When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

JK 5513

usmctowgnr

33 minutes ago, Justasgood said:

It shouldn't. Never seen and unless you are trying to pass of as other than a rep, go for it.

I concur. It bothered me more that the case is too thick and the crown is in the wrong place. I guess we each have our own little fixations. I ended up giving my JK5513 away

"So I am wanting to do a 5513.  My question is, are the cartel cases all engraved as 1680's?"

I have them both ways.  My newest one is stamped '5513' and is made for a 26.0mm dial and '21 jewel' miyotaclone.  Another older case is marked '1680' and is made for a 26.5mm dial and Eta 2836 but the slightly oversized no date dial is signed '5513'.  My guess is whatever the basic case is made to be...most of the time that is what it will have engraved between the lugs.  Most numbers are lightly laser engraved and can be sanded off in a few minutes.

I would be more concerned with lug hole location (not too high or low) and the case neck being oem spec 28.2mm.  Another thing is if the case back gasket is mounted in the case or case back...genuine 5512/13 and 1680 gaskets mount in the case back.  The 1665 cb gasket is mounted in the case.  Most 'old standard' cartel 55xx and 1680 cases have the gasket mounted in the case, newer models may be in the case back.  My newest (about 4 years old) '5513' cartel case has the gasket mounted in the case.  It really does not matter but many cartel 55xx and 1680 cases with gaskets mounted in the case may have a shorter 'skirt' on the case back where it screws down against the case where cases with the cb gasket mounted in the case back may have a slightly taller skirt making it look a bit more 'genuine'.

"It bothered me more that the case is too thick and the crown is in the wrong place."

The crown being too high or too low on the case depends on what the case was made to be (55xx or 1680), what movement it was made for, and any compromises/errors during design/machining.  Very few 'observers' will notice this because these things (in genuine form) are 50+ year old designs and most people have not seen one up close.

My older and newer midcases are fairly thin...both 5.6mm thick at the crown and 9 o'clock, the older cases all have grooves for case clamps/screws, and the lug holes are centered so they look Ok when drilled out.  Both old and new cases have 28.2mm case necks so oem spec crystals and bezels will fit.  All have the case back gaskets mounted in the cases and the older cases have a better overall finish.  The older cases are 15+ years old from back in the 'Abay' days...complete watches with brand new swiss Eta 2836 for $159 delivered.  Crazy Sale! price was sometimes as low as $99.  Hard to believe the same basic case with the gasket in the case back and a good set of letters/numbers can go for $600 to $1500 today.  Crazy!

Thanks for the info. Helps out a lot. I just got a jk 5512 from Nembo today. Tried to get the bracelet off to look at the case but the can't get the springbars to let go :( I have a gen 5513 gloss service dial lined up. Want to try to build a 5513 that looks like it has been serviced at Rolex. Looking for a gen luminova service insert and 703 crown. Also kind odd, my bracelet is a 93150 links and 580 end pieces which is good but has a 93160 clasp. 

Edited by usmctowgnr