When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1665 caseback question

Twist2019

The 1665 caseback has the inscription on it- the 5513/1680 don't. You can give it a try- rafflesdials.com used to have plain casebacks- people would switch out a 1655 caseback for a GMT type of caseback- I never got that anal when I built my 1675 Pan Am.

You're on your own there! You could ask the seller. There's two things to think about. One, the DRSD or any 1665 SD is thicker than the 5513/1680 watches because it was designed to withstand greater pressures. This might account for the thicker caseback which you don't like.

Secondly, buying a VN caseback probably will cost more than your JKF cost. JKFs are ok but they really are just a budget SD. There's probably other improvements that you could make to improve your JKF that would give you more bang for the buck than changing out the caseback. Better dial, bezel insert, crystal, crown and tube come to mind. People like to swap out the 2836-2 for a 2846-2 which is a lower beat movement- closer to the 1575 movement. Trimming crown guards and drilling lugholes are other improvements that improve the look and get you closer to a gen-like look.

The caseback does seem to be an odd area of the watch to spend serious money on.

I don’t know how much a VN caseback will cost you - but you could get a complete JKF 5513 for $100, swap the caseback with the 1665 and sell the 5513 to get most of your money back.

If you want I can see if the swap is possible (I don’t see why it shouldn’t be) - I have both watches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"...buying a VN caseback probably will cost more than your JKF cost.  There's probably other improvements that you could make to improve your JKF that would give you more bang for the buck than changing out the caseback."

"The caseback does seem to be an odd area of the watch to spend serious money on."

Agree.

Many of the cartel submariner/SD casebacks are made for cases with the gasket mounted in a groove in the case.  This is correct for a 1665 but all genuine spec 5512/13, 1680 casebacks have the gasket mounted in a groove in the caseback.

All six (6) of my Raffles submariner type casebacks have 30.43 to 30.45mm OD threads (measured with a precision digital caliper) and are made for cases with gaskets mounted in the case.  All are 35.45mm OD or very close.

Afaik the OD of a genuine 1665 CB is 36.9mm, do not know the thread size, probably the same but it's a guess.  The CB gasket size is 32.5mm x 1.0mm, same as 5512/13, 1680, 1655, 1675 (oem spec 1655/1675 case gaskets are mounted in the case).

Raffles site shows the thread size to be 30.3mm on their submariner type casebacks (30.3mm ??, all mine are 30.43 to 30.45mm). 

Almost all Raffles casebacks = cartel type parts.  I used 'almost' as a disclaimer because I only have six.

The main outer difference between oem spec casebacks and most cartel casebacks is the cartel casebacks are made for cases with the gasket mounted in the case and are a little thinner around the outer edge than oem spec submariner/SD casebacks. 

The outer profile can vary from close to oem to not so close.

• Like 1

Just out of interest, last night I whipped the caseback off a 5513 and tried to fit it to a 1665. It didn’t. 

Also just out of interest, the 5513 is cartel (JKF) - but it didn’t have a groove in the case for the gasket. The caseback had the groove.

On 1/4/2020 at 2:17 AM, alligoat said:

You're on your own there! You could ask the seller. There's two things to think about. One, the DRSD or any 1665 SD is thicker than the 5513/1680 watches because it was designed to withstand greater pressures. This might account for the thicker caseback which you don't like.

Secondly, buying a VN caseback probably will cost more than your JKF cost. JKFs are ok but they really are just a budget SD. There's probably other improvements that you could make to improve your JKF that would give you more bang for the buck than changing out the caseback. Better dial, bezel insert, crystal, crown and tube come to mind. People like to swap out the 2836-2 for a 2846-2 which is a lower beat movement- closer to the 1575 movement. Trimming crown guards and drilling lugholes are other improvements that improve the look and get you closer to a gen-like look.

I change dial hands DW crown and tube . Now I m thinking about if I should buy a VN case .I think that may be more accurate. I measured my friend's vn case is 17mm, but mine has 18.

9B4340C4-4756-4197-B1D1-C5F05B2D316B.jpeg

17 hours ago, automatico said:

"...buying a VN caseback probably will cost more than your JKF cost.  There's probably other improvements that you could make to improve your JKF that would give you more bang for the buck than changing out the caseback."

"The caseback does seem to be an odd area of the watch to spend serious money on."

Agree.

Many of the cartel submariner/SD casebacks are made for cases with the gasket mounted in a groove in the case.  This is correct for a 1665 but all genuine spec 5512/13, 1680 casebacks have the gasket mounted in a groove in the caseback.

All six (6) of my Raffles submariner type casebacks have 30.43 to 30.45mm OD threads (measured with a precision digital caliper) and are made for cases with gaskets mounted in the case.  All are 35.45mm OD or very close.

Afaik the OD of a genuine 1665 CB is 36.9mm, do not know the thread size, probably the same but it's a guess.  The CB gasket size is 32.5mm x 1.0mm, same as 5512/13, 1680, 1655, 1675 (oem spec 1655/1675 case gaskets are mounted in the case).

Raffles site shows the thread size to be 30.3mm on their submariner type casebacks (30.3mm ??, all mine are 30.43 to 30.45mm). 

Almost all Raffles casebacks = cartel type parts.  I used 'almost' as a disclaimer because I only have six.

The main outer difference between oem spec casebacks and most cartel casebacks is the cartel casebacks are made for cases with the gasket mounted in the case and are a little thinner around the outer edge than oem spec submariner/SD casebacks. 

The outer profile can vary from close to oem to not so close.

Thank you a lot!

I measured my caseback thread and it was 30.88.  I asked the dealer and the price of a Vietnamese caseback is 260 $.  Now I am hesitating whether he will match my watch.  I know Vietnam cases are oem size, but I do n’t know how much 1665 thread of oem size should be

1 hour ago, n0bby said:

Just out of interest, last night I whipped the caseback off a 5513 and tried to fit it to a 1665. It didn’t. 

Also just out of interest, the 5513 is cartel (JKF) - but it didn’t have a groove in the case for the gasket. The caseback had the groove.

Thanks for your experience!

so I wan to know your 1665 version. It’s a cartel too?  My case SN is 5790188

35 minutes ago, Twist2019 said:

so I wan to know your 1665 version. It’s a cartel too?  My case SN is 5790188

I'm not entirely sure of the origin of the 1665 I checked (it was an M2M purchase), but I'm pretty sure it's a cartel. SN on mine is 3838448. I have a double red cartel on its way from Marvellous Replica - should be here next week, so I'll check that too.