When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A humble watch.

Mike on a bike

I tried all my life to get my dad to wear a Rolex. He would laugh at me. Why should I wear an expensive watch? I can buy a timex for $20, keeps perfect time, last 2 years before the battery gives up. Then I can throw it in the trash , but another one for $20 and good for another 2 years. Lol. His generation was so sensible. Lol

My dad was the same way.  He was proud of the fact he could press his crown in a dark room and the entire dial glowed.  :tu:  I went to his house one day and took off my 1665 Sea Dweller so we could work on his car.  I remember him asking "Why do you wear that big turnip?"  

He's gone a year now, and his Timex is still ticking.  I hope it keeps going forever.

• Like 2

There’s nothing wrong with Timex. My mother gave me one as my first watch when I was about 5 years old. I wore it for years and it survived all the abuse that a young kid could throw at it. As I got older and had other watches my mother used to wear it herself. It’s still around somewhere but now needs a service! 

I had a couple of Indiglo Timex watches years ago, and loved ‘em. If they did these current “cool retro dive” styles with Indiglo I’d be there like a shot. But they just don’t have anything particularly special to offer, aside from looking okay. So for now I’ll stick with the fake Roleys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to see a lume shot! For $259 it's a tad expensive, IMO. You can buy a Parnis with a Miyota for $100-125. Don't know if the Parnis would make 100 meters, but I never get past 125 feet these days anyway. Invictas with the NH35A aren't bad either for around $100, maybe less. 

When one reflects on it, any watch that survives the 12 month period has already proved to be a good watch!!!!.

Really they are all made of similar material and anything with 17 jewels is compatible with either high end or low end.  Period!!!!!

Do we pay for an expensive watch just for the movement alone??  NO of course not, when we reflect on  the Rolex Cosmograph with a Valjoux 72 movement and the same movement in a Tissot,, we are paying for the same movement but with an astronomical price difference just for the different case, dial and lets not forget 'THE NAME'!!!!!

For years I was obsessed as a child at the mystery to what that black dialed watch James Dean wore in the movie "Rebel without a Cause'.  As he was a movie star, my impression was that he could afford the most expensive and elite watch imaginable!!!   Thanks to the internet, I later discovered that it was the Westclox Ben ( a cheap disposable equivalent to our modern battery Kmart operated watch)  When these watch are given a basic service they can still be seen to be working today!!!  Reason why I am just as happy with my replica Rolex as if it were the real piece from Geneve'

Edited by horologist
grammatic error

On 11/7/2019 at 5:29 PM, alligoat said:

I'd like to see a lume shot! For $259 it's a tad expensive, IMO. You can buy a Parnis with a Miyota for $100-125. Don't know if the Parnis would make 100 meters, but I never get past 125 feet these days anyway. Invictas with the NH35A aren't bad either for around $100, maybe less. 

Saw a lume shot, not so great.