When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What happened to the Seagull st1902?? Need one!

buildrepair7

Hi everyone,

Was hoping someone could shed some light on an issue I'm having. after using a pusher and hearing a "snap" my chronograph is not working. It is a Seagull ST1902. I believe they are discontinued in favor of the 1903 (basically same movement with 24 hour time at the 6:00 subdial rather than 12hr time. My dial requires the 12hr time subdial. Anyone have one laying around they would sell or know of a place to get one or a drop in replacement? Any help would be greatly appreciated - I love this watch.

Best

Justin

12 hours ago, buildrepair7 said:

So it looks like it is the 1902, I cant seem to find it anywhere - even cousins

Interestingly,  I posted  about this  same movement  some 3 or 4 weeks ago.   I also has a similar issue with my speed master replica which mysteriously no longer runs.  Gave up on it  as it no longer transmits power!!  Mine was running but as soon as the coupling clutch engaged it would stop after an hour or so!  The zeroing register did not work at all as the register seemed to be a dummy!

should you buy the movement make sure there is a warranty on it as these can be a hit or a miss!  My understanding is that if you   cannot find a 1902, a 1903 will also fit but the bottom register will move  half a revolution as it is a24 hour register as opposed to a 12 hour register!  If this doesn't bother you, you would be better off buying a cheap watch with this movement and use it as a donor movement !  At least you know that it has has some quality control!   You might pay some $20-$30 more but you will also gain  some extra spares including a bracelet!  But be careful when replacing it as the tolerances of working or not working will become an issue and casing is paramount!  The casing can make a difference between working and not working!

No watchmaker will even look a them for even the smallest of problems, so these are pretty much disposables unless you are skilled enough to service and trouble shoot it yourself!  Sad but true!

good luck!

In my experience these movements are a hit or a miss!  In my case more of a miss than a hit!  

Great if you can score a hit, until spare parts are needed and sadly as with the genuine rolex company, using the famous quote" no parts for you".

Aside from no spare parts available, they all seem to have the same fault with the keyless works as the stem keeps falling out and will not engage or keeps getting stuck in time setting position when in the winding part.  Very flimsy parts as the cover plate spring has a tendency to break!  

Materials used are very delicate just like the mvt itself which can easily stop working for no unknown reason!! Let's not forget that they are made by the clone people so quality is the issue

looks like we all need the typical common parts!

I also have never had luck with these. The watch I'm fixing is an old Paul Newman homage. Its the cheapest watch I own but it has sentimental value. The only thing that broke was the tab that corresponds with the top pusher. everything else is fully functional and keeping time. Its a shame because it was the only seagull I ever saw that reset Perfectly to zero every single time it was used. Happy to sell the movement, or parts to whoever needs them. I can disassemble no problem as well. Judging by the piece that broke, it seems that many components of these movements are cast rather than machined - bound to break eventually

- I don't collect quartz, sans the 70's Seiko tuna's (first quartz dive watch built when Quartz was the s**t) but the Meca-Quartz Seiko movement is the only way to go IMO if you want a worry free affordable chrono. Ticks and snaps back to 12:00 just like the mechanical with none of the Seagull BS

Edited by buildrepair7

Yes,  I bought an alpha chronograph from a U. K seller and I thought it had better quality control than the replicas sold from our friendly rep suppliers.   It is the same sh!& as all the  seagull clones . The pusher stuffed up exactly a year after the warranty expired.  It is an L shaped piece which pushes the hammer part to reset the centre second to zero.  The bottom L part broke off and of all places it fell into the pallet fork dislodging one of the jewels which has put it into suspended animation!   Wished there was a genuine eta version of if and what I mean is a better quality control product.  I bought a replacement from cousins but seems to stop after a couple of hours  especially when engaging the chrono function!   These also have a problem with the keyless works as the part that holds in the stem seems to have a weak point or a design fault or quality material fault that cause the stem to fall out all the time.  Not sure which is which of these  it is, but a hassle free quartz substitute for the dial would be the solution!

• Like 1

I have owned quite a few Asian originals/clones/remakes including the Seagull ST19.  Out of the two ST19 watches that I have worn very much (a month or two), one went DOA.  I have a couple 'nos' Alphas and 'nos' first series PN with oversize cases but it is a waste of (my) time to fool with them imho so they have never been worn. 

My experience with Asian clones in general has not been good.  My opinion is they are double-down-damn-junk with a few exceptions:

Seagull ST16 Miyota clone with 'magic lever' type auto winding.  Ok as is and I have removed the auto-wind assembly on a few and they have been excellent time keepers with 30 or 35 hour reserve.

Seagull ST6D...not a clone but an original design converted to automatic from a manual wind base.  Tough as nails except for a few plastic date parts if you set the date around midnight.

Various DG 2813/3804 etc Miyota type clones depending on state of cleanliness/lubrication.  

Some NN Miyota type clones depending on state of cleanliness/lubrication.   

All the above are better than average if they have been c/o.

No parts for all the above but replacements are cheap and donor movements are easy to find.

The jury is still out on the Asian 3135 and 4130 clones but no parts being available kills them for me. 

Finding parts for a genuine rolex is bad enough and if swatch/ETA cuts parts off they can chomp down on a sawbriar and swiss cheese sandwich far as I am concerned.

See the source image   Hee  Haw!

15 hours ago, automatico said:

The jury is still out on the Asian 3135 and 4130 clones but no parts being available kills them for me. 

As far as I am concerned it was always an open and shut case if I am part of the jury sevice!  Junk has many faces and definitions which we can all have our opinions, but a fact is a fact .  If something lacks durability and quality and worse still no spares available to buffer the poor product then it cannot be labeled as anything else

15 hours ago, automatico said:

Finding parts for a genuine rolex is bad enough and if swatch/ETA cuts parts off they can chomp down on a sawbriar and swiss cheese sandwich far as I am concerned.

Give me a wood oven margarita pizza anytime,!!   Let the swatch group boycott all these Swiss cheese sandwiches  for all I care, as I would keep away from them even if they  paid me all the tea in China to eat them!  Ha!

Edited by horologist

19 hours ago, automatico said:

I have owned quite a few Asian originals/clones/remakes including the Seagull ST19.  Out of the two ST19 watches that I have worn very much (a month or two), one went DOA.  I have a couple 'nos' Alphas and 'nos' first series PN with oversize cases but it is a waste of (my) time to fool with them imho so they have never been worn. 

My experience with Asian clones in general has not been good.  My opinion is they are double-down-damn-junk with a few exceptions:

You are not the only one to feel like that!  Me too and read what this poor guy has to say in the following thread;

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/riccardo-thread-please-god-make-last-i-have-talk-about-1083309.html