When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Corona Virus Crisis

Nanuq
Message added by Mike on a bike

Good news!

On 16 March 2020 at 10:01 PM, hologramet said:

which is just a flu on Red Bull.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

So was the Spanish flu which wiped out an astronomical number of people!   If you have a heart condition or a transplanted organ, you would want to wear a space suit !  But yes, society is over reacting- thanks to the media as one really needs to practise common sense with extra precautions of hygiene and  calm down!  Chernobyl was more of a danger with radioactive material floating through the air across the world, rising levels of cancer and autism/mental illnesses eta.

I agree Timelord this being said we have not the means to combat what lies ahead by a half measure. It is what it is gents this is perhaps a bit caviler but I have seen so much death.  I deal w/ ALS patients (a death sentence) every week in my home care role the care given to them by their loved ones humbles me, it both wears my spirit and reinforces it as I go from death to death. Off to bed 12 hours of it tomorrow to fight the good fight despite the odds, how could you do any less.

1 hour ago, Mike on a bike said:

I agree Timelord this being said we have not the means to combat what lies ahead by a half measure. It is what it is gents this is perhaps a bit caviler but I have seen so much death.  I deal w/ ALS patients (a death sentence) every week in my home care role the care given to them by their loved ones humbles me, it both wears my spirit and reinforces it as I go from death to death. Off to bed 12 hours of it tomorrow to fight the good fight despite the odds, how could you do any less.

Absolutely!!!  I am most at risk as I only have one kidney being a recipient of a donor from my late mother!   Being on the type of drugs I am on, my immune system is non existent !  However, I am not taking this virus lightly, but at the same time excercising prudence as best as possible and not going insane either.!!  If the virus won't kill me, the stress from over worry will for sure! 

3 hours ago, Timelord said:

Absolutely!!!  I am most at risk as I only have one kidney being a recipient of a donor from my late mother!   Being on the type of drugs I am on, my immune system is non existent !  However, I am not taking this virus lightly, but at the same time excercising prudence as best as possible and not going insane either.!!  If the virus won't kill me, the stress from over worry will for sure! 

Stay safe brothers, while I think the media is causing mass hysteria, there is reason to be concerned and take precautions 

• Like 1

I’m on telecommute status for the foreseeable future, and my local bars are closed but the takeout places are doing a roaring business. Gotta keep the hootch flowing when it’s cold out!

State of emergency and under curfew since midnight for the first 14 days, extension and more restrictions almost certain. Last chance for Europe to get this right before the numbers get exponential by the end of the month and totally out of control by mid -April. Despite high taxation and social security contributions no government prepared for anything in the last 15 years while there was time and money available. No contingency plans, no hospital capacity, no stocks. The basics are missing: for over a week there are no desinfectants at all available, no sterilium, no isopropyl alcohol until mid-april - across Europe. Local media advise that Covid-19 is airborne for 3 hours and sticks to surfaces like metal and plastic for 6 hours up to 3 days. But there are no means to desinfect things available any more - ridiculous. That thing simply is too contagious. Long cues before supermarkets as only few people may enter, one at a time. No family-shopping. You get some measly plastic gloves when entering. Italian doctors report quite sudden respiratory breakdown within one day and send over-eighties or people with other pre-conditions home to die as they have to decide who gets treatment or not.  Too many people over here love their freedom too much and lack the self-discipline or respect for the elderly. Too much propaganda of "it´s like the flu" beforehand - which it isn´t. For the time being, I very much doubt Europe will be able to handle this as the asian countries seem to have done successfully.  Too many regional differences in the handling. So much criticism over harsh measures from here and everybody let 6 weeks pass with open borders without coming up with a better plan. Now they try to do the same, too little, too late and with too many exceptions - and no desinfectants. 

COVID19 Outbreak tracking and forecasthttp://COVID19 Outbreak tracking and forecast : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f3LGuqwzegr7ZdGlzPOCDAyFk8RTaLTmMLF_K_5EVCc/edit#gid=783518927

• Like 2

Panic buying...

A friend has a commodity wholesale/retail business and he sold $10,000 worth of toilet paper last week at retail.  Re-tail toilet paper...there must be a pun in there somewhere.  Last I heard the corona virus does not give you the 'sheets'.

He bought a tractor trailer load of paper towels a couple weeks ago and they were all gone today except for 20 or 25 eight roll packs.  That's a lot of paper towels in two weeks. 

He had 64 cases with 48 packs in each case of disinfecting wipes four days ago and today there were less than three cases left.  No bread.  No bottled water.  No Little Debbies!  When they opened last Saturday he said there were 36 people lined up waiting to get in.

My 'Panic Buy'...

I went by there this morning and bought a 36 bar box of Kit Kat 'Big Kats' (3 pounds six ounces) for $5.  A few weeks ago I got 165 Ghiradelli twin packs of milk chocolate/caramel squares for $10...I gave candy away for a week.  He is the same guy I was in a watch store with for 9 years.

https://www.amazon.com/Kit-Kat-Big-36-ct/dp/B01M0KDR0P

https://www.ghirardelli.com/chocolate-with-caramel/milk-chocolate-caramel-bar-(12-ct---35-oz-ea)-60764cs?yotpo=true

The last time I remember toilet paper selling out was because of a Johnny Carson monologue on The Tonight Show in 1973.

https://madlyodd.com/johnny-carson-jokes-about-the-recent-toilet-paper-shortage/

Now there is anguish. the latest measure of the Italian government speaks of a 6-month emergency window. In some regions you can go out to buy food within a maximum of 1 km from your home. And the number of infected grows as well as the dead. China is helping us. They came with medical supplies and doctors. Thank you China for the help you are giving to my country.

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 7 utilizzando Tapatalk

Not for the light hearted. We come here to the RWG community to think about something else than daily problems. But, as the name of the thread is  Corona Virus Crisis we should know what it is about for 10% of all infected in Italy: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-they-call-it-the-apocalypse-inside-italys-hardest-hit-hospital-11960597

Fingers crossed, gents...............

Epidemiologist Neil Ferguson, who created the highly-cited Imperial College London coronavirus model, which has been instrumental in governmental policy decision-making, offered a massive revision to his model on Wednesday.

Ferguson’s model projected 2.2 million dead people in the United States and 500,000 in the U.K. from COVID-19 if no action were taken to slow the virus and blunt its curve.

However, after just one day of ordered lockdowns in the U.K., Ferguson has changed his tune, revealing that far more people likely have the virus than his team figured. Now, the epidemiologist predicts, hospitals will be just fine taking on COVID-19 patients and estimates 20,000 or far fewer people will die from the virus itself or from its agitation of other ailments.    (NewScientist link)

Author and former New York Times reporter Alex Berenson broke down the bombshell report via Twitter on Thursday morning:  “This is a remarkable turn from Neil Ferguson, who led the [Imperial College] authors who warned of 500,000 UK deaths.  He now says both that the U.K. should have enough ICU beds and that the coronavirus will probably kill under 20,000 people in the U.K.  more than 1/2 of whom would have died by the end of the year in any case because they were so old and sick.

Berenson continued: “Essentially, what has happened is that estimates of the viruses transmissibility have increased  which implies that many more people have already gotten it than we realize  which in turn implies it is less dangerous.  Ferguson now predicts that the epidemic in the U.K. will peak and subside within ‘two to three weeks’  last week’s paper said 18+ months of quarantine would be necessary.”

1 hour ago, Mike on a bike said:

From his lips to Gods ears guys, been off a couple of days tomorrow once more unto the breach.

Unfortunate quote that Mike, the next line is “or fill up the wall with our English dead”

i rather hope it doesn’t come to that for any of us. 

Stay well brothers, this too shall pass

• Like 1

This day is called the feast of Crispian:
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.

He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian:'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispin's day.'

Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day: then shall our names.
Familiar in his mouth as household words
Harry the king, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.

This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition: And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

• Like 1

An emotional evening here in Central London last night with the people supporting the  Clap For Carers campaign. Thousands of people countrywide out the front of their houses, clapping and cheering in unison in support of our health service staff.

Great support & a welcome relief from all the negativity at the moment!

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 7:34 PM, Sogeha said:

Unfortunate quote that Mike, the next line is “or fill up the wall with our English dead”

i rather hope it doesn’t come to that for any of us. 

Stay well brothers, this too shall pass

I go back and forth between absolute despair and fear then stupid bravery in the course of my duties, a roller coaster my friends.

Well of course, old friend, you’re on the front lines. It’s stress response to what’s happening. You’re young, strong and smart. I have confidence you’ll pull through this just fine. We haven’t eaten our last steak together where that buxom Russian lass was making eyes at you.

My sister sent this to me today:

"60 million Americans were infected with the Swine flu, resulting in 274,304 hospitalizations and 12,469 deaths.  No media panic, no trashing of president Barack Obama, and no travel ban.  You don't even remember it."

I'd rather that we were all responding to this "crisis" more along those lines.

Well this is now the same plot as in "Charlton Heston' s 1971 The Omega Man".   Almost identically except that the people seriously infected are sadly dying instead of turning into zombie like killer creatures!   Very haunting times we are facing!    If you combine the novel "The eyes of Darkness", a lot of the fiction is now fact!   A science fiction horror tuned into fact!  

• Like 1

Even I can understand how this virus operates by listening to this guy.  I hope his projections are way high but in the week since he posted this the USA has jumped to around 125,000 known cases and 2100 deaths.

This whole thing just pizzes me off because the (guess who) let it get away from them and then lied about it... 

'No human to human transmissions'  my azz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J0d59dd-qM

Never was a fan of the WHO either.  W(ORLD HEALTH ORIG.    Buncha goofballs imho.

The World Health Organization is now haunted by a tweet it sent earlier this year when it cited  "Chinese health officials who claimed there had been no human transmissions of the novel coronovirus within the country yet."  Key word...YET.  

Otoh the real WHO:  Pete Townshend, Roger Daltry, John Entwistle, Moon the Loon etc...Those Kids Were Alright.

Image result for The Who The Kids Are Alright

• Like 1

22 hours ago, automatico said:

Even I can understand how this virus operates by listening to this guy.  I hope his projections are way high but in the week since he posted this the USA has jumped to around 125,000 known cases and 2100 deaths.

This whole thing just pizzes me off because the (guess who) let it get away from them and then lied about it... 

'No human to human transmissions'  my azz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J0d59dd-qM

Never was a fan of the WHO either.  W(ORLD HEALTH ORIG.    Buncha goofballs imho.

The World Health Organization is now haunted by a tweet it sent earlier this year when it cited  "Chinese health officials who claimed there had been no human transmissions of the novel coronovirus within the country yet."  Key word...YET.  

Otoh the real WHO:  Pete Townshend, Roger Daltry, John Entwistle, Moon the Loon etc...Those Kids Were Alright.

Image result for The Who The Kids Are Alright

Great post!!  The link to the vid is as precise as it gets but unfortunately people appear to be in denial-  it won't happens to me  argument !   I say excercise common sense and vigilance!  If we are told to stay inside, then we do it! Unfortunately it has to come to governments passing legislation with heavy fines to get complacent members of our society to act!  Stay safe fellow members!!    I don't want to hear anyone here or their loved ones being a victim!  Same goes for others!

By the way I was listening to " the Who"  do you see the real me Doctor?  So appropriate with so many of us in limbo!