When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

No Parts For You! Never Ever.

automatico

Scroll down to 'Watch Talk' December 6, 2019...

https://www.watchpro.com/watch-talk-pulling-parts-accounts-could-backfire-for-swiss-watch-industry/

I put this in the rlx section because they are one of the worst NPFU offenders and there are a lot of rlx guys on this site.

Music, Melody, Musical Note, Notenblatt  "I ain't gonna be a ho for a rolex no mo."                                                                                                                                                                                        

• Like 1

That was a good and depressing read

I think the huge difference between the luxury watch industry and auto industry is that there was no catastrophic crash in the auto industry due to a functionally superior technology emerging, as happened in the "quartz crisis".  A company has to take drastic measures to stay alive when it sells a product that nobody actually needs anymore, and I think that monopoly of parts, heritage consolidation, and lifestyle mysticism are results of that. The Swiss companies gambled heavily that they could transform their products into pure status objects, and won, so they are going to keep playing that hand for all it's worth.

I think there's an undercurrent of dissatisfaction with this policy, seen in the huge influx of interest into vintage collecting, micro brands, and vintage detailing in new designs.. but until the world of "Instagram prestige" buyers dries up, Rolex will continue to treat us like a fortuitous cash cow instead of a valued customer.

A recent example: I was able to get a watch I've wanted for years - a WW2 era Longines Weems. It has all the hallmarks of the ~1,900 issued to the Royal Air Force in early 1940, minus the case back acceptance engravings. I took a gamble and bought it anyway. I contacted Longines and they verified by serial number that it is indeed one of the RAF watches. To my amazement, Longines has kept extensive records and will share them with you at no cost. I think they simply can't afford to be as obstinate toward their collectors as Rolex is. Still, when it comes time to service this thing, it's no doubt going to a private watchmaker somewhere near me instead of returning to Longines in a boatload of Swiss francs :captain:

IMG_20191228_163220457.jpg

IMG_20191228_163220457.jpg

Edited by jimcon11
  • Like 2