When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question on Keyless works on eta 2824-2?

Timelord

Greetings all! 

Hope you and your loved ones are keeping safe with the current global threat!

been doing home detention with the rest of the world and decided to tie up some loose ends on an eta 2824! which I kept putting off!

Finally got it ticking until I realised it would not manually wind nor set the time as stem kept free wheeling in both directions, but could only quick set the date!  Winding stem moves  as should though!

i pulled the keyless works cover and noticed intermediate wheel did not engage with hour wheel.  Reset it all up and it wound a couple of times, but as soon as I tried to set hour, it went back to its original problem. Something to do with the cover plate spring as yoke keeps flying out if place whenever I pull stem in different positions!  Did tighten all screws well!  Going  nuts as it isn't the first time I have successfully reset keyless works!

Those more clever than me, could you please enlighten me with what could be the issue?  !  Maybe something I do not know about keyless works ?  I have engaged the yoke and bottom spring  as I have always done and positioned all as it should, but just doesn't seem to go!  All feedback is welcome with many thanks!:bangin:

Yes it is the original stem that was functioning in every position!  I initially thought that it was worn and replaced it with a new one from the labeled sealed packet!  Again the same problem.  I then realigned the keyless works and no go!

Today I again reassembled the keyless works and noticed that the bottom hook of have cover plate somehow seems to not embrace/mesh around the bottom pin part of the setting lever !  Maybe there is an issue with the cover spring plate which is thinner metal than the operating lever and setting lever. I am not sure how it could have happened?  I am only guessing as I have done this job countless times and never encountered this before.  Was wondering if others may have ever had the same experience as well!  Thank you for your input !

10 hours ago, Justasgood said:

Are you sure you have the correct stem for that movement? Subtle differences make a big difference. Also, Are you sure the silver key-less plate hasn't been compromised or bent?

Yes it is the original stem that was functioning in every position!  I initially thought that it was worn and replaced it with a new one from the labeled sealed packet!  Again the same problem.  I then realigned the keyless works and no go!

Today I again reassembled the keyless works and noticed that the bottom hook of have cover plate somehow seems to not embrace/mesh around the bottom pin part of the setting lever !  Maybe there is an issue with the cover spring plate which is thinner metal than the operating lever and setting lever. I am not sure how it could have happened?  I am only guessing as I have done this job countless times and never encountered this before.  Was wondering if others may have ever had the same experience as well!  Thank you for your input !

This problem is common. Take the yoke out, make sure it's not bent. Sometimes it will get a slight curve upward, or a slight curve in the long position. It should be straight. A slight bend downward does not hurt. Ck the retainer where it touches the yoke, at the clutch, and be sure it's touching.  After you install the retainer, and push the lever on the retainer over the lever on the yoke, tighten the screw again. Good luck

17 hours ago, mymanmatt said:

This problem is common. Take the yoke out, make sure it's not bent. Sometimes it will get a slight curve upward, or a slight curve in the long position. It should be straight. A slight bend downward does not hurt. Ck the retainer where it touches the yoke, at the clutch, and be sure it's touching.  After you install the retainer, and push the lever on the retainer over the lever on the yoke, tighten the screw again. Good luck

Thanks for this further piece of information!  I pulled everything apart again and checked with a fine tooth comb.  I looked at the yoke and made sure it was straight!  Tightened it all up again in two steps making sure the spring hooks over the too and bottom! Then I tightened the screw and crossed my fingers!  It worked up to I   reinstalled the date-wheel !  Same thing happened!  Pulled it apart again! This time I gave it a slight bend  as you suggested and hoped for the best!  Still no go!  I can only conclude that either there is something wrong with me or the cover plate has some deformation or both !   I must have fluke this in the many past times if there is something I am not doing right!  Regardless, Thank you for your input!

Èaster greetings to all or happy safe Sunday -whichever may apply.

Timelord,  I don't believe there is anything wrong with what you have done of with you if you have successfully done this numerous times!

Something tells me that it is not your keyless works issue if you have checked all the parts and see nothing wrong with them.   Something is interfering with the top part of the jumper spring (U section) and where it puts pressure against the yoke.  Check underneath the yoke and if I recall correctly there is a hole where the balance bridge screw threads in from the other side.  I have seen the wrong screw placed in the balance bridge which sometimes can protrude the too plate on the other side and just tilt the yoke from sitting flat on the movement!  On the process of elimination this would be the only other possibility which may be causing this headache.  It might be a long shot, but check it out  and let us know?  if I were to wager on this, I would put my money on this as being your problem!  Good luck!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! Thank you!
could not post reply as it would log me out all the time I clicked reply
you hit the nail on the head!  This forum is magic with helpful, skillfull and wonderful  people!
problem solved!