When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building a 16800 Sub

Tribal

Hello Gang,

The 16800 was allways my grail Sub, so I decided to build one.

I got a refinished Dial for now.28bca6a29fbc4e29e5b520efa51e761d.jpg

I will take a VR Movement 3135, so the problem is the open 6&9 Datewheel.

I must get gen 168000 wheel that goes in the right direction.

I have an old MBW Sub with Lugholes and gen Insert installed. I thought it will be a nice base.

I bought some nice gen 93150 bracelet parts with gen Endlinks.63ce1fde3c315a7696f2e94ec18bdbe8.jpg8664da3ddf0b61af976228ba0839a698.jpg

After running in Problems to fit the VR 3135 in the old MBW Case, I decided to get one of my old WM9 Cases as base.

So the Case got a gen Tube and Crown and a gen No Lec Crystal, also

A gen Insert is installed.

The Rehaut needs to be a bit shallower for a 16800, so it must be shaved down.

The case has no Lugholes so it must be drilled too.

This must be done as next step.

I got hands on the route too.

Here is a sneak Peek

9a9dfc93b6015ddf541eee98cafe3931.jpg

I will update the post when the work is done.

Thanks for looking.

Gesendet von meinem Mi MIX 2S mit Tapatalk

• Like 2

How are you thinking you will shave the rehaut? From the front of the case?

I'm struggling to understand how you will achieve a shallower rehaut depth while maintaining the overall geometry of the case. Feels like shaving the front will just lower the crystal a bit; milling the inside will throw off the stem height.

imo, to get the shallow rehaut, try removing metal from the inside of the case. But if you do that, the crown/stem/tube height would become different and the VR3135 wouldn't be compatible. Therefore, the other solution is to install an eta 2836-2 movement. However, finding an open 6/9 ETA dwo (with the correct 3035 font) would be a challenge; but you could get away with a modern closed 6/9 DWO as RSC has swapped service closed 6/9 dwo into 3035 movements before

btw, for your inspiration :D :D
20200123-012623-1.jpg

• Like 1

How are you thinking you will shave the rehaut? From the front of the case?

I'm struggling to understand how you will achieve a shallower rehaut depth while maintaining the overall geometry of the case. Feels like shaving the front will just lower the crystal a bit; milling the inside will throw off the stem height.

I think it will be the best, to shave down the Rehaut from the top of the Case. I try to take a smaller crystal gasket and crystal with stronger magnification. Maybe a mix of inside and outside shaving will do the trick. Will see if this works.

Damn. The rehaut on the MBW case is DEEEP. holy crap! I thought I had a bunch of rehaut milling to do for my JF but that’s seems fine after seeing this.

You could try putting a overlay on top of the VR datewheel. That’s pretty much what JF, ARF does with their clone movements and they work fine.

Here’s one a RWG member made.

https://rwg.cc/datastore/attachments/monthly_09_2012/post-10838-0-68609200-1347931856.jpg

It’s still have the flat top 3s but it’s still vintage. I would think printing on a semigloss paper would work. You just don’t get the raised printing. (Does 16800s even have raised printing?) I don’t remember.

My build is just gonna have the modern gen datewheel. It’s just easier and I can live with closed 6s and 9s. I’ll just not wear it on those days. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn. The rehaut on the MBW case is DEEEP. holy crap! I thought I had a bunch of rehaut milling to do for my JF but that’s seems fine after seeing this.

You could try putting a overlay on top of the VR datewheel. That’s pretty much what JF, ARF does with their clone movements and they work fine.

Here’s one a RWG member made.

https://rwg.cc/datastore/attachments/monthly_09_2012/post-10838-0-68609200-1347931856.jpg

It’s still have the flat top 3s but it’s still vintage. I would think printing on a semigloss paper would work. You just don’t get the raised printing. (Does 16800s even have raised printing?) I don’t remember.

My build is just gonna have the modern gen datewheel. It’s just easier and I can live with closed 6s and 9s. I’ll just not wear it on those days. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the reason I take the other route and take my WM9 Case, much easier to rework the Rehaut. Also the fitting on an VR3135 is much easier.
I try to get a gen 168000 Datewheel to
do it right.
New Dial is on the way too.

f77881f985e2133103b3b3d2b3ba2303.jpg