When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1016 Franken strategic issues

Serafino

Onion???
Can I mod the existing bezel of 16200 and what needs to be modified in it and what tools are needed to do that. Thanks in advance.
I make a new one with Cnc machine.
For me the 1016 bezel looks like an onion if you see it's profile

Inviato dal mio STF-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

1 minute ago, maikol said:

I make a new one with Cnc machine.
For me the 1016 bezel looks like an onion if you see it's profile

Inviato dal mio STF-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

Hows this bezel profile. Looks like a slice of onion.

20200212_215928.jpg

Well my crown had no threads so ordered a replacement from raffles 20 days gone and its stuck at shanghai airport due to corona virus pandemic hence managing with aftermarket unsigned crown which is onion style.😉

To try and clear things up about bezels.  I do not routinely sell separate bezels anymore unless somebody asks for one and I have an extra available.  I make them in batches, usually just to supply as part of a case set, and will usually make one or two extra.  It used to be a lot easier to make when I could get thick-wall stainless steel pipe.  I have not been able to find any sched 160 pipe in the size I need for a couple of years so I have to start with solid stainless steel round stock and bore it to size which is very time consuming on the small machines that I have.

• Like 1

Just to spread around the praise it was LHOOQ that provided good verifiable data/dimensions and hi-res photo from a gen bezel which I used to pull into a CAD program and develop the CNC program.  I then tweaked it with his input until he was satisfied it was correct.  And, as they say, the rest is history!

• Like 3

He is a member who had 4 1016 projects.  The threads about the projects developed a lot of useful information and inspired a lot of builds.  Not around much lately, but his threads are a necessary read if one is going to make a 1016.

Now this is important.  I am going to post a link to a BAD site that uses content from here to lure people.  Don't trust links there and be very careful.  But you will find defunct pictures there although usually the names of the posters has been changed.

https://www.rw-forum.com/topic/57711-vintage-explorer-project-3-space-dweller/

A little more on that "forum":

Edited by Serafino
  • Like 1

"Tell me about it!  Taking about .007" per pass gets pretty long and old real quick!"

Fer  sure. 

All I have is a Sherline lathe and milling machine and it is slow going.  They are precise but small and slow.  Many big lathes have more slack in them than the tolerances needed for watch projects so I would probably end up finishing them in a small lathe anyway.

I have a friend with a machine shop and he bored the ID and sized the OD of about 15 blanks cut from some heavy seamless tubing down to 38mm X 29mm and it made it quite a bit easier.  Iirc he cut about 5 or 6mm off the OD and about the same inside, can't remember.  They are all 2.8mm thick because another friend already sawed them to size at another machine shop before he carried them out. 

Cutting them down to the smaller size took about an hour off making a bezel from the larger blanks.  It still takes at least 2 hours not counting final polishing.

That is why I use ST smooth sapphire bezels to begin with if I can but they are a hair too small for '1016' bezels...about 34.5mm as stated above.  

The ST bez (RSMSS) is only $15.  A good price if they will work on a project.

A machine shop out the road was charging $80 an hour plus material 3 or 4 years ago for walk in jobs.  Good thing all my machine shop friends work free...or for  th?id=AMMS_2bf98e36405d9d763369a0fae42dd    

I bought quite a bit of stuff from this outfit because they sell in small quantities.  They are a first rate company to deal with.

https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/stainless-steel-round-tube

5 hours ago, automatico said:

All I have is a Sherline lathe and milling machine and it is slow going.  They are precise but small and slow. 

The Sherline is really nice for small precise work.  I have a Harbor Freight 7x10 that I converted to CNC which is what I make bezels on and re-shape the DJ cases into 1016 cases.  For manual work I have an old 50s South Bend "Light 10."

Now then, has anyone managed to find a way to give Helenarou flat hands (i.e. the set with the 13mm M and S hands) a curve / dome?  'Lo was going to give it a try back in 2015 ...

Alternatively, since people keep redirecting me to the 1570 option I gave up on a while back, is there a source for a hand set with long M and S hands, preferable with a curve / dome?  Maybe someone among the MQ crowd?  I looked at MQ and even the 6542 hands don't scale out promisingly.

• 1 month later...