When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is this tool?

Dawagner

Hey guys,

I recently bought a new staking set and it came with a set of these mystery (to me) tools. It is like a spring activated punch that reveals a sharp auger like punch when depressed.

Take a look and let me know what these are and what they are used for.

Thanks!1a5d249c1763b26bfcdc25a25718388f.jpg59158087ba8656a70e021b7710b77373.jpgce0c27fff447087f8c4a9e056d1190e0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

The 3135 rotor axle is staked in the weight on the bottom side by using a special staking punch in a staking tool.  The 3135 rotor axle/weight is held in the autowind assembly by a clip that can be removed from the top side with the a/w assembly on or off the movement.  You can see the clip through a slot in the top of the a/w plate.

All 15xx and 30xx movements use basically the same method but the rotor axles and staking tool punches are different.  Only the 3135/3130 axle/weight can be r/r without removing the a/w assembly from the movement.

The slot is at 12 high:

Auth Rolex Movement Rotor Part For Caliber 3135-145 Automatic Device Module

Pic from eBay item number  123921613024

Do not know exactly what he tool is to be used for but if it is made like a 'snapping' center punch, it may be used to peen holes in main plates and various other areas to tighten bushings etc with the sharpened end out.

Most watch whittlers use a three corner punch in a staking tool to peen plates etc so they can control the force of the blow to the tool.  They put a few dents a short distance from the hole and the dent distorts the area enough to in effect, shrink the hole.  Purists frown on this practice of course but it is common going back hundreds of years. 

I have seen quite a few 'peened' main plates on rlx 15xx where the mainspring arbor has worn the hole in the main plate our of round from lack of service.  Three or four dents are a lot cheaper than a main plate, especially today.

Someone wanting a better fix could make a brass bushing, enlarge the original hole, press the bushing in the plate, and broach it to size.  A lot of work but it might make the Purists less miserable.