When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Latest Air-King

ceejay

What were they thinking? https://www.rolex.com/?ef_id=Cj0KCQjw9tbzBRDVARIsAMBplx8uAI9euLyIluJ3jkSgbM1stfY5UNHvBmGP8HXCi_QIrAqM0wUqV3oaAmWBEALw_wcB:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!141!3!407365018971!e!!g!!rolex

I hate everything about it from crowding a dial that was always so simplistic to the alternating sizes of the hour markings to the 2 tone seconds hand.

It's f*ckery in every way.

Rant over...

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, ceejay said:

What were they thinking? https://www.rolex.com/?ef_id=Cj0KCQjw9tbzBRDVARIsAMBplx8uAI9euLyIluJ3jkSgbM1stfY5UNHvBmGP8HXCi_QIrAqM0wUqV3oaAmWBEALw_wcB:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!141!3!407365018971!e!!g!!rolex

I hate everything about it from crowding a dial that was always so simplistic to the alternating sizes of the hour markings to the 2 tone seconds hand.

It's f*ckery in every way.

Rant over...

Different strokes I guess, cuz I just bought one from Andrew!

"What were they thinking?"

Styles change of course but I'll always remember the AK as being a silver dial vintage 34mm 5500.

Imho the silver dial 5500 is The Classic AK and the silver dial 34mm 14000M is the Modern Classic AK with a sapphire crystal and 3130 movement while retaining the older style oyster bracelet with removable hoods.

If someone wanted to, they could put a 25-12 crystal on a 14000M to make a 'modern classic'.

I kept two old AK...a 5501 tutone from 1962 with a 26 jewel 1530 and a 5500 from 1978 with a 17 jewel 1520.

The latest AK is basically a redialed Milgauss...same case/bracelet/movement/antimagnetic shield etc at a lower price.  I like them both, the AK a little bit better though.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ceejay said:

I tried to tell you!

Touché! although it has lasted as long as every other Rolex I've bought! Last one lasted about 3 weeks last year, was a 126600

They look good on the photos, then I feel funny with them on my wrist.

I keep trying with Rolex, I can't seem to love the brand... give me an AP, Blancpain, IWC, Omega, Panerai, Sinn, or Vacheron and I'll become enamoured 

"I keep trying with Rolex, I can't seem to love the brand..."

I know what you mean.

I liked them just fine back when they made regular watches.  Now they make high priced jewelry/status symbols.  Can't blame them though, if they did not change their direction they might be a minor player by now.

The same thing has happened to Omega...I remember 25 years ago when vintage Omegas were popular 'trader watches' but did not sell for much.  That too has changed, they are Hot now, maybe because of them being worn in later James Bond movies, 'First on the Moon' hype, plus the co-axial escapement. 

Bulova tuning fork Accutron watches/Accutron clocks timed many of of the space/moon trips that required precise time keeping...not Omega.  Of course Omega Speedmasters did time a few critical procedures though.

Dave Scott's famous mechanical Bulova Moon Watch:

bulova watch

From  https://www.all-the-bests.com/bulova-moonwatch-watch-of-the-moon/

The story of the Bulova Moon Watch began with a specially designed one-of-a-kind Bulova gifted to NASA Apollo Mission astronaut Dave Scott in the late 1960s or early 1970s. Dave Scott took the unique Bulova watch gifted to him by the brand with him on the 1971 Apollo 15 mission to the Moon. At the time, astronauts had government-issued Omega Speedmaster watches. The mere fact that astronauts had Omega Speedmaster watches was not without controversy, as Omega was a Swiss watch brand and certain people in the US believed that the astronauts should be wearing an American watch (at the time, Bulova was a fully American company).

As the story goes, Dave Scott’s Speedmaster became damaged and the front crystal popped off, which necessitated he wear his back-up Bulova. Colonel Scott went on to walk on the Moon’s surface and was the first person to operate a lunar rover vehicle. One his wrist at the time was reportedly the Bulova watch. After the Apollo 15 mission, the Bulova watch – as it was Scott’s personal property – remained his personal possession for many years. In 2015, Scott himself decided to auction off the Bulova watch, along with a few other items he had on the Apollo 15 mission with him.

An affordable modern historical 'Moon' watch:

bulova watch value

• 5 months later...