When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Sub Replica | Crown won't screw in...

Dedsec

Hello guys,

Suddenly the crown on my rolex submariner replica won't screw in, it gets tight when im screwing it in, but not enough to hold it in place, and as a result it will just spin forever.

I've done some research and it looks like the tube is stripped, or at least that's what I think. 

I'd like some guidance in order to fix it / replace it. I'm a complete beginner when it comes to repairing or modifying a watch, so I have no clue what tools do I need, what replacement parts will fit my watch, and where to get them. 

If there's anyone who has done something similar on their watch, please help me! 

Thanks in advance

I'm just a hobbyist watch mangler, not a Watch Smith in any sense. I have done this and the way I did it was to decase the movement. Apply heat to the case to soften any glue, then using a fine rat tail file jammed down the tube, I managed to unscrew the old one. Depending on which rep you have there is a reasonable chance the threads are the same as Rolex, so a generic tube from any watch parts supply house, essingler, cousins etc. should do the job. A dab of locktite and job done.

Others with more knowledge might give better or more detailed advice. At least that gives you some indication of the work involved and that it is not the end o the world, so you can decide to DIY or send it for repair

Oh, I believe some are just push fit as well. I’ve not done one of those, but I believe you just find something to drift it from inside the case

I just dissasembled the watch to see what kind of tube is in there... Is the tube supposed to be under the bezel, inside the case? It looks like mine doesn't have anything there...?

44 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

I'm just a hobbyist watch mangler, not a Watch Smith in any sense. I have done this and the way I did it was to decase the movement. Apply heat to the case to soften any glue, then using a fine rat tail file jammed down the tube, I managed to unscrew the old one. Depending on which rep you have there is a reasonable chance the threads are the same as Rolex, so a generic tube from any watch parts supply house, essingler, cousins etc. should do the job. A dab of locktite and job done.

Others with more knowledge might give better or more detailed advice. At least that gives you some indication of the work involved and that it is not the end o the world, so you can decide to DIY or send it for repair

Oh, I believe some are just push fit as well. I’ve not done one of those, but I believe you just find something to drift it from inside the case

Hopefully these images will help you understand what's going on lol

I've seen a few videos and I believe I should be able to see the tube right on the outside of the case...

Do you reckon I can find replacement for that?

IMG_20200415_131335.jpg

IMG_20200415_131349.jpg

IMG_20200415_131403.jpg

Turns out that's really the problem and the tube's "screwing" part barely screws in the body (tested it with mechanism / face removed), it's very easy to "overscrew" and the tube jumps back out. 

I'll either use some commercial adheasive / glue by Loctite to make sure it can screw in again, and if that fails ill remove the glue and the old tube (with a heatgun / hair dryer) and replace it with a new one. 

Thank you for your help dude, I really appreciate it!

37 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

Looks to me as if it has broken off and is indeed stuck in the crown. It can still be fixed. I’m not sure about getting the end out of the crown, so maybe get a new crown as well

• 1 year later...