When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 1958 GMT 6542

Robspring81

Greetings,

I inherited a 1958 GMT master ref. 6542 from my Grandfather who passed away in 2013. He purchased the watch new in 1959 In Rammstein Germany while in the Air Force. He was a career pilot and I imagine he picked this watch out because it was a useful tool for a pilot to have.

In the 70’s the original bezel broke and his watch service ship installed another submariner style bezel on it( I imagine back then without the internet it was harder to source parts). He also replaced the original bracelet( may have broke or who knows). He put a JB Champion brick bracelet on it as you seen in the photos. 

I purchased a Bakelite replica bezel for it, And plan on getting a genuine 7206 with 58 end links (if I can find the right deal). He wore the watch for over 50 years and it has held up wonderfully. The dial and hands are original. 

Here are some photos of the watch, along with a picture of my Grandfather wearing it in 1965 or 66. He worked for the test flight program at Edwards Air Force base in the 60s and 70s after he retired and wore the watch daily. So the watch has some very cool Flight related history as well. 

5F00846F-8D49-4660-BAE9-FE811C76923A.jpeg

64263557-3ABE-4C9A-87FA-EB8D430E32C6.jpeg

C7BBABF2-CB47-4597-A0FE-1A737CB57B8B.jpeg

AC280276-3CD3-4B43-808F-FE64147A85BF.jpeg

D90071B4-9FFB-4A64-8960-549C09F8C847.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, jackflash said:

Lovely watch. Congrats. Would be tempted to leave it as-is. The watch evolved with your Grandfather, the result is his story.

I agree w/ Jack  wear it as is that is as authentic as it gets, the back story different parts put on are all part of it's history. When you have real thing no need to go crazy making it dead on you are already there.

• Like 1

I won’t be getting rid of the bezel and bracelet that are one it, but I want to bring it back to how it was meant to look. I think my grandfather would have if he would have had the parts. I think a good replica Bakelite and a River style bracelet with correct end links will make it really look perfect. I appreciate the input, pics to follow when it’s done !

I made the same mistake when I found the Brevet crown for my 6536/1.  It arrived and it looked too small.  Sure 'nuff it was supposed to be 6mm.

I did the research and convinced myself a Brevet was appropriate for an early 1958 Submariner, so you'd think it's also appropriate for a 1958 GMT and shouldn't look at all out of place.

Can anyone help identify the current bezel I have on the watch? Installed in the 70s , looks like a Turnograph? But , the no “30” at the 6 o’clock position I haven’t seen.

Youre right about the 30 missing... Ask on VintageRolexForum...

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

It's not a Turn-O-Graph, the shape of the knurling is wrong and the tic marks on the insert would be small oblongs instead of short bars.

I think you've got a Hamazawa Le Gant bezel there from the 70s QS (QuickSet) version.

• Like 2

I’m somewhat starting my search for a bracelet. The info I see is that the best bracelet is a 7206 with 80 end links. 58 end links will work, and a 6636 bracelet would be appropriate as well. 

Both of those tend to be 2-3k from what I’ve seen online. Any other recommendations? Maybe some that aren’t so pricey that will fit? I see some of the more current Oyster bracelets that are non Rivet and not vintage that are more reasonable. Other thought is maybe put a black Everest band on it.