When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Keyless works stop watch from running?

horologist

Hello

has anyone ever seen keyless works misalignment cause a non hacking watch to stop running?  I know that with hacking movements keyless works out of line can cause the stop lever to go out of line and interfere with a running balance and stop the balance,.  I am wondering if other causes in the keyless works can cause a running watch to stop running especially when the stem will not engage ?

I have seen the post on the cannon pinion not be flush with the wheel it sits in. It would bind up and stop it. I’ve also seen the hour wheel to close to one side of the dial hole. When I would tighten the crown the post on the hour wheel would touch the dial. As for keyless works stopping it, not really.  Especially in a non hacking movement. Even if the yoke is out of the clutch, it should still run. You are sure there is no stop lever?  Good luck. 

4 hours ago, mymanmatt said:

I have seen the post on the cannon pinion not be flush with the wheel it sits in. It would bind up and stop it. I’ve also seen the hour wheel to close to one side of the dial hole. When I would tighten the crown the post on the hour wheel would touch the dial. As for keyless works stopping it, not really.  Especially in a non hacking movement. Even if the yoke is out of the clutch, it should still run. You are sure there is no stop lever?  Good luck. 

Thanks for your input!! Definitely not a hacking mechanism!  It is a Ty2901 and  whenever I fix the keyless works, it starts to tick again!  Very strange indeed!  You obviously know a lot more about this  than I do.  I cannot work out why the stem keeps falling out every now and then.  Then it won't engage and I have to remove the whole damn dial  and hands to readjust the keyless works!  Maybe something worn!!   :bangin: