these, just have a look. 

• Like 1

A "Jean-Claude Killy" can refer to one of five models, 4767, 4768, 5036, 6036 and 6236.  I can't vouch for the others but I know the 6036 used the V72C movement.

Thanks for sharing these with us 🙂 

I am under the impression that the PN shouldn’t be genuine from the reflective surface of the subdials. (The photos aren’t really clear so I cannot be 100% certain).

The “anti-magnetique”, if this is a 4767, should be in a straight line instead or curving around the subdial 6, if I were to look at most references out there... then again I don’t know enough of the Killy to make an informed confirmation. 

It was commonplace to have dials and parts refinished and swapped back in the day, so it’s a possibility. Either way still lovely watches. 

Edited by blackboxes

13 minutes ago, blackboxes said:

Thanks for sharing these with us 🙂 

I am under the impression that the PN shouldn’t be genuine from the reflective surface of the subdials. (The photos aren’t really clear so I cannot be 100% certain).

The “anti-magnetique”, if this is a 4767, should be in a straight line instead or curving around the subdial 6, if I were to look at most references out there... then again I don’t know enough of the Killy to make an informed confirmation. 

It was commonplace to have dials and parts refinished and swapped back in the day, so it’s a possibility. Either way still lovely watches. 

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So are you saying that the PN could be gen but with an aftermarket dial? 

I am asking for the sake of learning. I am not an expert and will refrain from commenting on the authenticity of the dials/watches. 

32 minutes ago, Legend said:

So are you saying that the PN could be gen but with an aftermarket dial? 

I am asking for the sake of learning. I am not an expert and will refrain from commenting on the authenticity of the dials/watches. 

I would think it’s great to learn from each other 🙂 The rest of the watch might well be genuine but with the picture quality it’s almost impossible to say for sure. 

the bracelets are nicely stretched so they do resemble a used band from 5-60 years back. Heh.  

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 3:47 PM, Nanuq said:

A "Jean-Claude Killy" can refer to one of five models, 4767, 4768, 5036, 6036 and 6236.  I can't vouch for the others but I know the 6036 used the V72C movement.

A quick check of google and it looks like all 5 references use the V72C. Other than the hands on this chronograph being a little unusual, the watch looks fine to me. The 'anti-magnetique' curved around the the 6 o'clock subdial appears to be a later feature so maybe this watch is a 6236. Rolex quit making the triple dates in the middle 60s- guess they weren't a big seller. Of course, neither were the Daytonas that came after that.

Yes, the combination of Oyster cases and screw-down crowns plus manual wind movements was not a strong selling point.  All the better for those of us willing to put up with the tedium of "having" to wind the beastie every day.

I hereby volunteer to take on the odious task of owning and winding any JCK should someone here tire of it.

Damn, I still kick myself.  I know exactly where it is too, but the owner is too busy to dig through her boxes of stuff and find it.   :fool: