When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

question on oils?

horologist

To to all members that service their own movements:

How many different types of oils do you use while assembling your mechanism?  I only have used moebius d5 an 9010.   Am I doing wrong to lubricate pallet stones also with 9010?.  I know grease is also important but the blue grease is do expensive for a tinkerer like me and was wondering if there is an inexpensive substitute?  Many thanks!

stay safe!

D5, 9010, 9145 (pallet jewels) &...You're in luck, Molykote DX is a cheap alternative to 9501 (blue grease)

Just to add, oiling pallet jewels with 9010 is not a great idea as it will creep. This isn't a good scenario, especially in the escapement!

I oil my pallet jewels before I install them. Mount them in a little Rodico with the stones facing up. I then tilt them until I can see the reflection of light off the face of the jewel. I then apply a 'tiny' speck of oil to the face. and repeat on the other stone.

I have also started using Horotec Episurf treatment prior to oiling pallet stones. This is a new generation Epilame treatment. After treatment, oil applied to the pallet jewel stays perfectly in place. 

I pull the Episurf into a 1ml syringe (with needle) and carefully apply a drop to each stone and allow to dry at room temp.

You can buy small decants of Episurf on eBay.

Hi Horo,

This chart might help, it is from the Esslinger website, no copyright violation.  It's just a general application chart.

I'm not an expert on this, but (so) when I work on my own watches, I tend to go to the Miyota or ETA website and look for service info to include oiling points; and/or there are some great YouTube vids about servicing movements (I have several A7750s that I treat like ETA 7750s) where the publisher walks me through the oiling points and mentions what oil he is touching to the points as he goes along. 

Hope that helps.

Moebius Oils.JPG

Guys 
thanks a million !  I was talking to a watchmaker some months ago and mentioned to me thAt he used two seiko oils in All of his work and was able to give a longer warranty to his customers because of what he used!   Great to hear of different input and of other experiences!