When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Air Force Vet, Rolex 6263 and the Antiques Roadshow

Nanuq

On 4 February 2020 at 1:43 AM, thegrail said:

I think it’s a load of nonsense, that’s never an unworn watch look at the sticker on the back, dirt on the inner clasp, missing stamped certificate? Also the cost? Seems very cheap even for a watch bought in 1974? Also dated 1971? So 3 yrs in the shop before it was sold? A lot don’t ring true in this story for me sorry.

As with any television show, media news etc. they always sensationalise the  stories otherwise they don't sell or make the ratings!  Old as the hills in the media industry! 

As for never been worn, I didn't buy that part either!   Maybe worn on special occasions at most  10 to 20 times, would be consistent with the  condition of  the back seal, especially  if it was kept in a safety deposit box as he claims!  If it were my watch I would not have wound it  to get it ticking as the old oil in the movement over the decades would be like old enamel paint !   I won't comment on those receipts nor  the missing stamped certificate.

nevertheless  it was a great story and I enjoyed watching it!  Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Timelord
Typo error

• 2 weeks later...
I think it’s a load of nonsense, that’s never an unworn watch look at the sticker on the back, dirt on the inner clasp, missing stamped certificate? Also the cost? Seems very cheap even for a watch bought in 1974? Also dated 1971? So 3 yrs in the shop before it was sold? A lot don’t ring true in this story for me sorry.

Watch looks good. Everything is OK, even the papers without punch or any details is OK. Most of first owners Daytonas between 1971 and late 80‘s came with blank certificate. The punch or written details are mostly done later by owners, resellers or counterfeiters. You have to understand that these Daytonas were only a bit more expensive than a Precision (which also came mostly with same papers - blank)...Means: these model was one of the cheapest Rolex, unpopular and not sellable...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Omega said:

I see a watch in amazing condition.

Exactly!!    But definitely Not - New old stock!!  Judging by the condition of the back sticker, I see a watch that has been worn easily half a dozen times (possibly at special occasions) and would have to agree with thegrail  and Timelord!!

Yet it was a great enjoyable story!!

OK, I agree with you - not really NOS. But I can understand the euphoria of the expert and his description of that watch, because it’s a “show me another one in same condition” situation.
I am pretty sure, in this life you will not find another one like that...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk