When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Calling all the olde timers(get it) :-).........check in

Justasgood

7 minutes ago, davethecat said:

I don’t even remember when I got here. Long ago such that I remember translating the German forums when it was all we had, dealing with Maria directly, and buying round 1 of the David mystery movement. 17 years?

Every now and then I find some nostalgic part still in an envelope that I never mounted. Like Randy’s sub dots... or a handwritten from The Zigmeister. A lello something or another, and even some of Enzo’s and Torbys things before they went honest

I stopped posting around 2010 other than a sale or so. But doing well. Still have about a dozen reps. Went homage for awhile, then Gen. Still in Texas, still in healthcare, and I still browse the forum once a week or so

My last purchase, and me & my last grandkid

7f013e9b8c1f40de6dbca2e0d2a00bae.jpg

b850213d39c3ea4b61494290319eb56d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DtC,

thanks for checking in and thank you for your work in healthcare.....stay safe.  What a beautiful baby and wonderful watch..Ubi would be proud 🙂 Those parts and names you mentioned absolutely sparked my old brain. Man what a wonderful emerging hobby we enjoyed. I really don't think some of the newbies really appreciated the research, talent and know how it took to create some of the most accurate reps ever. Now it seems out of the box reps are pretty damn good and the movements have improved as well.

Blessings to you and your family and don't be a stranger,

Kurt JAG

Edited by Justasgood
  • Like 1

DtC, thanks for checking in and thank you for your work in healthcare.....stay safe.  What a beautiful baby and wonderful watch..Ubi would be proud Those parts and names you mentioned absolutely sparked my old brain. Man what a wonderful emerging hobby we enjoyed. I really don't think some of the newbies really appreciated the research, talent and know how it took to create some of the most accurate reps ever. Now it seems out of the box reps are pretty damn good and the movements have improved as well.

Blessings to you and your family and don't be a stranger,

Kurt JAG

Agreed. Cheers to Ubi

Here’s some nostalgia.

Pictured below is the first 7750 discussed on any of our forums. Received in the first week Honpo made avail & before he would send to US. This is the one Rob used to do his famous “WTF is this? ... tear down evaluation” post (TRC maybe?) he did a second post alongside my PP 5070 with what we used to call the Lemanina (sp on purpose) ....

That was Rob’s posting where he elevated the risk in the power transfer on the 7750, the lack of jewels in some pivots, and the poor engineering on the top-hold on the clickspring... this moment was a least a year prior to the shift of the seconds on subsequent 7750 mfg .... so the dial seconds doesn’t match the movement’s sub registers. That’s the post we here Rob either proclaimed or confirmed that the 5070 was actually a Venus.... and he made the analogy that “the 7750 is like a workhorse Ford and the Venus is finicky like a Ferrari”

The second is one of Trusty’s prototypes from when he was just a poster like us.... he offered this one up and another prototype from his personal collection to raise funds to start his commercial operations. 2007 maybe??? I didnt need the watch but I figured I would help him out

Neither of these guys have much value other than sentimental, since reps have long since passed them by.... but I wear them often and in fact I get a LOT of compliments on the Pam still

Enjoy

94027ae1fc7691ef144b62544bfff5e6.jpeg&key=549cfbac7b7aaa8bf00b2dbbf147d9427102f22d2d4b6411d1b10a03451540d1

• Like 1

6 hours ago, davethecat said:

I don’t even remember when I got here. Long ago such that I remember translating the German forums when it was all we had, dealing with Maria directly ...

I looked at my profile and wondered how long I've been here. I was surprised myself, I've been here for 14 years. Time flies! By the way, Maria is doing very well.

Good to hear about Maria.... who was the other expat that took the amazing pics? The one the got in the ugly pissing contest with Maria? I remember laughing at their manhood-questioning-insults.

The gent I’m thinking about passed I believe

RBJ is another that I think may have passed.

5 hours ago, davethecat said:

Agreed. Cheers to Ubi

Here’s some nostalgia.

Pictured below is the first 7750 discussed on any of our forums. Received in the first week Honpo made avail & before he would send to US. This is the one Rob used to do his famous “WTF is this? ... tear down evaluation” post (TRC maybe?) he did a second post alongside my PP 5070 with what we used to call the Lemanina (sp on purpose) ....

That was Rob’s posting where he elevated the risk in the power transfer on the 7750, the lack of jewels in some pivots, and the poor engineering on the top-hold on the clickspring... this moment was a least a year prior to the shift of the seconds on subsequent 7750 mfg .... so the dial seconds doesn’t match the movement’s sub registers. That’s the post we here Rob either proclaimed or confirmed that the 5070 was actually a Venus.... and he made the analogy that “the 7750 is like a workhorse Ford and the Venus is finicky like a Ferrari”

The second is one of Trusty’s prototypes from when he was just a poster like us.... he offered this one up and another prototype from his personal collection to raise funds to start his commercial operations. 2007 maybe??? I didnt need the watch but I figured I would help him out

Neither of these guys have much value other than sentimental, since reps have long since passed them by.... but I wear them often and in fact I get a LOT of compliments on the Pam still

Enjoy

94027ae1fc7691ef144b62544bfff5e6.jpeg&key=549cfbac7b7aaa8bf00b2dbbf147d9427102f22d2d4b6411d1b10a03451540d1

Thank breakdown was incredible. The lengths we went to to get those movements to kinda work was incredible. I remember the watches Trusty would put out. Now, I don't know what to buy or honestly " who has the best sub" 🙂

2 minutes ago, davethecat said:

Good to hear about Maria.... who was the other expat that took the amazing pics? The one the got in the ugly pissing contest with Maria? I remember laughing at their manhood-questioning-insults.

Those were epic battles. Sad to hear that we have lost some of the originals......all the more reason I wanted to at least reach out to whomever is still around just so we can stay in touch.

8 hours ago, Tom Hawkes said:

So. Where can I buy the best sub?

:ban:    

Welcome back you old codger!   :clap2:

On 5/10/2020 at 8:28 AM, davethecat said:

Here’s some nostalgia.

Pictured below is the first 7750 discussed on any of our forums. Received in the first week Honpo made avail & before he would send to US. This is the one Rob used to do his famous “WTF is this? ... tear down evaluation” post (TRC maybe?)

You want nostalgia?  Late one night in 2003 or 2004 I was checking the forum and Halley popped up on PM.  Remember him?  He had just got a teaser from some guy named David that just created a new account, and wondered if we'd be interested in some 19mm Daytona reps.  Halley said sure, send me some pics.  David did, and Halley sent these to me right away... the very first "DW Daytonas" to appear on a forum anywhere.  Me and Halley ordered the first 5 watches DW sold.

halley1.jpg

halley2.jpg

halley3.jpg

Boy, were we jazzed.  The rep world hadn't seen anything like this before.  And the rest, as they say, is history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sogeha said:

😲

1 hour ago, Nanuq said:

You want nostalgia?  Late one night in 2003 or 2004 I was checking the forum and Halley popped up on PM.  Remember him?  He had just got a teaser from some guy named David that just created a new account, and wondered if we'd be interested in some 19mm Daytona reps.  Halley said sure, send me some pics.  David did, and Halley sent these to me right away... the very first "DW Daytonas" to appear on a forum anywhere.  Me and Halley ordered the first 5 watches DW sold.

halley1.jpg

halley2.jpg

halley3.jpg

Boy, were we jazzed.  The rep world hadn't seen anything like this before.  And the rest, as they say, is history.

Damn, another 3 reps I wish I still had.

BTW, Sweet Caroline had hip surgery yesterday and is home resting. Long recovery and rehab ahead. When I had watches lying all over the place back in the day, Caroline loved to turn the bezel on my subs(Modern). She thought the sound and feel was just the coolest. She of course was and is right, so cool.

7 hours ago, Nanuq said:

halley1.jpg

halley2.jpg

halley3.jpg

that’s incredible.  Does it still run?  Or did you swap movements ?

i never bought one of the MM, but I built 2 of the V72s.  David was still answering emails up until a few years ago. He was always good to me. 

Here was my first .... spared no expense.    Sad to say I let it go..... my god, his endlinks took magic to mount properly 

CC284E0C-8739-4CC7-9EFC-08F682FE4D9C.jpeg

5 hours ago, Justasgood said:

BTW, Sweet Caroline had hip surgery yesterday and is home resting. Long recovery and rehab ahead.

Ahhhh, that's good to hear.  Take good care of that treasure of yours, big guy.

I hear pushing a lawn mower is great rehab for hips.  Just sayin............  :whistling:

• Like 1

Evening all.

Gosh, time does fly. - One minute we are laughing at Jetmid and TRL's and the next we are sitting here ( many of us ) with more grey and less hair.

Back from the days of V1, early now v2  seems a lifetime ago and RIP to those we have lost along the way.  Maybe a lesson to us all to take what we can from each day.

Anyway. - Hope your all keeping well..   me, still chasing that 'ultimate' fiddy  :o  

All the best

J

Edited by billywhiz
  • Like 2

On 5/11/2020 at 6:55 AM, davethecat said:

Are you talking about Neil aka TTK....master photog and wordsmith?...still have a pic of him and some tigers prolly at Sriracha Tiger Zoo from back in the day.

Came aboard here about 14 years ago.  Reps from MBW....to MBK...Eddie Lee's photobucket, River's Reps and DSN...wow have times changed.  Miss The Zigmeister, his work and writeups the most.

Mostly lurk and flip reps here and there on the boards now

• Like 2

Are you talking about Neil aka TTK....master photog and wordsmith?...still have a pic of him and some tigers prolly at Sriracha Tiger Zoo from back in the day.

Came aboard here about 14 years ago.  Reps from MBW....to MBK...Eddie Lee's photobucket, River's Reps and DSN...wow have times changed.  Miss The Zigmeister, his work and writeups the most.

Mostly lurk and flip reps here and there on the boards now

Yes! Neil/ TTK/TimeToKill.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Justasgood said:

Holy Crap!!!!!!! Pugster in da House......How the hell have you been old friend?

I'm still alive. Let's see, what's happened since I was last here? Um, I went self-employed (IT contractor, TTRPG games designer and motorbike racing journalist/photographer) about a decade ago and live with my missus in a cottage in Scotland. I think that's about it.

Wait no, that has the original Seiko bracelet not the mesh from the great North. Nice collection. Love the Moon , the Pumkin and the Tissot

Just now, Pugwash said:

I'm still alive. Let's see, what's happened since I was last here? Um, I went self-employed (IT contractor, TTRPG games designer and motorbike racing journalist/photographer) about a decade ago and live with my missus in a cottage in Scotland. I think that's about it.

Well that's boring. Was hoping for a little more color

This thread is reaching Hall of Fame Status

• Like 3

motorbike racing journalist/photographer)

Well dayum, where were you a couple years ago when I came over and helped AJ put a race bike on the IOM TT circuit?! Sixx came down from Scotland and that’s the last I remember for 2 weeks. :drunk:
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nanuq said:

Well dayum, where were you a couple years ago when I came over and helped AJ put a race bike on the IOM TT circuit?! Sixx came down from Scotland and that’s the last I remember for 2 weeks. :drunk:

Yes, where was I? 

Probably hard at work at the Donington World Superbike round, as it’s been the week before the TT for a few years now. What year was it? I was in touch with Sixx off-forum, after his accident, for a while.