When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Calling all the olde timers(get it) :-).........check in

Justasgood

48 minutes ago, jigelow said:

I’m not an old timer, but it’s been a while since I visited. It’s sad to see somewhere like this that has meant so much to so many slowly age. This was my go to forum and the one that had the people I trusted most. 

I wonder why. I still find RWG the best forum software/design. I think RWG also has the older more mature and knowledgeable members. 

Looking back 10 years it seemed to be RWG & RepGeek at the top. I was shocked to find that RWI is now at the top? and the younger set on reddit. 

Thoughts?

Ronin, you and Jigelo are exactly right.  The place is aging and there's not much influx of new kids to keep the place hopping.  When Whatsapp came out we lost more than a dozen of our core members, someone formed a group over there and called it RWG Elite or Alumni or something, and they left.  The interface is easier to maneuver and it works a lot better than Tapatalk, so that kinda sunk us.

It's sure great to see you and jigelow again!  Stick around, hear?

• Like 1

I believe Miss Understood moved to Only Fans (succulentsalmon?) where she's a millionaire....

More seriously, forums and the open web have so much competition from aggregators and apps (reddit and so on), and dealers are all over social media and SEO - fewer people start out on any forum to begin with.

Which is a shame, because they miss out on there being nicer corners of the internet  :drinks:

I'm gearing up for my first rep buy in years, so dusting down the saddle, and by "saddle" I mean look forward for my inevitable post bitching that all of the TD contact details on the forum are years out of date. :animal_rooster:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cornerstone is getting ready to buy a rep?  Oh this will be good.    🍿  :Jumpy:

This summer I went a little nuts buying and building dive watches, only one rep among them.  Did you know you can make a Seiko SRP Turtle into a Doxa lookalike?  That led to a very tasty Blancpain FF, then a Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, then a Maranez microbrand.   Someone stop me!!

img_7697.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robertk said:

Great collection...but, why stop now??

That was (cough) one month this summer.  I may have got a little carried away.  

Although..... I've seen a resurgence in Russian dive watches.  Some tasty stuff there....

Soviet dive watches (and cameras..) are a very interesting topic! Considering the hike in rep prices, they are bargains. (And there is also Indian hmt watches, if you will go even cheaper) 8-)

Anyway, one old thread got to my mind the other day. Nanuqs post about how much abuse a replica watch could take.. A poor Sub got trashed by his SUV, burnt and drowned... It must be close to 15 years ago, but those pictures still haunts me. 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nanuq said:

This summer I went a little nuts buying and building dive watches, only one rep among them.  Did you know you can make a Seiko SRP Turtle into a Doxa lookalike?  That led to a very tasty Blancpain FF, then a Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, then a Maranez microbrand.   Someone stop me!!

img_7697.jpg

Super line up of choices Nanuck! I especially like the Zodiac.Great summertime palette for sure.

And yes I am still around. Not sure what squares as an old timer. I think I've been around RWG for about 10 years.

• Like 1

This made me think about when I joined and realized it was over 10 years ago!  Still kicking but trying to wind down and I've been hiding out in the SE Oklahoma mountains waging war on the 'coons and armadillos since the virus snuck in...

• Like 3

JMB good move wish I was with you instead of on  the front line.

5 hours ago, Nanuq said:

img_7697.jpg

Keep going I may be able to get one when you cull the herd!

August 2006 join date for me. I remember buying by first submariner from m2m on TRC (RIP) however. In my early years, RWG was the best source of knowledge IMO. However once RWI and RG came along I was drawn to there for posting for some reason. Perhaps it was the active m2m sections. Perhaps it was the age demographics, as I was in my 20's at that time. 

I took a couple year break from reps, but it has been the VSF Omega's that drew me back in. That led to a new buying spree. 

[img]https://i.ibb.co/C9X0p8k/gray.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/Ks6fKfP/brown-00904.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/fQvJpLm/POgmt-00829.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/8NFNVv6/DSC00390.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/F7zXK5Q/blue-3.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.ibb.co/DG6JDJf/green-00938.jpg[/img]

With more on the way. 

As you can probably tell, I've also worked on my photography skills as another hobby. 

As my career began, I've also been lucky to put together a nice gen collection, and have been active on gen forums, but I will always prefer the folks on the rep forums. 

My greatest watch accomplishment has been buying a destroyed 2531.80 Bond Seamaster and using all of the skills I learned on rep repairs over the years (and parts sources) to resurrect it from the dead. It is now my favorite watch. Not only does it just feel perfect when I put it on, I have the personal satisfaction of rebuilding it by hand. 

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/46790277325_2f29de1c11_o.jpg[/img]

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47927328327_6b9db7641b_h.jpg[/img]

This year I was able to trade for one of my dream brands/watches. A Glashutte Original. As often can happen though, I find it more of a box beauty queen that I get more fun out of photographing than wearing. I plan to have her for sale soon. 

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50047940248_43bcd452d1_h.jpg[/img]

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49830394118_08c9fe59bc_h.jpg[/img]

My deep thanks to all of you for your sharing of knowledge over the years. I would not be in the same place with my collection or this hobby without RWG and its members. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, NaviChief said:

This year I was able to trade for one of my dream brands/watches. A Glashutte Original. As often can happen though, I find it more of a box beauty queen that I get more fun out of photographing than wearing. I plan to have her for sale soon. 

The Glashutte looks SO GOOD!!  :tu:

That's the way to do it.  Love it.  Get it out of the box and onto the wrist again!!  Rediscover the love!

I have a plan for Nanuq's next watch.  It needs to be a gen Doxa, but not a normal one. 

One that was a scuba find on the sea bed. 

But not a normal Doxa find on the sea bed, one that has bear claw scratches on the crystal. 

But not a normal Doxa with bear claw scratches on the crystal that's found on the sea bed. 

One where the owner was eaten by a shark. 

But not a normal bear-clawed shark-eaten Doxa found on the sea bed, one that then also went through the digestive system of an orca......and then fell into a tectonic steam vent.....

Then, just then, it's worthy....:tongue:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cornerstone said:

But not a normal bear-clawed shark-eaten Doxa found on the sea bed, one that then also went through the digestive system of an orca......and then fell into a tectonic steam vent.....

Then, just then, it's worthy....:tongue:

HAAAAAAA!!!!  I love it.  But does it have to be a Doxa?  How do you think the Nastymariner got to be so gorgeous?!  Yes, that IS an 1/8th gap between the endlinks and the case, and no, it didn't really come with a domed crystal.....    :whistling:

2old.jpg

4old.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 1:15 AM, cornerstone said:

Then, just then, it's worthy....

I hadn't finished.  Worthy.......of consideration for STAGE 2 of testing!

[Land Rover with flamethrowers rolls in over the horizon.....]

Is it just me, but if you look really closely, but does the Nastymariner have a teeny little smudge near 5 o'clock?  Fingerprint?  So hard to tell.  It's like an imperceptible, delicate blemish.

• Like 2

My gosh, you have a perceptive eye.    :cc_detective:   I was rather proud of that mark.  Its intent was subtlety, to generate the nearly imperceptible impression of fatigue.  I didn't want to make the watch look tawdry and used per se, but enjoyed.  It was with the gentlest touch imaginable that blemish was placed, not unlike the hesitant kiss of young love or the gentle brush of an angel's wing:

nastymariner_close.jpg

The dented crown, on the other hand, is an entirely different story.

dent.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

What a great post, and some great memories of the old days when we saw that transition from obvious replicas to bona fide replicas...some being indistinguishable from the real deal. And, it's great to see some familiar names of those decade old times :)

Things have really changed for me over the last 5-6 years - for the better. I've left corporate and am working for a NFP in Australia. I do miss England, but mainly my friends and family rather than the place itself now.

My collection is very basic now...Pam 111, IWC Portuguese, and a Tag Link Chrono Bourne version (gen) and a SMP 2541 (gen) that I had from the old days of being more frequent on here.

Milestones to celebrate - in this crazy time just being alive and mostly sane is my recent milestone.

I think similar to Andreww, I too drifted away due to some designs of watches just not resonating with me as much as they used to (particularly Breitling like Andreww eluded to). However, I'm finding a new taste for it now, and really like the smaller/thinner watches that actually fit my wrists....the Tudor BB58, the IWC's etc..

Anyway, great post and great to see some people from the "old times" still posting.

• Like 1